• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery mAh determination

I just bought a 3500mAh battery for my incredible 2. Wondering if it indeed had that capacity, I loaded the battery monitor app that supposedly calculates it, among a lot other features.

However I have done 2 of the deep discharge/recharge cycles as recommended and it indicates my capacity is only 2066mAh +-15%.

It definitely lasts longer, and the bigger case is fine, makes it easier to hold without dropping, still fits in my pocket.

Any ideas?

Bo

This is really interesting to me. I have wondered for a long time if there was an easy and inexpensive or free way to determine actual battery capacity as opposed to just trusting what the manufacturer says. I think we are all aware (or should be) that not all batteries are what they say they are.
I hope you will get back to us when you get your results. Let us know your thoughts on the whole thing...

Reactions: blackepoxy
Upvote 0
I just bought a 3500mAh battery for my incredible 2. Wondering if it indeed had that capacity, I loaded the battery monitor app that supposedly calculates it, among a lot other features.

However I have done 2 of the deep discharge/recharge cycles as recommended and it indicates my capacity is only 2066mAh +-15%.

It definitely lasts longer, and the bigger case is fine, makes it easier to hold without dropping, still fits in my pocket.

Any ideas?

Bo

Can you put a link to the specific battery monitor app you are using?

Upvote 0
Update - the 3500mAh capacity is now up to 2140mAh as the Battery Monitor Wigit continues to do calibrations during deep discharge cycles 100% >>>zero or thereabouts.

Its really a complicated, interesting, & useful program. I purchased the Pro version to show my appreciation for it.

Now to get my battery up to 3500mAh as it is advertised. :)

The app name is Battery Monitor Widget

I feel confident it is a fairly accurate program, since all it needs is a log of the current drain versus time over a period of time. The droid provides the current drain value. Mathwise, you just calculate "the area under the curve" and you will have the mAh. Some averaging will be necessary to come up with a number valid equivalent to ONE HOUR of discharge.

bo

Upvote 0
You do realize that deep discharge cycles are bad for the battery, right?

Why?
I thought to break in the battery you should let it go through like 6 complete charge/discharge cycles to start getting/seeing the best life.
I usually let mine completely discharge then charge fully once a month.
Is say charging up to full at 50% (topping off) bad too?
Not that I do that, because I think it's not good...

Upvote 0
It's all about heat.

When you discharge a battery fully, it warms up - for Li-Ion, that can mean that the metal structures within will deform, and that will definitely degrade the battery.

So - it's something that you don't want to overdo.

Modern batteries simply don't need conditioning, and they don't trickle charge, so you can top them off and leave them on the charger without concern.

Those concerns are from an earlier generation of battery technology.

Upvote 0
Lithium-ion is a low maintenance battery, an advantage that most other chemistries cannot claim. There is no memory and no scheduled cycling is required to prolong the battery's life. In addition, the self-discharge is less than half compared to nickel-cadmium, making lithium-ion well suited for modern fuel gauge applications. lithium-ion cells cause little harm when disposed.

Advantages & Limitations of the Lithium-ion Battery - Battery University

Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid frequent full discharges and charge more often between uses. If full discharges cannot be avoided, try utilizing a larger battery. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Reactions: TheAtheistReverend
Upvote 0
Why?
I thought to break in the battery you should let it go through like 6 complete charge/discharge cycles to start getting/seeing the best life.
I usually let mine completely discharge then charge fully once a month.
Is say charging up to full at 50% (topping off) bad too?
Not that I do that, because I think it's not good...
the article & testing at batteryuniversity.com does an excellent job of describing the charge/discharge process.
must reading! :)
Bo

Upvote 0
The most import thing I always do with any new Li-Ion battery irrespective if its for your mobile, camera or whatever is to always give it a first regimantally important 15 hour charge and then completely use it up till its all empty. This is what creates the memory of the battery. If you do not do that you are starting with a disadvantage over that battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones