• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life - The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Does your phone drop 10% quickly in the morning after a full night of charging?

• Yes

Votes: 436 79.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 74 13.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 40 7.3%

• Total voters
I'm unrooted and fairly stock. I updated last night and my phone has been on the USB cable connected to the netbook ever since. I went into a meeting and unplugged the phone at 10 AM at 100%. At 10:26 I was down to 87%. It was just sitting on the table. It is set to CDMA, PRL's updated, Talk is off, Background Sync is off, Wifi was off, 4G was on but I'm in a 4G area. GPS was off, 'Enable always on mobile data' was off, and no task killers were running.

It stabilized at 87% but it was a precipitous drop! Hope that gets fixed one of these days.....:(

Upvote 0
I'm unrooted and fairly stock. I updated last night and my phone has been on the USB cable connected to the netbook ever since. I went into a meeting and unplugged the phone at 10 AM at 100%. At 10:26 I was down to 87%. It was just sitting on the table. It is set to CDMA, PRL's updated, Talk is off, Background Sync is off, Wifi was off, 4G was on but I'm in a 4G area. GPS was off, 'Enable always on mobile data' was off, and no task killers were running.

It stabilized at 87% but it was a precipitous drop! Hope that gets fixed one of these days.....:(
It's not a "problem" but rather an intentional decision to manage the longevity of the battery over its lifetime. It's called float charging and though you may not have realized it, many products charge their lithium ion batteries this way.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Not to hammer the issue or anything, but...

If you are not using a task killer lets see what is running in the background?
1.)News
2.)gmail
3.)internet
4.)facebook
5.)market
6.)sprint zone
7.) voice mail
8.)messages
9.)clock
10.)google search
11.)footprints
12.)amazon mp3
13.)stocks
14.)qik
15.)sprint navigation
16.)sprint football
17.)voice dialer
18.)nascar
19.)fm radio.
20.) sprint tv
That is 20 programs that you can not delete, modify, or change in any way that is always running in the background. Yes, I know how android uses memory. But what happens when the program like facebook, nascar, sprint tv actually do not go dominant, but continuously stay away eating at radio time to "update themselves"?

All of those programs you can not turn of or remove. They are automatically on you phone and updating. They are not dormant but actively working in the background, continuously.

Those twenty programs just hammer on battery life when you live your phone unattended.

But you can do an experiment. Force close those programs using the program manager. You will need to do it repeatedly, they will continue to reload if you do not. See how your battery life is then.

Upvote 0
I was never one to complain about battery life on the EVO. I averaged 12hrs a day without holding back (not going crazy either) and since Froyo, my battery is downright abysmal. 6hrs today with just the 3G radio on killed it. I always thought the CDMA-GSM trick worked, and now I'm at a loss. Any suggestions, or if this is a widespread issue? I thought Froyo was supposed to better battery, not decrease it.

Upvote 0
My battery life has been FANTASTIC after updating to 2.2! I've never rooted, used the official OTA, no task killers ever. As it was all meant to be done.

I unplugged my EVO last night around 1am, woke up at 8am to 93% battery. I've been texting, using Pandora, installing apps, running mobile backup and light YouTube usage and am sitting pretty at 52% at 5:30pm. I would be at 10% by now pre-froyo.

Thanks Google!

Upvote 0
I was never one to complain about battery life on the EVO. I averaged 12hrs a day without holding back (not going crazy either) and since Froyo, my battery is downright abysmal. 6hrs today with just the 3G radio on killed it. I always thought the CDMA-GSM trick worked, and now I'm at a loss. Any suggestions, or if this is a widespread issue? I thought Froyo was supposed to better battery, not decrease it.

is your phone sleeping?

Upvote 0
Anyone having battery life issues after the phone has been on for a while go under settings>About Phone>Battery under this check your up time vs awake time.. your up time should be a far higher amount of time compared to awake time.... If it is exactly the same or close then you may have an app that is incompatible with froyo that is causing the system to not sleep therefore battery goes away rather quickly... if that isn't issue then idk but since update have seen alot of post where people had this issue deleted a bad app and bam battery issue solved.

edit: @basso barely though :)

Reactions: mted558
Upvote 0
Anyone having battery life issues after the phone has been on for a while go under settings>About Phone>Battery under this check your up time vs awake time.. your up time should be a far higher amount of time compared to awake time.... If it is exactly the same or close then you may have an app that is incompatible with froyo that is causing the system to not sleep therefore battery goes away rather quickly... if that isn't issue then idk but since update have seen alot of post where people had this issue deleted a bad app and bam battery issue solved.

edit: @basso barely though :)

That's the first thing I checked and while mine is awake more than it should be it was not awake nearly enough to drain the battery the way it did.

Upvote 0
I was having great battery life after a hard reset as well as a great uptime to awake time ratio. However, this afternoon after I restarted my phone and all of a sudden my uptime = awake time and battery life began to plummet significantly faster than it had been for the past day.

I haven't changed anything since the restart. I uninstalled all apps I added and restarted the phone again, but the uptime still = awake time. Checked what's running and nothing out of the ordinary is popping up besides what's stock. I even have background data turned off.

I have also noticed the lag between portrait and landscape. It takes 2-4 seconds for it to switch now.

*** Trying another hard reset to see if that remedies the problem ***

*** Hard reset fixed the uptime to awake time ratio; adding apps/widgets one by one to see which one screws with it***

Upvote 0
*** Hard reset fixed the uptime to awake time ratio; adding apps/widgets one by one to see which one screws with it***

Please post what you find. My uptime = awake time also (since installing 2.2 this morning), and battery is being eaten alive. Would like to avoid hard reset if possible, but will do so if no other option. If you find an app/widget that is causing the problem, and post it, others can benefit potentially. Thanks.

Reactions: cardinalspies
Upvote 0
I unplugged this handset at midnight with 100% charge at 5am when I woke up I found this. This has never happened before.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    484.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    490.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    541 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones