• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life Summary Or "Let's Keep It In Perspective"

PsychDoc

May 30, 2010
NYC
I know most of us have our collective panties in a ruffle over the 2020 mAh battery of the DNA. A couple of things to consider:
  • With the exception of the Razr Maxx HD and the Note 2 this phone's battery life so far appears to be no worse than any other android phone out there....certainly the equivalent (or better) to the One X, the Gnex, GSIII, (regular) Razr HD, etc.
  • The phone uses a Super LCD 3 screen which is reputed to be 2.5x as efficient as the S-LCD 2 screen it replaces
  • Instead of having two seperate radios built in and switching between one another (3g/4g) it's now all on one chip which makes this function (very) significantly more efficient than in all previous 3g/4g phones
  • The Snapdragon S4 Pro processor only uses it's four cores as needed as opposed to the Tegra chipsets that run all four all the time
  • Many have complained bitterly that the DNA does not have a user replacable battery. These folks are implying that they need to carry around a replacement battery for those times the phone runs out of juice. There are now myriad external battery packs available (many up to 8400mAh or even higher) that are hardly larger than a spare battery and cost anywhere from $29 to whatever. I'd suggest that we start thinking of these as "a spare" for phones that have no actual replacable battery
So I think as we all angst over this we really need to keep things in perspective and appreciate what a truly amazing device this is. Sure, if we all wanted to wait for the "next greatest thing" we could wait and wait and wait, but then we'd never end up buying anything as there's always going to be a "next best thing" around the corner.

Reminds me of the concept of "paralysis by analysis" line.:D

I know most of us have our collective panties in a ruffle over the 2020 mAh battery of the DNA. A couple of things to consider:
  • With the exception of the Razr Maxx HD and the Note 2 this phone's battery life so far appears to be no worse than any other android phone out there....certainly the equivalent (or better) to the One X, the Gnex, GSIII, (regular) Razr HD, etc.
  • The phone uses a Super LCD 3 screen which is reputed to be 2.5x as efficient as the S-LCD 2 screen it replaces
  • Instead of having two separate radios built in and switching between one another (3g/4g) it's no all on one chip which makes this function very significantly more efficient than in all previous 3g/4g phones
  • The Snapdragon S4 Pro processor only uses it's four cores as needed as opposed to the Tegra chipsets that run all four all the time
  • Many have complained bitterly that the DNA does not have a user replaceable battery. These folks are implying that they need to carry around a replacement batter for those times the phone runs out of juice. There are now myriad external battery packs available (many up to 8400mAh or even higher) that are hardly larger than a spare battery and cost anywhere from $29 to whatever. I'd suggest that we start thinking of these as "a spare" for phones that have no actual replaceable battery
So I think as we all angst over this we really need to keep things in perspective and appreciate what a truly amazing device this is. Sure, if we all wanted to wait for the "next greatest thing" we could wait and wait and wait, but then we'd never end up buying anything as there's always going to be a "next best thing" around the corner.

Very lucid thoughts. I had already been thinking about the line in bold above. Sedio has a Vault and several other manufacturers also have version. Heck there is even one out there with 12000 Mah.

I am so excited to see the reviews come in as more and more get these phone and either prove or disprove the battery theory versus ust looking at numbers and complaining.

Upvote 0
  • Many have complained bitterly that the DNA does not have a user replaceable battery. These folks are implying that they need to carry around a replacement battery for those times the phone runs out of juice. There are now myriad external battery packs available (many up to 8400mAh or even higher) that are hardly larger than a spare battery and cost anywhere from $29 to whatever. I'd suggest that we start thinking of these as "a spare" for phones that have no actual replaceable battery

Generally I agree with you. For me the larger concern about the non-user-replaceable battery is can it be replaced by authorized service centers? It's depressing to think that a such a great device has to be discarded after a couple of years when the battery wears out. Until recently phones have been underpowered and we've all been happy to replace them with something better when we can upgrade, but that's changing. We are perhaps looking at the first generation of devices that are good enough to want to keep indefinitely so the thought that the battery cannot be refurbished is problematic.

Upvote 0
Might be helpful to read this article.

From here: http://www.examiner.com/article/droid-dna-the-real-battery-test

The HTC Droid DNA will officially launch this Wed November 21st. As of this writing many lucky Pre Order buyers of the device may receive it tomorrow per shipping notifications given out on Sunday. Many sites have already gotten their review units and have had the DNA for almost a week and posted up their mini reviews on important details about the device. Looking through many forums i hear that the main concern is the DNA's battery and lack of extra juice to sustain for a day (the Droid DNA will ship with a 2020mAH size battery). Here is what we see so far around the web about battery.
  • Engadget: "In terms of real-life usage, the DNA got us through a full day on moderate use"
  • Cnet: "I was surprised by the HTC Droid DNA's battery performance, as well. Despite the phone's large screen and swift performance, the handset's embedded 2,020mAh battery lasted for a long 8 hours and 43 minutes in the CNET Labs video battery drain test."
  • Gizmodo: "That big screen is paired with LTE and a relatively modest 2020 mAh Li-Ion battery, but the Droid DNA still lasted until 10pm every night with moderately heavy usage. It's certainly nowhere near the marathon levels of the Droid RAZR MAXX HD, but it outlasts the Galaxy S3."
  • TechnoBuffalo: "The DROID DNA features a 2,020mAh battery, which was able to get me to the end of the day with about a 30 percent charge."
  • PhoneScoop: "Battery life of LTE smartphones has come a long way in the last year. The DNA includes a 2,020mAh battery, which provides enough juice to use it for an entire day, even when under LTE coverage. In fact, I had a hard time running the battery down, even with intensive use. It consistently lasted longer than 24 hours."
  • LaptopMag: "The Droid DNA packs a 2,020 mAh battery that's not removable, but we saw pretty good endurance given this phone's huge display. During the LAPTOP Battery Test (continuous Web surfing over 4G LTE on 40 percent brightness), the DNA lasted 6 hours and 29 minutes. That's a half-hour longer than the 6:01 category average... The Samsung Galaxy S3 lasted 6:55, but it also has a dimmer display."
  • PCMag: "With all the processing power and the big, ultra-high-resolution display, battery life is a big concern here. The Droid DNA's non removable 2,020mAh battery was good for a solid 10 hours and 40 minutes of talk time, which is almost identical to the Galaxy S3's 10 hours and 43 minutes."
  • PhoneArena: "We were desperately hoping for the best with battery life, but alas, it puts out nothing more than average results. Charging its 2,020 mAh battery, we’re able to fly by the 10 hour mark before it’s completely depleted – thus hitting the tally we’re normally accustomed to seeing with most Verizon 4G LTE smartphones."
  • Phil Nickinson via Android Central -How I look at battery life: From the moment the phone is unplugged from the charger, it's "in use." For me, that usually starts about 6 a.m. I still think "display on time" is obsessed over a little too much. It's important, to be sure. But a poor network connection will kill a battery even if you're not using the phone. So don't discount what's happening when you're not holding the phone. Droid DNA battery life: It's good. Not just kinda good, but really good. At least as good as the Galaxy S3.
So what I am trying to get at is that with many devices it is so hard to try and calculate what battery life will really give you. The only constant in everyone using the same device is that all will have the same size 2020 mAh battery upon purchase. How it is consumed during the day is on you. I have an extended battery Samsung Galaxy Nexus with a 2100mAh size battery. I pulled on one occasion 18 hours of usage . More days I am currently only pulling about 10 hours. People would ask me when I would recommend phones how battery life is. I always would reply with "For me, battery is great but for you it may be different.". Many tests are done to test battery life and we all read them before buying a device. I am guilty of that as well. The true test though is with you as a consumer. Buy a device and utilize that grace period for you to return a device. Some carriers have 15 days if you decide to return a device for another. Stop looking at sites on how great or bad battery life can be and making your judgement on if to buy or not. A good review may produce bad results when you use the device. A bad review may steer you away from a great device and ultimately have you settle with something else. Buy the device, download all the apps you would regularly use, and continue your phone usage like it is not a new device. Of course any new device you get you may take a while to get use to it or even understand how to use it, but try and use the first couple days to get the hang of it. The last days of your return window should be full on regular usage. Determine your usage and battery consumption and from there make your judgment The Droid DNA looks like an excellent phone with stellar specs. The 1080p screen itself is a master of beauty. I myself will be purchasing one on Wednesday for myself. If I don't feel like the device is up to my standards with my own usage, then I will make my true decision to return it. I would not want myself or any other reader to be stuck with a phone they did not like for 2 years. This advice I am putting out there can go for all cell phone purchases. The holidays are coming and I hope you take this into consideration.
PS: Cell phones make great gifts. I recommend that if you are purchasing one as a gift to always buy it a few days before you give it. That way the return period can stay open in case the receiver dislikes the device, they can return for another of their choosing. Don't make judgments for others based on your usage.

Upvote 0
Agree so much about the battery life. I'm sorry...I have a Maxx HD...and anyone who compares the DNA to any phone named Maxx or Note.....should just stop it.

Different size batteries means it wont be a fair comparison from the get go. Thats like me comparing a phone with a stock battery to one with an extended battery. Basically thats what the Maxx phones and the Note 2 has. Should the DNA came with a bigger battery? Thats up for debate.... But when you compare it to phones with a similar size battery....it holds its own well.

I have said enough about reception areas and battery life the past few days. One more time....that is a battery killer most dont realize. And we all dont live n work in the same areas. I would even guess reviewers wont be in great reception areas during reviews all the time.

Reactions: Wolfedude88
Upvote 0
Thanks for the post. It's hard not to panic about the batteries as someone who is stuck trying to figure out which phone to get (replacing a thunderbolt with either a DNA or Note 2) I can talk myself out of and into the two pretty easily. Big screen vs awesome screen, battery life considerations, is NFC something to consider?, Sense vs Touch wiz, external storage...my head is spinning LOL !

Thanks for all the informative posts. Somehow, it's not making it any easier. :D

Upvote 0
Many have complained bitterly that the DNA does not have a user replacable battery. These folks are implying that they need to carry around a replacement battery for those times the phone runs out of juice. There are now myriad external battery packs available (many up to 8400mAh or even higher) that are hardly larger than a spare battery and cost anywhere from $29 to whatever. I'd suggest that we start thinking of these as "a spare" for phones that have no actual replacable battery

I started doing this about a year ago, and I think it's a better solution than swapping batteries anyway. My Imagio and Incredible battery doors both suffered under the strain of going on and off the phone so often, to the point where the Imagio door doesn't want to stay on the phone anymore. But my Bolt and Rezound are in much better shape because I haven't been swapping in spares.

Upvote 0
I'm a HEAVY user.
I also stream various videos and audio programs during the day.
It don't look like I'll get over a half a day but I didn't get over half a day on the extended batteries in my Rezound, etc either and I doubt there is a phone out there including the MAXX that would go all day with me using it.

I just plug in my phone whenever I can to recharge.
I think I'm going to get a external battery charge pack at some point.

Upvote 0
I am very impressed with the Razr M. I've had it for a month or so and I'm getting a day and a half to two days. I do try to keep my web browsing to a minimum but if the phone is used primarily for talking and texting, then the heaviest talker can get a full day out of it with no problem. I've actually been getting two full work days out of a charge with many phone calls.

Upvote 0
Honestly I find the Airplane Mode and Mobile Internet widgets to be godsends, when I'm at work or on the train or riding I just toss it into one of those modes and it basically freezes the battery drain at where it is. I left work after an eight hour shift with almost 80% remaining by just turning off the LTE when I was on the floor, I'd still get my texts and quickly duck somewhere to fire off a reply but I was still shocked by how much I had left. If more people did things like this I'm sure battery would be alot less of an issue, I doubt anyone really unplugs their phone and uses it non stop until it drains. Use LTE when you need it and don't when you don't and you should be fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones