• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Loss & Signal Loss

prj

Android Enthusiast
May 26, 2010
I did a search already but really didn't find an answer or a fix.

Ever since the 2.1 OTA update that I received back in July, my phone has been burning through the battery quickly and places that I usually get a 3G signal I now get no signal and the big X in the signal bar.

Any suggestions or fixes yet?

I did a search already but really didn't find an answer or a fix.

Ever since the 2.1 OTA update that I received back in July, my phone has been burning through the battery quickly and places that I usually get a 3G signal I now get no signal and the big X in the signal bar.

Any suggestions or fixes yet?

If your Eris was performing well in those two areas prior to the 2.1 OTA, and you have not yet performed a factory data reset (which many have done as a last step in the OTA installation process), then I'd advise doing that.

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/80233-factory-data-reset-option.html

Also, we often see posts reporting improvement in those and many other areas by rooting the device. Post back if you've considered that option, and we'll steer you in the right direction. ;)

Upvote 0
I've done the factory data reset 3 times along with *228 option 1 & 2 with no change to battery life or signal.

When the icon in the notification bar is showing no 3G signal, have you tried using the phone? There have been reports, a lot of reports, of the phone working fine but the display meters not being accurate.

But, assuming the 2.1 OTA degraded your signal and battery life, I'd try rooting, which remedies many issues for most devices.

If that seems unsavory to you, and you want to retain the warranty on your Eris, then it may be time to take it in for an exchange.

Upvote 0
Yes. The phone does not work. It will start out as 3G then drop to 1X then big fat X and no signal at all.

Rooting is not my thing. Can I somehow put 1.5 back on?
The only way is through root. I personally wouldn't recommend putting 1.5 back on, since this could be a bigger issue than just 2.1. But you could give it a go I guess.

Upvote 0
Stopped in at the local verizon store today. I live an in area where Verizon took over Alltel. Turns out when my 2.1 OTA was installed it kicked the SID number back to an Alltel number which they said makes it search for Alltel towers. Did a ##778 to get into the phone menu and changed the SID number to what its supposed to be for my area.

Now I will wait and see what happens.

Upvote 0
OK. Signal problem solved but I still have a battery issue. Unplugged this morning from full charge at 7:30 am. By 11:30 am with very little use at all my battery is down 27%. A few texts, couple e-mails and a little internet browsing.

In my battery info for what is using the battery:

Android System 43%
Cell Standby 39%
Display 13%
Phone Idle 5%

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones