• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life

Here's how I am doing so far today. Average day... 2 phone calls, read some emails, a little FB and a little Tapatalk here at AF.com. Wi-Fi much of the time at the office, but was on LTE for about 2 hours at lunch.

2qdwi6v.jpg

Upvote 0
I think I have a dud.

19% Remaining and 1 hour 15 minutes of screen-on time. I would consider my using to be normal/low today.

What the heck? Also, I have two dead pixels in the middle of my screen and the screen is yellow. RMA'ing. Hopefully I just got a bad unit, because my battery life is terrible.

It does seem to be a bad unit. Sorry man. :(

Upvote 0
That seems to be a pretty significant improvement over your last report. Even though screen time is lower, you still have 60% battery left.

How many charge cycles have you completed? IIRC this is either your second or third cycle?

It was after the first charge over night. I used the phone right out of the box the first time.

Upvote 0
^^ I'm sorry to hear about the defective unit (pixels and battery life).

I charged mine fully the night of the 4th when I got it, set it all up and then couldn't get it activated so I put it on Wifi until I activated the phone on Metro last night (the 5th) around 7pm. I used the phone actively, texting, reading, websites, feedly, setting up light flow, taking a bunch of pics etc until about 1am last night. Here I am after my commute to work about 35 total hours since I last charged the device and it's running at 52% battery left. I'm really pleased even though it's unique usage because of the delayed activation.

One thing I did do from the beginning is go into Settings, Location and turn the mode onto "battery saving" which doesn't use GPS as much. (I think this is new for kitkat. Anyways, I have client meetings all over the city today so I'll report back with how GPS fairs on this setting.

Reactions: Mike Spector
Upvote 0
After playing music via bluetooth my entire morning commute (40min) and checking my feedly for about 10 minutes the battery was at 92% still. By comparison my GNex which I did absolutely nothing with this morning was down to 90% haha. Last night when I got my N5 I played with it for the screen on even doing a google hangout w/ camera for about 5-6 hours and got it down to 20%. That's pretty considering how hardcore that usage was (benchmarking, installing stuff, video) and I haven't even gone through a couple battery cycles yet.

I am definitely satisfied with my N5, also with T-Mobile.. for me their service is actually much better than Verizon's :D

EDIT: forgot to mention I switched the runtime to ART instead of Dalvik.. dunno if that is making a difference or not but I don't notice any stability issues yet.

Reactions: Mike Spector
Upvote 0
After playing music via bluetooth my entire morning commute (40min) and checking my feedly for about 10 minutes the battery was at 92% still. By comparison my GNex which I did absolutely nothing with this morning was down to 90% haha. Last night when I got my N5 I played with it for the screen on even doing a google hangout w/ camera for about 5-6 hours and got it down to 20%. That's pretty considering how hardcore that usage was (benchmarking, installing stuff, video) and I haven't even gone through a couple battery cycles yet.

I am definitely satisfied with my N5, also with T-Mobile.. for me their service is actually much better than Verizon's :D

EDIT: forgot to mention I switched the runtime to ART instead of Dalvik.. dunno if that is making a difference or not but I don't notice any stability issues yet.

Sounds great, numbers I like to hear! I'm coming off a gnex which I love, just isn't the best phone for being out and about, even with light usage.

When you swichted to tmob, did you order your n5 via google and switch to a plan (monthly? family? etc). was you able to bring your number over? Did you do it online or in a tmob store? I'm looking at doing the same in the next couple weeks. Tx!

Upvote 0
Sounds great, numbers I like to hear! I'm coming off a gnex which I love, just isn't the best phone for being out and about, even with light usage.

When you swichted to tmob, did you order your n5 via google and switch to a plan (monthly? family? etc). was you able to bring your number over? Did you do it online or in a tmob store? I'm looking at doing the same in the next couple weeks. Tx!
I am on a day to day plan with a temp number just so i could test the service out on my unlocked N5 but I do plan on going to a real plan soon and switching my number over since I am happy with the service. Not sure how to do it quite yet but I will be looking into it tonight.

Upvote 0
Today is my first day at work with the phone, and the battery is not holding up very well.

Currently at 24% 7h 12m 28s with just 1h 0m 2s of screen time. The cell reception in this building sucks, and it has been jumping from 3g to 1x to roaming all day, so that hurts. Still, my HTC One was often over 60-65% when I leave work.

I'm hoping the battery improves over the next several days. I've only had two charge cycles so far.

Upvote 0
Today is my first day at work with the phone, and the battery is not holding up very well.

Currently at 24% 7h 12m 28s with just 1h 0m 2s of screen time. The cell reception in this building sucks, and it has been jumping from 3g to 1x to roaming all day, so that hurts. Still, my HTC One was often over 60-65% when I leave work.

I'm hoping the battery improves over the next several days. I've only had two charge cycles so far.

Sounds like something that a radio firmware update can fix one google releases the next update. Our while you're at work, force it to use 1x only

Upvote 0
Mine has not been good normally with this kind of usage on my gs4 gpe I am at 70% or 75%. Only the first day so I will give it a couple of more days. I really love everything else.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383771261365.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383771261365.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 178
  • uploadfromtaptalk1383771281481.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383771281481.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 150
  • uploadfromtaptalk1383771299682.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383771299682.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 0
I am on a day to day plan with a temp number just so i could test the service out on my unlocked N5 but I do plan on going to a real plan soon and switching my number over since I am happy with the service. Not sure how to do it quite yet but I will be looking into it tonight.

Tx, would love to hear what your results are, and the plan if you don't mind.

Upvote 0
I'm at 35% now after 34 hours use (but 45 minute charge this morning cause i forgot to plug in the charger overnight)

Yesterday I was on cell data (loving HSPS & LTE switching from TMo btw), today wifi. The thing that seems to help most for battery and overall speed is to turn off developer mode when not using it...

Upvote 0
I'm at 35% now after 34 hours use (but 45 minute charge this morning cause i forgot to plug in the charger overnight)

Yesterday I was on cell data (loving HSPS & LTE switching from TMo btw), today wifi. The thing that seems to help most for battery and overall speed is to turn off developer mode when not using it...

Cool I will try that I am fully charged now.

Upvote 0
Only a day in so hard to judge, but so far it's noticeably worse than the battery on my previous S3 and S4. I've lost 10% in the last 25 minutes with it sitting on my desk, and have only sent one email!

Find it VERY annoying that there's no setting to display remaining battery percentage in the notification bar. It's two clicks away via the settings, also very annoying that turning wifi on and off is multiple clicks away, rather than within the notification bar on TouchWiz.

To turn off WiFi quick:
In the notification toggle for WiFi, just long press it and it shuts off. No need for two clicks. I can see the confusion as I have a GS4 with TouchWiz as well. I guess LG/Google likes to do things differently.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones