1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Battery life-turn off "phone"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by markc2, Jun 29, 2011.

1. markc2

markc2 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 22, 2010
    Perrysburg, Oh.
    Greetings.
    Nook Color running CM7 off 8 gig class 4 card. Battery seems to go quickly. A lot of it is used up by phone standby and phone idle.
    How do I disable phone options while keeping wireless signal? Airplane mode kills all of it. Thanks.

Advertisement

2. TheAmazingDave

TheAmazingDave Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    IT Helpdesk Technician
    The 408
    I just read some valuable information on this. This is the fact; Nook has no cellular radio, and there is no power consumption used by the "phone". A member at XDA did a pretty definitive test, using special software to monitor battery drain (no, not the Android battery-use control panel) and was able to conclude that there is zero battery drain from cell stand-by and phone use, regardless of what the control panel says.

What's likely happening is that other software is calling to the phone subsystem (think contacts for instance) and the phone process runs occasionally. Android registers this process use as phone battery use, but that is misleading to us.

Disabling or removing the phone apk's may carry unforeseen negative circumstances.

PS: you can turn WiFi and BT back on after enabling Airplane mode. You'll find, however, that this does not affect the "phone's" battery use.

3. Valkerie

Valkerie Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    The Android battery use panel only reports what it thinks is using power, not necessarily what truly is using power. Kind of like the dreaded 50% bug on some phones. People think it drains the battery, but it's really just a reporting error.

4. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    If you check your computer's cpu use from Task Manager, you'll see "system idle process" is using most of your cpu, which just means the computer is doing nothing most of the time. "Phone standby" and "Cell standby" are similar on Android systems.

Latest CM7 versions (aka nightly builds) have better battery life.

You guys shouldn't be using airplane mode since that'll cause your NC to power up with wifi off every boot after that. :D

5. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Lurker
    None

Jul 1, 2011
    My first question answered before I ask it. Thanks.