1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Battery life twice as long with wifi vs 4G

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Ron777, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Ron777

Ron777 Lurker
    None

Aug 31, 2016
    Male
    Well it sort of explains itself. Battery life on my Samsung S7 is about 2 days with my usage when connected to wifi. When I shut wifi off and only use data I get a max of 1 day .... the batter drain is significant.

I am pretty sure that this is a android bug, because this is the second mobile I am experiencing this battery drain with.

Use to have a Sony X3 Compact and bought the X5 Compact cause I loved the battery life so much. Much to my disappointment the battery life of the X5 was about half that of my X3. I even experienced it draining a full battery and switching off during one night. I of course was convinced that the X5 must have had a defect battery and got it changed. It didn't help and after getting the device changed for a brand new mobile with no better result I demanded my money back.

So know I bought the S7 and the only thing I can pin this problem on is the "phone radio bug" that exists on the newer versions of android. My HTC One Mini and Sony X3 Compact running KitKat have normal battery drain running 4G. My HTC X5 Compact and Samsung S7 handsets are just going through the battery like crazy on 4G even though they should have much superior battery life.

It amazing how many people have this battery drain problem and yet there is absolutely no sign of any official statement on this to be find on the internet.

Please ..... anybody have any experience like this.

Advertisement

2. Ron777

Ron777 Lurker
    None

Aug 31, 2016
    Male
    I might add I live in Cambodia. I don't know if this would have any influence? Probably shouldn't cause my mobiles running on android version before Lollipop haven't had this problem.

3. psionandy

psionandy Android Expert

Dec 5, 2009
    Male
    Gizmonic Institute - mug in a yellow jumpsuit
    liverpool
    I'd always expect WiFi to use less power than 4g.. Just based on the fact that your WiFi router is much closer to you than the mobile Base Station which could be kilometres away.

AZgl1500 likes this.
  4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    What he said ^^^^^^^

5. Ron777

Ron777 Lurker
    None

Aug 31, 2016
    Male
    Hi thanks for answer.

Yes I agree but still surprised it lasts twice as long ...