1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Battery Life on 3G ONLY with moderate to heavy use?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Eric Bishop, Jun 16, 2011.

?

How long does your Charge last on 3G-only with moderate use?

1. 6-8 hours

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. 8-10 hours

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. 10-12 hours

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. 12+ hours

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  1. Eric Bishop

Eric Bishop Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    About to pull the trigger on either the Atrix or the Charge, and I'd really like to go with the Charge. However, I CANNOT DO WITHOUT 10-12 hours of moderate use on 3G. When I unplug my phone at 4-5pm on a Friday, I need it to last until 2am...sometimes 4am.

It's fine if it's only 3G under those circumstances.

So, what's the 3G-only runtime for this phone for most people?

Advertisement

2. GunnerJim

GunnerJim Well-Known Member
    None

May 28, 2011
    Tech
    Washington State
    I get 12 hours in a 3G only world, using the phone, texting, emailing, surfing, downloading, speaker phone, bluetooth, and streaming video/audio. I go the extended battery for those 4G days in Seattle/San Diego, I believe that battery will get 18 hours in those areas, still testing it out. Did I say I was getting 30MB Down and 8MB Up in 4G/LTE? Pretty nice speeds and the Hotspot would hold pretty close to that...

Here is a review in the LG Revo section that may help you decide too:

http://androidforums.com/lg-revolution/344309-lg-revolution-vs-charge-vs-incredible-2-a.html

3. Maelstrom'

Maelstrom' Newbie
    None

Apr 24, 2011
    Physician
    Dallas, TX
    I work almost everyday 1 hour South of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex which is pretty rural. I only get 3G in that particular area. My Droid Charge does fine with moderate use. It lasts me the whole day with about 37% battery to spare. I'm sure if I pushed it, I could get a day and a half. I have auto brightness on, but I DON'T go nuts miserly turning off the Wi-Fi or GPS radios. I even have the Bluetooth radio at times. I surf, text here and there, use various apps, and of course talk. I have the stock battery. I don't have it on my on desk streaming radio stations or playing MP3's, but it isn't tucked away in it's holster all day either.

If you are in an environment with a lot of interference like a hospital, I could see battery performance varying. Also, Navigation uses a lot of juice so stay away from that feature. But overall, battery life in a 3G environment should be no problem lasting your required 12 hours. Should last longer to be honest.

4. jpog

jpog Member
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    I get 12 to 18 hrs of battery life with moderate use always connected to 4 G...I do however always hit the lock button which turns-off the diplay in between every use...

5. twistedlim

twistedlim Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Michigan
    Keep the GPS off, wifi off (go to advance settings of wifi and make sure it is in "never" for the wifi sleep policy) and watch what you have syncing. Normal stuff that I do all the time but if you use these settings you should get all the battery you need. Set it to 3g only will also help.

6. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Android Expert
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    San Diego
    I get 14-16 hours of moderate usage on 4G, so I can only imagine that you can easily get that and probably more on 3G. You can probably get 10-12 of heavy usage on 3G.

7. Eric Bishop

Eric Bishop Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    Sounds reasonable. Thanks, fellas. I think I'll wait until it hits $150 on amazon.

Yeah, I imagine that San Diego would get some of the easiest connections anywhere. Clear skies, low humidity, reasonable topography...