• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life??

Just as a 411..I bought the phone on friday when it came out and after using it for a while i had to charge it. Since then i spent all weekend trying to tweak different things to make my battery life better. Now i love my electronics and have been downloadin and playin on the emulators and i talk and txt A LOT!!(college and good times) I was getting irritated since going from the LG Voyager i could talk and txt all day and not worry about charging my phone EVER!! Even overnight my battery life would go down 30% w/ the "Hibernate" app as i use my phone for my alarm, and ive been on the forum all weekend and did all the wifi off and this off and that off. Well last night w/ my phone on 100% charge i MANUALLY turned my brightness down to about 25%. Well i woke up w/ 90% CHARGE!!! but i figured w/ hibernate who knows maybe its just a fluke of a night, well at 2pm and using it all day(in class right now bored...was playing mario, i might fail from college due to this phone..lol) im down to about 60% charge and w/ the wifi on and txtin and facebook. So if anyone else wants to try the manual brightness and c if it works for them would b good to find out for all other people w/ battery problems on this wonderful phone!!

Oh and just so u all know..i haven't changed anything else on the phone..still same settings w/ evrything else, the syncing and wifi n stuff...

Upvote 0
I'm actually noticing in the last couple of days that my battery seems to be doing BETTER than it was at first. I didn't think that I changed anything, but maybe so. I use the power widget and leave on only the sync the majority of the time. The screen brightness is off, wifi, bluetooth, and gps are all off. I close all my apps when I'm done using the phone with Advanced Task Manager.

Now that it's fully charged a few times, it seems to last longer than it did at first. Maybe I'm just not using it as much.

Upvote 0
My brother has an iphone he told me after messing around with it browsing sites and on the phone for an average day he never goes below 90%.

LMAO!!!!!!! Every now and then, a post comes along and brings comedy that makes me laugh til I get teary eyed. Never goes below 90% after a day? haha!!! I bet you believed that too, huh? This takes away credibility to things that you say. :D

Upvote 0
LMAO!!!!!!! Every now and then, a post comes along and brings comedy that makes me laugh til I get teary eyed. Never goes below 90% after a day? haha!!! I bet you believed that too, huh? This takes away credibility to things that you say. :D

I'm betting that he also has excellent signal strength all over the country and never drops a call. :D :D

Upvote 0
My battery life was awful at the beginning. It would not last me a whole day with it just sitting in my pocket. Since i have let the battery go all the way down and charged it fully. I have did this two times and it is now 6 o'clock and i toke it off the charger bout 9 this morning, i have used it a good bit with wifi and other things and only down to 60%. So i guess the letting it go all the way down and charging it fully really helped.

Upvote 0
The main things to remember for battery life are pretty much the following:

1) Every battery needs to be conditioned to some extent

2) Every battery is going to drain differently

3) On occasion, one may receive a lousy battery, even if conditioned

4) Odds are that it's not the Droid itself if there is a power issue, so no need to return the whole device (unless you experience similar issues with multiple batteries after a hard reset)

5) Fully draining a LiOn battery is actually not good for it, though it may help in the short-term, as users here have discovered. Just don't do it regularly. (See Welcome to Battery University)

6) Future firmware updates (beyond the Dec 11 one coming) may have a beneficial effect on battery life in some way

I, myself, have a battery which went from 100% charged to 90% in 5 minutes today as well. (In fact, it's the reason I was searching on the forum today, to ensure it wasn't an issue.) No GPS, no WiFi, no major tasks running. I had only answered a google talk message and watched the battery drain test video on youtube. However, seeing as how the battery indicator is in increments of ten percent and that it's not an exact science, another possibility is that it's rounding down to 90 for some people the moment it dips one iota below 100%, to, say, 99 or 98. But I also know I've yet to have a chance to fully drain the battery yet, which I'll do for the first time tonight. The least I've ever run it down to is 15%. And extended batteries should be coming from Verizon, Seidio and other vendors before too long for those who need the extra boost even with normal battery life. :)

Also, here's a Motorola thread to check out for another possible battery issue: severe power drain while device is supposed to be turned off (vs just with the screen dimmed while idle).

https://supportforums.motorola.com/...8FA82529DEC8564D49755E.node0?start=0&tstart=0

People seem to have turned their Droid completely off overnight for 8 hrs when it was at 80% and woke up to it at 20% or near dead. Who knows, perhaps people who end up with this issue could have something that requires a full Droid exchange or could affect the battery in some unknown way while the unit is turned on.

--Observation--

After doing nothing but answering google talk on occasion the past 50 min or so, my battery widget is now reading 80%. That's supposedly 20% drop in just shy of two hours with barely any usage. A far cry from 10%/hour drop under heavy usage like was shown in the youtube video. I definitely need to condition my battery...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones