• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery losing charge and phone getting hot

hunta

Jan 20, 2010
This afternoon I noticed that my N1 had lost a massive amount of charge. It had been charging by USB to 91% when I removed it. Within an hour it was down to 50% and was HOT (not warm) to the touch. I've seen this before so I rebooted.

Since then I've had to recharge a couple of times, and it's still running hot. I've tried removing the battery and leaving it all to cool down. Checking the battery status doesn't reveal any particular process as hogging CPU or power (biggest seems to be system standby or display, so no real clues).

I'm seriously starting to think it might have given up, especially as it's just limped over the one year warranty!

Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks guys.

I would first download System panel lite:

https://market.android.com/details?id=nextapp.systempanel

and see if anything doesn't look right (program running for a long period of time etc...)

Then I would charge and completely discharge the battery a few times.
Hadn't occurred to me that it might be the battery as the change in behavior was so very rapid - a full charge was lasting a day easily till yesterday. Today it's a couple of hours. Is that characteristic?

If that doesn't do then I would just get a new one.
I hope you mean a new battery, not a new phone!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones