• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life?

I dont see any difference with using an app killer especially with Froyo there's just no need for them i only use it if an app crashes and wont end.
3G will kill the battery and with the internet enabled and sync on it wont last more than a day.

I am leaving 3 mobile as they rely on a 3G signal and switching to GiffGaff ( o2 )
and i will use a 2G signal on that sim and then switch to 3G when ever i need it really like for internet or uploading pictures.

Upvote 0
Alright, I think I've got this figured out, I got myself an app from the Android market called Advanced Task Manager, which allows you to kill the apps you don't want running in the background, some apps pop up immediately again, but you can allow auto kill on those apps by entering the apps settings (enter the app and hit menu and from there to settings) the apps are killed while the phone is idling, you can also turn on notification when you unlock the phone how many apps were killed and how much memory is being used.

I have selected these apps to be killed automatically:

Facebook
FM Radio
Footprints
Friend Stream
Google Search
News
Peep
Stocks

I got another app called Battery Watcher which seems to be more accurate than the standard battery icon, this app shows the health of the battery and shows how much time has passed since it was unplugged (resets though when the phone is rebooted) also the app shows the voltage being delivered from the battery (which should be around 4 volts) and it shows the battery temperature (shows 26.2

Upvote 0
Hmm..

Now there are 26 hours since I unplugged my phone..

Battery remaining 79%

That means the phone used 21% of the battery over 26 hours in an average use with the setup of autokill listed above and the other battery saving settings..

All in all I'm pretty thrilled by that result, since my old phone LG Viewty which had a smaller screen and less screen resolution along with a crappy firmware used up 50% of the battery in less than 10 hours.

Upvote 0
Just to jump in to this long subject.

I am disgusted by the battery life of the Wildfire. I understand this is a smartphone. HTC should never have released this phone or the desire or others with such dire battery standby times.

I am charging my phone every night. Is this acceptable? NO!

I emailed HTC for advice and support. I can

Upvote 0
What's wrong with charging every night?
As long as it lasts all day (which is does) I don't have a problem.

When I had my Bold 9700 i used it for tracking my routes when mountain biking. I'd use the GPS and data (3G) quite heavily and the battery life was very good. I used the Wildfire for the same purpose and find after 10 hours I need a power socket and a charger at hand. I go out for a weekend with bike and tent and not be near a power socket for a day or so. I aint gonna use the car as this isn't practical.

To cut to the point, I dont find the Wildfire fits the purpose that it is intended for. If charging it everynight is the only way to ensure a decent days use then the phone hasn't been built for the purpose intended, or advertised.

JamesT: would you be happy charging your car battery everynight so you could use it the next day. I know I'd get annoyed.

each to their own.

Upvote 0
I use sync manually via the power control widget. This is an invaluable little tool in my opinion, also at night i set the alarm and then set the phone to airplane mode which is also good for the battery. The 3g signal in my area is woeful so i set the phone to gsm only.

I'm not a heavy user so maybe thats why my battery is good. For those of you who do struggle with battery life, it's worth noting that Mugen Power make an extended one for the Legend. 1800mah should be good enough i think, the Wildfire uses the same battery as the Legend.:D

no wonder.. i have to charge it every day.. i text all the time and attend quite a number of calls.. :D

Upvote 0
Guys Guys Guys,

Cool down.

Well in my opinion it really depends on how often you use the phone. I use the phone alot, Facebook , Twitter, Youtube, games, BBC News, but i only put it in charge like every 2 days and thats at night for like 5 hours and its full charge again.

After all look on the bright side, You do so much. If you want a longer battry life just stick your charger in your phone and play on your phone at the same time.

Done.

Upvote 0
My Wildfire battery lasts me for four (4) days. I keep switched off the Mobile Data conection and only turn it on when I need to use the internet or sync the weather and email info. I keep it off because when I looked at my online mobile bill usage, I noticed that the phone would connect to the internet (Data usage) every 15-20 minutes to keep all running widgets updated. Syncing is off - I manualy sync as and when required. GPS is off, turn it on only if required. Before I go to bed I put the phone in Flight mode. With casual voice and texting use and the occasional play with the phone, my Wildfire lasts four days between charges. I guess if I was also using the Task Manager app to kill other processes that may go even further.

Upvote 0
After having the Legend and the Desire, i thought the battery life would be about the same on the Wildfire. So i am pleasantly surprised that it is actually better on the Wildfire. I know there are several reasons( weaker processor, screen etc) but this is day number 4 since it's initial charge and i will probably charge it tonight. Turning out to be a great little phone this!

Day 4 !!! I am a bit surprised. Don't u use Internet on Cell? I am regular Internet user on cell, not that crazy usage though but still Gmail and other stuff. I use to charge in almost 24 hrs !
And yes there r apps which saves battery also but still !!

Upvote 0
Alright, I think I've got this figured out, I got myself an app from the Android market called Advanced Task Manager, which allows you to kill the apps you don't want running in the background, some apps pop up immediately again, but you can allow auto kill on those apps by entering the apps settings (enter the app and hit menu and from there to settings) the apps are killed while the phone is idling, you can also turn on notification when you unlock the phone how many apps were killed and how much memory is being used.

I have selected these apps to be killed automatically:

Facebook
FM Radio
Footprints
Friend Stream
Google Search
News
Peep
Stocks

I got another app called Battery Watcher which seems to be more accurate than the standard battery icon, this app shows the health of the battery and shows how much time has passed since it was unplugged (resets though when the phone is rebooted) also the app shows the voltage being delivered from the battery (which should be around 4 volts) and it shows the battery temperature (shows 26.2

Upvote 0
I got my wildfire S 4 days ago and i'm so disappointed :( the phone is great but the battery is very bad. Yestreday I downloaded an app killer and battery saver, disabled everything that I don't need (WiFi, Bluetooth etc) and charged the phone before I went to bed. It was 100% charged. I then turned off the internet and all and when i woke up this morning the battery was completely dead. I feel like throwing the phone out of the window, but still i paid some money for it :'( I'm thinking about getting my old good Samsung Galaxy back. It's not a smartphone and it's not as class but at least I charge it maybe twice a week if I use it a lot, and I have it for 1 and half year.

Upvote 0
I've had mine for a week and only charged it 3 times!! The battery life on mine is great. I play games, check weather, use it for messaging and calling lots and it checks my Gmail account too. No complaints about battery life from me.

Hi mate, could you plz let me know how did you increase ur HTC Wildfire S battery power? as mine one started to get warm, really warm within 20-30 mins on texting, I got that changed from the shop and again the new one does same, please advise, my email is shajee_9 @ hotmail.com.
will appreciate your prompt reply,

many thanks
Regards,
SHAJ

Upvote 0
Hmm..

Now there are 26 hours since I unplugged my phone..

Battery remaining 79%

That means the phone used 21% of the battery over 26 hours in an average use with the setup of autokill listed above and the other battery saving settings..

All in all I'm pretty thrilled by that result, since my old phone LG Viewty which had a smaller screen and less screen resolution along with a crappy firmware used up 50% of the battery in less than 10 hours.

hi mate, I have downloaded that AppKiller Task Manager, but how do you set it to run automatically on your HTC Wildfire S, as I have do click on the application each time and then kill the apps which i dnt want to?

thanks in advance

Upvote 0
I think the Wildfire's battery life is excellent. Yesterday I've been playing with my phone all day (it's new, you know how it is:)) Wifi and Bluetooth was on all the time. Did a lot of surfing, a lot of downloading, while I listened to music all the time, installed and removed apps, and after maybe 7 or 8 hours the battery was still at 60%

Overall, I am very pleasantly surprised by this little phone!

I have had my phone for quite some time & my battery never lasts this long with all of these turned on. Any suggestions please?

Upvote 0
I am also facing the battery problem on my HTC Wildfire. Bought the phone about 15 months ago.

The problem is the battery running out of power frequently and needs to be charged frequently.

Even installing a new battery, the problem continued.

Now there is a problem of charging the phone, even after keeping on charge for 24 hours the phone does not gets fully charged , red light remains on.

Took phone to the authorized service centre at Hyderabad, A.P. India (Mobitech Service Center).

After testing for two days they said the motherboard should be changed costing Rs. 7,000/-

I am unable to understand why the motherboard should be changed when all the other functions on the phone are working.

Wrote to HTC main office in Delhi.

They called up and said that they have spoken to the Mobitech Service Center and told them to try loading the OS again and see if the charging problem is solved.

Any suggestions from members.

Waiting for reply

A. S. Bhasker Raj
Secunderabad
India
Mobile:+919247332574
email ID: bhasker.raj48@gmail.com

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones