1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

battery life with and without a simcard installed

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mattressback, May 31, 2010.

1. mattressback

mattressback Member

May 28, 2010
    hi, 2nd question here

still in 14 day trial period with my desire so havent installed a simcard yet.

ive been pretty impressed with the battery life so far, got 30hrs+ after first charge and on the 2nd charge i enabled wifi and left it switched on, im up to 21 hours with just under 50% left.

both these runs were done without a simcard installed, when i put my sim in can i expect this to greatly impact on battery consumption? even with it set on GSM network

at the min my battery shows (cell standby 26%, battery used by cell radio) is this not the phone looking for a mobile signal which is what it would be doing with a sim installed?)

thanks
    mike

Advertisement

2. twisted_mind

twisted_mind Well-Known Member

May 8, 2010
    Mumbai, India
    With a sim card in, naturally the phone would use more battery power to latch onto a network. If you are on 3G, the drain would be even more pronounced obviously.
    A lot of folks turn off mobile network when they don't need the data connection. I do the same as well, and the battery savings are indeed noticeable.
    You could either setup a widget for this from the homescreen click +, settings > mobile.
    An alternative way is to hold the power button down and from the menu that appears onscreen, turn off the mobile network.

3. mattressback

mattressback Member

May 28, 2010
    arr i see, so im not really getting a true reflection of battery life runing it without a sim then, shame

Tags: