1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Battery life WiFi calling vs 2g, 3g, 4g lte

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Android Question

None
    Just got an S7 and when trying to conserve battery life by turning on airplane mode...in other words cellular off I tried to make a call and it brought me to the WiFi calling setup screen. I didn't know this existed but now know you can do EVERYTHING via WiFi, phone calls, texting, even MMS texting.

So, my question is which is better on the battery for phone calls and texting? WiFi on and cellular off? Or turning WiFi off and just using cellular?

In case it matters, let's use my home for example where I usually have one or two bars of cell service. Obviously perfect WiFi. I have Verizon also. I just tested, fluctuates between one and two bars which is beteeen -114 and -118dB signal on the "Network cell info LTE" app also showing 4g signal.

Advertisement

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    Hmm, never thought of that! Interesting question indeed!
    My guess would be wifi would be the battery saver depending on the cell signal strength as the device would not be searching/compensating for variations in cell strength when wifi is always strong.

Let's see what others' input is.

Again, interesting question! I like it!

3. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    The WiFi most of the time will be easier on the battery...

but, it depends on how close to the cellular tower you are.

if you are adjacent to it, a few blocks away, most likely will not make any difference.

however, if you are at the extreme range of communication, which causes the phone's Radio Transmitter to really have to ramp up the Power so the cell site can hear it........ then that is going to eat up more battery power.

it is a Catch 22, you have to know what the facts are.

but, by and large, WiFi is going to win out.

Mikestony likes this.
  4. bmcelvan

bmcelvan Lurker
    None

Jul 22, 2014
    So, can you think of a good test to test this? I feel as though just using phone one way one dayand then the other another day has too many variables to be a good test

5. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    WiFi calling should be the winner here, since it turns the cellular radio completely off leaving only the WiFi radio on. Especially so if your cell signal is not that strong as the phone will have to ramp up its transmit power. With your home WiFi this is now a non-issue.
    Also on WiFi there is no periodically pinging a tower (might ping an online server but this is less power-intensive).
    I always have my WiFi calling on at home.