• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Life While Playing MP3's

I attached my phone to my computer speakers at work today because no one else was around to complain about my music. Anyway I had 99% battery life at 9:00 AM. At 10:30 I was down to 15% and my battery monitor was complaining! I usually get good battery performance from this phone and I find it surprising that a single app like MixZing would drain so much power from the phone. The screen was dimmed through most of this time. I am in a basement office (I know) and have no WiFi or G3. Was the phone trying to connect to the net with the change of each song?? That's the only thing that I can think of. BTW the back of the phone is actually warm. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi.

What firmware are you running? I've played Meridian on a 4hr journey a few times over the last few months using the car stereo and not had it drain that much.

My firmware is at R2BA020 and the phone indicates that is up-to-date. I've seen references to 026 but I think it's dependant on the carrier and I'm on Rogers in Canada.

Upvote 0
I have found any music player killed the battery on my X10 an you say your back cover is warm, I have had my battery hit over 60deg when plugged in and playing music!

I'm currently using an old Galaxy Portal and can go to sleep listening to a pod cast wake up and only use around 10% of the battery and the temp is around 25-30deg. If I did that with the X10 the battery would be dead or if on the charger the battery temp would be off the scale!

Upvote 0
Weird.

I've had my phone unplugged for 31 hours now, and I've listened to my mp3s using mixzing for about 1 hour of that time (via headphones) and volume almost full and my battery is still at 54% [I use the Battery Droid Widget]

The only other things the phone has done is receive emails via gmail and moxier and I had a 1 minute phone call.

All my mixzing settings like download album art are off.

Upvote 0
anyone whos phone either makes it into the second day mark without a charge is either using a bigger battery or has everything on the phone turned off or has it cycling once an hour or so. i play music for 4 hours and my battery is dead. i use juice defender pro on it, right now ive got about 35% life left, ive sent 15 text messages and made a 2 minute phone call. other than that havent touched it. theres no point in shutting off all the good things the phone can do just to make the battery last through the night, im more than happy if it makes it till i go to bed on a single charge. :)

Upvote 0
I'm currently at 47% battery remaining and I've been unplugged now for 39 hours.

During that time:
wifi - off
b/t - off
gmail - direct push on 24/7
moxier mail/calendar- direct push from 8am to 8pm, polls every 1 hr after that.
MixZing - listened to mp3s for about 45 -60 minutes (Album art download off) Full headphone volume.
Seesmic - checked twitter on app open (5 minutes) - don't have it pushes updates all the time [not a big twitter fan]
Phone call - 2 calls totalling 5 minutes
10-15 Text messages sent/received.
set alarm clock
a few minutes of web browsing using Dolphin browser.
no timescape usage/no accounts assigned to it.
I think My lookout also ran a backup.

Screen setting is set to auto. I found this does increase battery life instead of having it on super bright.

App killers - off, but a few times I go in and do a manual kill all.
I also use ADW Launcher with iDroid theme.

I swear that's it and that's the truth.

My battery would die after a day, but once i stopped using task killers on autokill, reduced screen brightness and switched to ADW Launcher, I'm finding the battery is getting me a lot more mileage.

Running f/w R2BA020 (Rogers)

Upvote 0
anyone whos phone either makes it into the second day mark without a charge is either using a bigger battery or has everything on the phone turned off or has it cycling once an hour or so.
Or perhaps you're running old firmware, have a bad app installed, didn't cycle your battery properly when you first got your phone, I don't know. :thinking:

i play music for 4 hours and my battery is dead.
Mine isn't, and that's playing it through the car stereo.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones