• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rhystatic

Jun 17, 2011
My girlfriends Fascinate is starting to barely last 6-18 hours with minimal use. Can anyone point me into the right direction on some possible forum posts or anything that might help her extend her battery life?

Has anyone else had this problem?

My girlfriends Fascinate is starting to barely last 6-18 hours with minimal use. Can anyone point me into the right direction on some possible forum posts or anything that might help her extend her battery life?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Battery life is directly related to how many apps you have running in the background.

Turn OFF everything, bluetooth (actually not bad on battery use), WiFi off, GPS enabled off, Auto Sync off, brightness on minimum, Mobile Data off...

You do NOT need any of that stuff to use it as a phone. You don't need it for email either, you just have to wait for the email to download AFTER you open the email app. Big hoary deal, I will trade that off for 3 days of battery life.

If I need the GPS, I turn on Mobile Data and enable the GPS, use it and then turn it all off. Do it that way, I can easily go almost 24 hours. There is usually about 25% battery left when I go to bed.

And, I talk on my phone about 3 hours a day. But, there is a caveat on phone usage versus battery life. If you are adjacent to a cell tower, you can talk on the phone for 3 days and not use hardly any battery.

But, if you are 3 miles or 5 miles from a cell tower, then the cellphone transmitter is going to go full power for max RF power output. Do that, and 3 hours of talk time will almost deplete the battery.

There are so many variables, that you have to take what you hear on the forums with a pound of salt.

This is my 2 cents worth and 3 grains of salt. But it works for me, and it has been working well since Feb 15, 2011 when I bought this thing.

Now, all that being said, here is what kills my battery the worst:
1) Screen Brightness on max
2) WiFi on
3) Mobile Data ON, this by itself will kill the battery in about 6 or 7 hours.

4) Auto Sync ON, actually if Mobile Data is OFF, Sync can't work.
...... but, I never, ever, turn on Auto Sync. It is a battery waster, and it simply is not ever needed.

2, 3, and 4, will run the battery down in 8 hours all by themselves if you have a lot of apps running in the background that want to call home to momma. (email, messaging, Google apps are bad bad bad, Latitude especially)

Now, having said all of the above, if she is using it as a gaming device, well, the battery does not have a chance. My phone is for communications only. I deleted all of the games.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones