• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery life = suck

I live in a 4G area and I can leave my phone sit idle while doing a couple texts etc for about 30 hours. Now if I play games the battery drops like a rock!!! I guess thats to be expected running a dual core phone.

NOTE: I'm using the standard battery becasue my extended battery only gets 12 hours with the same condiontions .

Is it 30 hours idle in 4G? That's unbelievable. Even with 3G/WiFi, sitting idle in good signal area, getting over 30 hours seems tough.

Mine seems to drain about 8~9% per hour sitting idle in 4G, and I'm in medium 4G area with speed ~ 6~8Mbps. That equates to about 11~12 hours total.

Upvote 0
i've gotten over 50 hours with the standard battery with about 3.5 hours of screen on time.

See something doesn't seem right then. Today I am at 50% with 1 hour of screen on time and 5 hours on battery. That is with the extended battery. Is anyone getting awesome battery life with the extended battery? Because it seems that everyone I have seen with really good battery life is using the standard one.

Could the extended batteries be bad?

Upvote 0
Is it 30 hours idle in 4G? That's unbelievable. Even with 3G/WiFi, sitting idle in good signal area, getting over 30 hours seems tough.

Mine seems to drain about 8~9% per hour sitting idle in 4G, and I'm in medium 4G area with speed ~ 6~8Mbps. That equates to about 11~12 hours total.

This is what I usually get with the extended battery, around 11 to 12 hours total with around 2 hours screen time. That doesn't seem to be what we should be seeing using an extended battery.

Upvote 0
This is what I usually get with the extended battery, around 11 to 12 hours total with around 2 hours screen time. That doesn't seem to be what we should be seeing using an extended battery.

The extended battery is 15% bigger than the stock battery. Nobody seems to be understanding this.

Just because it says "extended" doesn't mean it automatically has a huge amount of juice. It's a tiny bit bigger, so it's only a tiny bit better.

With LeanKernel installed, it appears that my phone drops a couple % per hour when it's idle - that's it. I didn't play much with my phone today (a couple phone calls, a few text messages, checked the weather and twitter a couple times). It has currently been on for 10h 30m, screen on for 31m, and I'm at 76% battery life. That is well over 30 hours of battery with this kind of usage (i.e. not just idle, but very low usage).

Also, I leave Wifi, GPS, Bluetooth and 4G on all the time.

Upvote 0
:eek::thinking: Are you serious? Maybe someone put Razr Maxx 3300mAh battery in your Gnex?

edit: that's insane really if it's on 4G. maybe you are using app like juice defender?

no, thats on 2 bars of 3G + wifi. no battery apps installed and no custom roms.
after getting those #'s i returned the unopened extended i bought.

i'll take a look at my brothers Gnex tonight to see what his battery is like since he uses an extended.

oh and btw, i'm returning my Gnex. in addition to not being satisfied with app performance, verizon service is terrible at work, the place where i use my phone like 90% of the time. i could put up with the service as i dont make that many phone calls, but the poor service is definitely the cause of the massive battery drain i get on both the Gnex and 4S that i'm testing.

the 4S was on for 4 days of standby + 3 hours of usage with 3 bars of 3G at home+wifi.
at work, its horrific with only about 10 hours with light usage. about the same result on a Gnex as well.

so yeh, spotty service is definitely the battery killer on both devices.

Upvote 0
The extended battery is 15% bigger than the stock battery. Nobody seems to be understanding this.

Just because it says "extended" doesn't mean it automatically has a huge amount of juice. It's a tiny bit bigger, so it's only a tiny bit better.

With LeanKernel installed, it appears that my phone drops a couple % per hour when it's idle - that's it. I didn't play much with my phone today (a couple phone calls, a few text messages, checked the weather and twitter a couple times). It has currently been on for 10h 30m, screen on for 31m, and I'm at 76% battery life. That is well over 30 hours of battery with this kind of usage (i.e. not just idle, but very low usage).

Also, I leave Wifi, GPS, Bluetooth and 4G on all the time.

I know that but I should still be able to see at least a moderate upgrade in battery life, from what I am seeing the extended battery is getting just as good or worse life then the standard one.

Upvote 0
I would definitely try and get a new phone or flash a custom ROM and/or kernel. I am using Liquid's ROM and Minimalist kernel. I get around 10 hours of battery life with very heavy use. The pics I posted are of light to moderate use as you can see. I still have 48% left in the pics.
18b9c4e8-35db-aa63.jpg
18b9c4e8-35f0-aa25.jpg

Upvote 0
had mine since launch and havent had an issue with staying signed into Google Talk, I never sign out of it and it hasn't drained my battery. Mine tends to last 16-26 hours depending how much Im on it during work. Stock 4.0.2, stock kernel, setcpu ondemand when screenoff, I disable wifi , gps, nfc when I go to sleep over night, on 3G, 4G during the day. 50% brightness, auto is too dark for me

Last cycle:
Screenshot_2012batt.png

Upvote 0
If that's the best you get with 3G/WiFi, I wonder if yours or battery is defective. Is there any suspect app or have you tried factory reset? If nothing works, you better try to exchange.

I think I may be on to something...I'm at 57% after 6 1/2 hours...by far the best I've seen in 3 weeks that I've owned it. I left Wifi on all day, downloaded Juice Defender and dropped screen brightness down to 20%.

This may take care of my battery issues for the most part, but still leaves my reception in question. I'm at 79% time without a signal today. I can still make decent quality phone calls at -110 to -120 dB signal, but have absolutely not 3G data.

I thought my battery issues were related to my signal (or lack thereof), but that seems to be largely debunked. That's good news, but doesn't make my decision of whether or not to swap for a Razr any easier...

Upvote 0
I think I may be on to something...I'm at 57% after 6 1/2 hours...by far the best I've seen in 3 weeks that I've owned it. I left Wifi on all day, downloaded Juice Defender and dropped screen brightness down to 20%.

This may take care of my battery issues for the most part, but still leaves my reception in question. I'm at 79% time without a signal today. I can still make decent quality phone calls at -110 to -120 dB signal, but have absolutely not 3G data.

I thought my battery issues were related to my signal (or lack thereof), but that seems to be largely debunked. That's good news, but doesn't make my decision of whether or not to swap for a Razr any easier...

79% time without a signal is nuts. Try another phone!

Upvote 0

I have about the same life with my extended battery. For 2 hours of screen on time, I get about 8-9 hours on LTE, 11-12 on 3G, and at least 16 hours on wifi but I can't quite remember now. I have 2 extended batteries but I haven't really used the second one so maybe I should to compare and see if I got a dud.

Poor signal is a killer. I've run mine the last 2 days at work with data turned off and managed to lose just 10% in 9 hours at work with using the phone on average 4-5 minutes per hour, so for about 45 minutes in the work day. My signal floats between -120 and -100 dBm on 3G and won't even pick up 4G there.

To put that in perspective, in the same 9 hours there with the same usage, in 9 hours I lose about 60% in CDMA only mode.

Upvote 0
I would definitely try and get a new phone or flash a custom ROM and/or kernel. I am using Liquid's ROM and Minimalist kernel. I get around 10 hours of battery life with very heavy use. The pics I posted are of light to moderate use as you can see. I still have 48% left in the pics.
18b9c4e8-35db-aa63.jpg
18b9c4e8-35f0-aa25.jpg

Your mobile network signal timeline looks much cleaner than mine. I definitely think its an issue with my signal. I'm going to try to run it tomorrow on CDMA mode only instead of LTE/CDMA and see what happens.

Upvote 0

If you care about battery life, definitely do not swap for a RAZR. The battery life is similar, if not worse; only once it dies, you're stuck with it until you can charge it up. At least you can grab a spare battery for the Galaxy Nexus and pop it in as needed.

Upvote 0

I definitely get more than that. I'm in a 4G area at work, with 4G turned on all the time, no Wifi, screen brightness on auto. On standby, I drain maybe 4% or so an hour. I've been getting maybe 4.5 hours of on-screen time (unless I'm playing Pocket Frogs for a long time, seems to be a big drain there) and definitely more than 11-12 hours on standby. If I use my phone normally during the day (as in, I don't stream music over BT all day which is obviously different), I go from 8 am til 6 pm or so and usually come home with at least 40% left.

Upvote 0
So I went to bed last night and left my phone unplugged to see how the standby usage would be.

I was at 70% when I went to bed. I woke up and the phone was dead. :(

My cell standby was at 53%!!! Wifi was on all night and it was connected to that.

By comparison the rezound would drop maybe 6-7% over night. So just about 1% per hour.

I get a bar or two of 4G at my house, and like I said wifi was on the entire time. Any ideas?

You can see where it just started going down hill, just above the b and a in battery.

Screenshot_2012-01-12-08-18-15.png

Looking at the signal graph, it was red the entire time the battery drained badly. But is there any way to avoid this? Do I have to turn off mobile data entirely at night in case where I leave the phone is in a bad spot and it drains my battery like this? :(

Screenshot_2012-01-12-09-03-24.png

Upvote 0
jkc- I thought that if you had Wifi on data was disabled, but maybe I'm wrong. If the data is the problem, I suggest getting an NFC tag for the spot where you leave your phone, and you can set it to disable or toggle your data.

Yeah, that's why I'm confused. If it was on wifi, why was it trying so hard to hold onto a signal? Does the cell standby include voice/1x use/standby? I've never had a problem with voice in my house with previous phones, but I also don't make that many calls :)

I'll see how it does again tonight. Normally I leave my phone next to my bed, but last night it was downstairs. So the typical place I'd leave it is on my night stand, and if it does fine there I won't worry too much about it or I'll just plug it in before bed each night.

Upvote 0
I definitely get more than that. I'm in a 4G area at work, with 4G turned on all the time, no Wifi, screen brightness on auto. On standby, I drain maybe 4% or so an hour. I've been getting maybe 4.5 hours of on-screen time (unless I'm playing Pocket Frogs for a long time, seems to be a big drain there) and definitely more than 11-12 hours on standby. If I use my phone normally during the day (as in, I don't stream music over BT all day which is obviously different), I go from 8 am til 6 pm or so and usually come home with at least 40% left.

do you get great 4g signal?? how many Dbm do yo have avg at work? go to settings, about phone, status to see.

to me, it seems it drains faster at idle with worse reception. on extended battery i'm lucky to get 2 hrs screen time and cant make it through a whole work day. i basically just check facebook, twitter, and email and listen to music for an hour on the way to work with screen off. (local, not from the cloud)

im usually at -93 Dbm at work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones