• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help battery not charging??

msierra519

Android Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2010
this is my second Photon, the first one was defective, i havent had a problem with it since Friday, but today for some reason, the battery isnt charging...its been on the charger for about 3 hours and it went from 30% to 20% :thinking:

i have the battery saving option on and Juice Defender Ultimate running...does anyone know what i could be doing wrong? or could it be defective?

this is my second Photon, the first one was defective, i havent had a problem with it since Friday, but today for some reason, the battery isnt charging...its been on the charger for about 3 hours and it went from 30% to 20% :thinking:

i have the battery saving option on and Juice Defender Ultimate running...does anyone know what i could be doing wrong? or could it be defective?

I would remove JUICE DEFENDER & watch your battery life improve.

Upvote 0
really? its actually been much better ever since i installed it.

For troubleshooting purposes, I'd uninstall JUICE DEFENDER until you figure out what's going on.
Its conflicting w/the battery saving mode that is pre-installed on the phone.Lots written & debated on the subject PROS & CONS of battery saving apps. I'm in the camp of not using them.
If you think it helps w/battery life,you might wanna solicit some advice on a good set-up for JUICE DEFENDER in some of the forums here @ PHANDROID that have had lengthy discussions on the matter,or,check out XDA DEVELOPERS for guidance on the subject.

Upvote 0
i think i figured out what happened..i was using the charger i had from my Evo Shift instead of the Motorola charger that came with the phone. i read in someone else's thread that, that could be an issue. sucks cuz that cable was real long but oh well it does charger now no issue. also i will try out the removing juice defender for a few days..

@KOLIO...is there a setting for Data Saver that can be changed for the Market so that it doesnt only download when connected to WIFI?

Upvote 0
i think i figured out what happened..i was using the charger i had from my Evo Shift instead of the Motorola charger that came with the phone. i read in someone else's thread that, that could be an issue. sucks cuz that cable was real long but oh well it does charger now no issue. also i will try out the removing juice defender for a few days..

@KOLIO...is there a setting for Data Saver that can be changed for the Market so that it doesnt only download when connected to WIFI?

Glad you found the cause of the charging issues.

From what I can best tell,the DATA SAVER option seems to be an all or nothing choice.The WI-FI auto-update only option is also available in the ANDROID MARKET app settings,which is the exact opposite of what you've looking for.

The idea of customizing the DATA SAVER option would be a nice feature to see in a future MOTOROLA update.Might be worthwhile to shoot an email to MOTOROLA on the subject.

I know one feature I'm sending an email to MOTOROLA about is enabling AUTO ROTATE while having the kickstand extended,to enable viewing in PORTRAIT as well as LANDSCAPE.

Upvote 0
Just a few moments ago,I turned off my phone & plugged it in to charge.

I was surprised to see the large battery icon appear w/a question mark in the place where the percentage of battery would normally be.
So,I rebooted & saw the same thing in the smaller battery icon that appears in the upper right hand corner,a question mark instead of green,amber,red,etc....
Also,a pop-up appeared stating something to this effect:

You have an invalid battery installed & the phone will not accept a charge.Please install a factory MOTOROLA BATTERY.

Anyone ever see anything like this?

Upvote 0
My photon is now doing the same thing. It worked fine the other day and today I went to plug it in and it wont charge. It wont do anything so i did a FDR in hopes that it would help... Nothing! The only way it will charge now is if its in my laptop. Tried other chargers and no luck.

Try pulling the battery & re-booting, repeating a couple times, if necessary.

This is how I got my battery to charge w/the provided charger.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones