• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life??

That's impressive...so impressive that it makes me wonder if I have a bad battery or if browsing is more power intensive like GPS (i.e. although the Display used most of the power in this experiment, if he had run navigation for the entire test I think the maps app may've overtook it; or at least been comparable.) as opposed to being fairly passive like media playback, because i don't see a battery life of close to this long, if I browse continuously.

I know that I can't make it through a day, and can't wait until an extended battery is available.

Upvote 0
That's impressive...so impressive that it makes me wonder if I have a bad battery or if browsing is more power intensive like GPS (i.e. although the Display used most of the power in this experiment, if he had run navigation for the entire test I think the maps app may've overtook it; or at least been comparable.) as opposed to being fairly passive like media playback, because i don't see a battery life of close to this long, if I browse continuously.

I know that I can't make it through a day, and can't wait until an extended battery is available.

I don't know what your circumstances are but if you're in an area where the phone is often switching between 3G and 1X (like an office with bad reception) it will use up more battery. That could easily cut your battery life in half.

Upvote 0
got mine with 60% battery pre charged by moto, used it for 9 hours down to 20% installing apps, and being online, then charged it to 100% on the dock while it was on (i feel bad since i usually charge phones off) unplugged it at 2am, its now 9:15 and its sitting at 80%. email pulls every 15 min, texting, 3G, GPS off, and my beautiful widged updating once an hour.

Upvote 0
So far I'm extremely concerned with battery life. I have all services turned off. I had my phone on a charger all day yesterday until 6 pm. Took it off charge and it immediately dropped to 90% charge within maybe 5 minutes. Did some texting and messaging, downloaded some apps, etc, and turned the phone OFF at 11:30 with the battery at 60% (only 5.5 hrs - not great). When I turned the phone ON this am at 6:00 the battery was down to 30%...so it lost 30% overnight, while off. I did some light messaging this morning until about 8:30 am when the battery completely died. I had it on a charger for about 2 hrs til it got a full charge and pulled it off the charge. 10 minutes later I am down to 90% already.

This is not good. I'm happy to hear not everyone is having this issue, but it's most definitely an issue.

Thoughts anyone? Like I said, all services are off - GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth. The phone is just sitting here with the battery discharging quickly

Upvote 0
So far I'm extremely concerned with battery life. I have all services turned off. I had my phone on a charger all day yesterday until 6 pm. Took it off charge and it immediately dropped to 90% charge within maybe 5 minutes. Did some texting and messaging, downloaded some apps, etc, and turned the phone OFF at 11:30 with the battery at 60% (only 5.5 hrs - not great). When I turned the phone ON this am at 6:00 the battery was down to 30%...so it lost 30% overnight, while off. I did some light messaging this morning until about 8:30 am when the battery completely died. I had it on a charger for about 2 hrs til it got a full charge and pulled it off the charge. 10 minutes later I am down to 90% already.

This is not good. I'm happy to hear not everyone is having this issue, but it's most definitely an issue.

Thoughts anyone? Like I said, all services are off - GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth. The phone is just sitting here with the battery discharging quickly

Do you have any apps that are constantly updating/synching? like facebook notifications or e-mails? Having just a handful of those always checking for updates will drain your battery pretty nicely...

Upvote 0
Just throwing this in, even though it's basically been said many times..

The iPhone battery goes quick.. My boyfriend has the new one 3GS and all day while he is at work he constantly has to put it on the charger because he is txting me, making phone calls, using the maps app, browsing the web, app store, reading e-books, etc.. His phone is also jailbroken and his battery life is BAD. I'll be playing cluedo on a half battery on his phone and after maybe an hour it will notify me of a low battery.

Also, for me, on the Droid, my battery life has been going quick because I have been browsing the market, downloading, uninstalling, trying out EVERYTHING and it still lasts me from maybe 9am til 6pm which is a decent amount of time considering what I am doing on it. I have like 15 apps already that I am constantly opening and checking.

Perhaps your battery is not a good one and it needs to be returned for a new one. But also, if your phone was at 90%, you had it on the charger for a few minutes, then took it back off, it obviously wont be back up to 100% it may say 100 for a brief moment but it definitely isn't fully charged.

Upvote 0
After tweeking a few things I've noticed that my battery last much longer now. With average phone use and browsing, emailing and app downloading and use of apps. My battery now has lasted for a one day and 10 hours still going strong with 20% left. I thank all the people that help with this, though i'm still concerned that i wasnt able to charge the phone fully when i got it. Is there going to be a problem there or should i not worry?

Upvote 0
After tweeking a few things I've noticed that my battery last much longer now. With average phone use and browsing, emailing and app downloading and use of apps. My battery now has lasted for a one day and 10 hours still going strong with 20% left. I thank all the people that help with this, though i'm still concerned that i wasnt able to charge the phone fully when i got it. Is there going to be a problem there or should i not worry?

What did you do?

Upvote 0
What did you do?
What do you mean? if you've you read this thread i asked the first question. But if you mean what happened, when i got the phone i wasnt able to charge it fully so i left it on and it died then i charged it fully after that. The reason why i ask that is because some people have said that if you dont charge it fully when you unbox it then there might be problem with the battery holding it charge.

Upvote 0
This!

I've noticed that most iPhone owners do not like to admit defeat, and will do so at the expense of their souls. :D

I'm glad you added the "most" qualifier. As a former iPhone user, I will say that what the iPhone has is polish and panache. The Droid has a certain panache all its own and therein is the charm!

I live in a reality-based world and my views are thoroughly reality-based. Therefore I have come to the conclusion that the iPhone is an inferior platform for any sort of advanced computing tasks - exactly the types of tasks that the Android platform excels in.

Upvote 0
unplugged at 0530 this morning to go to PT
Wifi, and Bluetooth Enabled, Google Voice, Push Gmail and Facebook Sync enabled.
20 Minutes of Bluetooth A2DP audio to my car stero on the drive in
20 Minutes more on the drive home
20 Minutes more after breakfast on my drive to the motorpool
Mild playing around with facebook at the motorpool
7 Minutes of music on way to office
20 Minutes on way home for lunch
20 Minutes going back to office
10 Minutes on my way to Food Lion
1 Minutes call with my wife
10 Minutes on my way home
1730 Plugged back in phone was at 40 percent
22% Display
13% Android OS
12% Wifi
11% Phone Idle
10% Cell Standby
10% Browser
8% Android System
7% Voice calls
4% Mediaserver?
4% Bluetooth
2% Android Core Apps

Upvote 0
I'm glad you added the "most" qualifier. As a former iPhone user, I will say that what the iPhone has is polish and panache. The Droid has a certain panache all its own and therein is the charm!

I live in a reality-based world and my views are thoroughly reality-based. Therefore I have come to the conclusion that the iPhone is an inferior platform for any sort of advanced computing tasks - exactly the types of tasks that the Android platform excels in.

I'm sorry to point this out and im sure you are aware of but apple will soon come out with something that far exceeds the droid. But for now we can all bask in the the greatness that we hold in our hand.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry to point this out and im sure you are aware of but apple will soon come out with something that far exceeds the droid. But for now we can all bask in the the greatness that we hold in our hand.

ORLY?

Cause they are using 4 year old tech. If the come out with a keyboard I know a lot of people that are iphone owners dissing the droid because it has a keyboard.

Now if apple can more than double the pixels (droid does), and keep battery life the same, they might have some win. But they can't do that today, not even CLOSE to what I'm experiencing on the droid.

Again, full day streaming music, txt, browsing, syncing. I think I was at 40% by the time I got home, so about 10 hours of use. Gawd I love the battery life of the droid.

Iphone would have been dead after lunch in this scenario! But we try not to compare to that 4 year old device much in this day and age! :cool:

Upvote 0

I absolutely agree with your statement. I use an Apple as my primary desktop computer, and I am very happy with its performance. My reasons for disliking the iphone are mostly based on its performance on AT&T, as well as the fact that I simply could not type on it to save my life. I am a die hard proponent of the keyboard. However... Apple's next innovation may mow down The Google. We'll see.

Upvote 0
id just like to point out tha tin that video it looks like he has nothing extra installed aside from comes stock on the phone. so for all those that think they have a bad battery, you could try restoring to defualt and doing this test. thats the only real way you are gonna be able to compare to this test

Upvote 0
id just like to point out tha tin that video it looks like he has nothing extra installed aside from comes stock on the phone. so for all those that think they have a bad battery, you could try restoring to defualt and doing this test. thats the only real way you are gonna be able to compare to this test

Good call, though i am happy with its battery life now i am thinking about exchanging my phone for a new one only because when i plugged my phone into my car to listen to some music it was popping like crazy like my speakers were blown. I tested it out on few other headsets and speakers i have and the same thing occurred on all of them. So im not really looking foward to it but this way i can start fresh with a new battery. Does any one else have that problem where its popping if plugged into speakers?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones