• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery life...

Got almost 9 hours of constant heavy use, downloading while browsing and transfering songs to the sd card at the same time. Screen at 35% bightness
2011-02-25_14-54-50_398.jpg

Upvote 0
Love the xoom except for the occasional crash but that should be resolved with an update. What's bugging me is that I'm so used to the ipad battery and Xooms just not at the same level. I'm definitely staying with the xoom but why can't anyone match apples battery capabilities? I could go 3 days with heavy browsing before charging my ipad compared to 1.5 days with the xoom before its dead. I really hope others will catch up soon.

Anyone else compare battery lidpfe to their ipad?

Upvote 0
Love the xoom except for the occasional crash but that should be resolved with an update. What's bugging me is that I'm so used to the ipad battery and Xooms just not at the same level. I'm definitely staying with the xoom but why can't anyone match apples battery capabilities? I could go 3 days with heavy browsing before charging my ipad compared to 1.5 days with the xoom before its dead. I really hope others will catch up soon.

Anyone else compare battery lidpfe to their ipad?

Ipad is nice but think about it not much on your home screen like widgets nothings really updating like the xoom or any other tablet for that matter...

Upvote 0
Mine has currently been running for about 20 hours with about 10 hours of standby and I'm currently at 54% battery left.

As long as the battery can last ~24 hours there should never be a problem. It just means that you have to remember to plug it in when you are sleeping. It's not like it matters if ita connected to a cord while you're asleep.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Aside from the aforementioned fact that iOS is generally able to chew less power in standby than Android is (due to lack of widgets and background tasks, and the fact that everything on iOS /has/ to offload into the cloud and use push notifications), keep in mind that the Xoom's CPU is going to be a bit more thirsty for power than the iPad's single-core custom ARM-variant A4 is.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
right, its going to be more fair to rate the xoom against the flypad2's battery life since they offer similar hardware schemes...

I suspect that a hypothetical dual-core iPad 2 and a Xoom without active widgets on the home screen (and running only services/apps that used C2DM to offload processing to cloud servers) would get battery life pretty darn close to each other.

Of course, soon as you start adding in widgets that are polling the network, or services that run in the background on the actual device, those things will whittle down the Xoom's battery. Locale's awesome (I live by that app on my Nexus S), but polling GPS and all those other conditions /is/ going to cost you at least some battery. It's a trade-off.

That said, admittedly, the average user isn't going to care about /why/ one device seemingly gets better battery life than the other, they're just going to notice that Device A can stay on longer than Device B. Many users consider all those features separately; the average non-techy sort looking at an iPad and a Xoom often does not see 'battery life' and 'widgets' as connected data points. :/

Upvote 0
Anyone seen the new comparison chart over at androidcentral.com? Breaks down the iPad 2 against the Xoom and a few of the other high end Android tabs. Check out the battery capacities...the other Android devices double the Xoom's battery. Wonder if that means the Xoom will get smoked when these products come out.

If the stated capacities will relate to actual usage times, that really gives me something to think about before getting a Xoom.

iPad 2 versus Honeycomb (and others)! | Android Central

Reactions: Old Member
Upvote 0
Anyone seen the new comparison chart over at androidcentral.com? Breaks down the iPad 2 against the Xoom and a few of the other high end Android tabs. Check out the battery capacities...the other Android devices double the Xoom's battery. Wonder if that means the Xoom will get smoked when these products come out.

If the stated capacities will relate to actual usage times, that really gives me something to think about before getting a Xoom.

iPad 2 versus Honeycomb (and others)! | Android Central

The chart is wrong. The Xoom has 2 x 3250mAh batteries. This came from the iFixit tear-down.

Reactions: ODog2323
Upvote 0
The real rating we care about here to measure overall battery performance (power) is watt hours. Power = current * voltage.

Here's what I've found in researching information on the Xoom. It has two individual 3.7 volt batteries (packaged together) running in a series, providing a combined 7.4 volts of power @ 3250 mAh = 24.1 WH

Other tablets on the chart have 3.7 volt batteries @ 6500 mAh = 24.1 WH.

The mAh rating is pretty meaningless for comparison purposes without having the voltage in context. So, no...our Xooms do NOT have half the battery power as competing Android tablets, they are the same.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones