1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support battery life

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by teh_dude, Jun 17, 2011.

1. teh_dude

teh_dude Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Full time student at UT Arlington, in middle of BS
    Arlington/Denton, TX
    I keep seeing people who are able to get days on end (highest I've seen is 3 to 4) of battery and still not be quite dead yet. How in the bloody hell is this happening?

I would like to enjoy battery life like this, but at the same time, I wonder if it's only possible by basically disabling many of the phone's capabilities that make it enjoyable. I'll list what I have set that I think would affect battery life that I can control, and take input accordingly.

General items:

-I strive (and usually succeed) at keeping Wifi/GPS/Bluetooth turned off when not being used.

-I charge the phone overnight when I go to sleep like I have all my phones.

-While plugged in, SetCPU kicks on a 100% AC Charging profile to run a performance governor--after all it's not draining the battery plugged into the wall. :)

-While unplugged, if the battery reaches <15%, a 76% SetCPU profile holds a range of 122 to 245 MHz, on demand.

-If for some reason the temperature reaches ~104F, a 50% profile ranging from 245 to 748 MHz runs on a conservative governor.

-I have two gmail accounts, twitter and facebook all syncing automatically, as well as my student university email setup on exchange to push.

-ColorNote runs in the background to keep two memos pinned to my notifications bar.

What I'm doing while in use (re: screen ON, phone NOT plugged in):

-Brightness is always 100% unless I'm in a dark room at night--11%.

-SetCPU defaults to On Demand governing. I am overclocked at 748 MHz, and the default profile ranges between 245 and 748.

-Haptic Feedback is off (as of today) as well as all of the feedback sounds.

-I'm running a live wallpaper.

What I'm doing during screen off, not plugged in, no downloads running/etc:

-SetCPU runs a 100% Screen Off profile holding at 122MHz.

-Observing by turning the screen on and off, it seems the live wallpaper indeed pauses when the screen is off.

Advertisement

2. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    Well just 2 things I see that maybe hurting you, I am sure there are others but these are glaringly obvious.
    Live wallpaper will constantly drain battery, and so will account sync.
    I leave account sync off until or unless I need it.

I have a good battery, and I dont use the phone much anymore that is why I can get 4 days on a charge. I posted a pic of 3 days 2 hours and today at 3 days 22 hours I was down to 17% and I turned it off and plugged it in.
    My phone with normal use can go 1day 20 hours to 2 days 4 hours, and under heavy use 1 day 3-4 hours. Or under very constant gaming 15hours.
    I dont plug it in until the battery is 10% or under most of the time, I like to shut it off to charge so there is no drain at the same time. I know lithium ion batterys are not like other rechargeables but I find they tend to last longer that way.
    Also I know so many people use and swear by setcpu but I found that running it shortened my battery life, the fact is it is another process that uses battery. Android seems to do a decent job of throttling cpu when not needed, at least my results have indicated that. I am running the 2.2.1 teamchickeneater rom with the overclocked kernel and without setcpu I would say im running 729mhz because I believe he lowered the default for that kernel.
    I keep wifi on constantly but only turn on bluetooth and gps when needed screen is on 100% all the time, that the screen is on that is. I have 1min set as screen turn off I use a photo for my wallpaper no live wallpaper here.

3. teh_dude

None

Jun 13, 2011
    Arlington/Denton, TX
    Update: Back on my university campus where I get good enough signal, I have finally today tried to run without live wallpaper and with background data turned off most of the time. Usage was light to moderate.

-Answered two failed calls from roommate that lasted only several seconds a piece (he told me later it's something wrong with his phone). But I believe these might've been while still plugged in this morning.

-texted occasionally

-manually synced accounts less than 5 times I believe

-used wifi a few times to look something up (university-wide wifi convinces me to use it instead of 1x usually lol)

-played TurboFly 3D for a few minutes (buy it if you don't have it, it's just too freakin' cool :D).

Everything else remains unchanged from OP that counts, unless the new Swype 3.0 beta uses anymore juice than the stock Swype, but I doubt it. After 13 hours, 33 min, 30 seconds of being unplugged and in my pocket idling at 122 MHz all day, I have 31% left on my battery. Still seems to be a far cry from what you're getting. Checking now, services running in the background are as follows:

-SetCPU: ProfilesService (yes I saw what you said, but I much prefer to be fully aware of what I'm overclocking at if I'm doing it at all)

-Norton Security: Norton Security

-Norton Security: CollectorService

-com.android.DunServer: LGDunService

-Email: SyncManager (this is for my student email account, and I get the idea it's not doing much if I have background data turned off)

-Google Services Framework: Google Messaging Service

-Maps: NetworkLocationService

-Mvpdm: MvpdmService

-Mvpdm: PluginAdpService

-Swype: Swype

Running Applications (whether obvious or not, I'm listing them all): ADWLauncher EX, Android System, Beautiful Widgets, Calendar Storage, Clock, com.android.DunServer, com.android.providers.applications, com.android.providers.userdictionary, Contacts Storage, Dialer, Dialer Storage, Download Manager, DRM Protected Content Storage, Email, Facebook, Gallery, Gmail, Google Search, Google Services Framework, Handcent SMS, Maps, Media Storage, Messaging, Messaging (the widget that I forgot to get rid of), MetroWEB, Mvpdm, My Uploads, Norton Security, Root Explorer, SetCPU, Settings, Settings Storage, Superuser, Swype, TurboFly 3D (forgot to quit the app earlier, doesn't seem to have made a difference in the 2 hours it's been on in the background), Twitter, YouTube.

Most of those things seem like items I should leave alone, or have no good reason to end. Any other suggestions?

4. new optimus

None

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    Norton security, I bet that is eating up juice like there is no tomorrow.
    I would get some specific advice about android anti virus, but to be honest I do not think it is needed. However if it is norton is not the one to go with, their pc security is so bloated it isnt even funny.

5. teh_dude

None

Jun 13, 2011
    Arlington/Denton, TX
    Well actually, checking battery usage, Norton only shows up at 2% or so (if I remember right--charging right now) near the bottom of the list. If you haven't caught wind, some viruses have come through the market (and have since been removed, but nonetheless). I've been using Norton AV for the past few years on three computers now (upgrades, not replacing bricks lol), and it has proven to catch every tiny little thing coming through it seems (I've run into a lot of things it's blocked, and I haven't had virus problems since I started using it). So I figured since I have trustworthy experience from their PC stuff, I'd use their free phone app.

However I'm open to seeing how I can stretch it, and I might try others. My best friend uses Lookout.

6. new optimus

None

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    I have not used a pc anti-virus since 2002 I have never had a virus, and only got 2 malware hits in that time, have I been lucky sure, but I also try to be careful of what is going on.
    If it helps you then that is fine but just know that everything running will take up juice. I believe it is the combination of what you can live with vs what you can't.
    Wifi will take up some juice but I think I heard it takes up less while being used then the cell data does, In other words for the amount downloaded you expend less juice using wifi, it is stand by that will hurt more with wifi.

teh_dude likes this.
  7. teh_dude

None

Jun 13, 2011
    Arlington/Denton, TX
    makes sense to me.

Tags: