1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Battery Life Test - Android OS

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Stigy, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    Northern VA
    Well, since disabling mobile data would make the phone useless, any work around?

Advertisement

2. keatre

keatre Well-Known Member
    None

Exactly the issue I'm running in to. Mobile data is the cause, but there's no real 'fix' at this point other than putting it on a WiFi network.

Some fixes are on the way, though.

3. BzB

BzB Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 6, 2009
    saying it's mobile data might be to general of a description. it might more related to how much syncing and related background data usage is going on. for instance i have mobile data enabled for exchange, pop3, weather, and news sync but my battery usage is normal.

battery usage definitely corresponds to how much data usage is happening in the background, but if there truly is a battery issue (which some don't experience) the culprit may be more complicated than just being mobile data in general. just a thought...

4. Romparoo

Romparoo Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 13, 2010
    Investment Banker
    Arizona
    Not sure if this helps. My mobile data, as in "data enabled" unchecked on it's own. I was receiving email and mms without any issues.

If I had to guess, it became unchecked after I did my reboot.

My Android OS is still showing 101% awake and still the screwed up 247 days on.

5. keatre

keatre Well-Known Member
    None

Hmm, to try and correct as polietly as I can, but it IS in fact mobile data. The kernel loads are way off balance, and radio commands are being over cycled. This was not an issue with gingerbread, I'm not sure why its cropping up in ICS.

Its not syncing - its the fact that your syncing over mobile data. Leave your syncs on, but WiFi, and your AndroidOS awake times will show up in relation to actual awakes - not the excessive amount demonstrated in the 'bug'.

Hope that clears up a few things.

6. 2010 ZR1

2010 ZR1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Are the people that are having issues using Google Music? I looked under the data usage and Google Music has used twice as much data in the background as the foreground. If that is constantly downloading music it could be contributing. Just a guess.

7. animalwatcher

animalwatcher Newbie
    None

Dec 19, 2011
  8. adjuster11

adjuster11 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 8, 2011
    Insurance adjuster
    Colorado
    I tend to agree. Touchdown is working fine, at the house, while on wifi

out shopping yesterday, I lost all email for 4 hours, and get the "touchdown error, not connected to a network".

I had 4g shut off, so maybe I'll try lighting it up and see if it's getting data over 4g locally while out and about.

Battery lasts way longer at home too, over a day if you're connected to wifi.

My amount of "exchange" battery use goes nuts, when I'm off wifi, 3x the screen use while out driving around.

It's 1/5th the screen, camped out on wifi.

9. BiggShooter

BiggShooter Newbie
    None

May 4, 2010
    Just thought I would share my experience with battery life on the Galaxy Nexus.

It seems that if I keep WiFi enabled (and it IS connected / within range to my home network) with the option of 'ALWAYS' [Keep WiFi on during sleep], my battery drains WAY faster (only getting 6-8 hrs of use before having to charge) and the AWAKE TIME is much longer [when checking the battery stats / ANDROID OS].

I've been doing some testing and noticed with WiFi enabled (still connected / within range to my home network] and the option of 'ONLY WHEN PLUGGED IN' or 'NEVER (INCREASES DATA USAGE), my battery will last much longer (16-18hrs of use before having to charge) and AWAKE TIME is much less [when checking the battery stats / ANDROID OS].

Has anyone else tried this method on their Galaxy Nexus to see if it's consistant with my experience on battery life??

Also, I do not KEEP WiFi enabled 24/7 on my phone. When I have access to WiFi, I will enable WiFi on my phone.

Just my two cents on the battery life issue.....Happy Holidays :)

10. crankerchick

crankerchick Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 30, 2009
    I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm only trying to help. I've been on wifi all day and still have really high awake time relative to me screen on time. My awake time for android os is sometimes higher than thetotal time on battery, which means either I can't read graphs and numbers correctly, the reporting is messed up, or something impossible is happening and we are all going to die.

Example:
    Took my phone off the charger at 100% and on wifi. Total timeon battery is now 8 hr 8 mins but android OS awake time is 9 hr 25 mins. :-O

Screen on time is 3hr 26 minutes and battery has depleted to 31%.

I have seen my android os awake time increase 5 minutes when only 3 minutes has elapsed according to the time on battery.

Again, only trying to help. I've read your posts and others and understand youguys believe the bug is always there it is just not as bad on wifi.

11. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Android Expert
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    I understand what you're trying to say about WIFI being a fix but it is not at all the case in my situation. My awake times are within a few minutes of each other whether or not I am on mobile data or WIFI and way great than they "should" be. I would not doubt that data is a large piece of the puzzle, however Wi-Fi has not at all been a fix in my case.

12. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    Northern VA
    Ran this test tonight. Unfortunately I realized that I had juice defender running.

Results, I was really surprised. Juice defender must be working. Last time I had a similar time, Android O/S was over an hour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Yaksha

Yaksha Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 15, 2010
  14. soy.lor.n

soy.lor.n Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 10, 2010
    atl
    I don't guess I followed the rules exactly because I glanced at the screen a couple times before pulling the screenshots, but hopefully this is still helpful since it ran like the first 7 hours with the screen off the whole time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you make it more clear how to do the second part for rooted users then I can do that too. I'll even re-charge it and do it again if that's more useful.

15. stpbby

stpbby Member
    None

Nov 27, 2009
    I/T Ninja
    Oklahoma
    Just cleared battery stats, starting the test now.

Tags: