• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery on Zero from new, OK or poss damaged, OEM charger not charge.

bignose2

Mar 7, 2011
Hi,

Just got my new SGS7 Edge direct from EE.

Wondered if this is normal &/or perhaps battery might be effected, later in life?

It would not turn on, surprised but guessed perhaps battery low,
Plugged in OEM charger & USB cable, Big battery indicator came up with the lightening icon but no hint of charging, left for 30 minutes, still nothing.

In the end tried my old SGS4 charger. This after a a minute or two started showing percentage going up.
Tried the OEM with my old SGS4, this worked OK??
at about 30% put the OEM charger & USB back onto the SGS7e
It now worked OK, now showing what I assume is fast charge, blue led climbing up as opposed to static led.

Only had for day & seems to be holding charge fine.

1) Is it normal'ish to have a phone from new completely flat.

2) Is it likely to have damaged the battery? I know most advise not good to let go completely flat and this seems to be the case here. I know the indicator does not necessarliy mean the voltage is dangerously low but the fact that the OEM "smart" charger did not seem to know what to do with the battery and it was on Zero charge for some time before climbing quite quickly after.

Not sure much I can do, they are not going to replace & I would not ask but suspect damage might be a year down the line & would never know what caused it (if at all). Would not mind but now fixed battery!!! & 2 year contract.

Any advise.
Thanks I/A

Hi,
I took your advise and fortunately my provider (UK) replaced without any problems.

In the mean time I had emailed Samsung for advise, they have just replied as below...
"I can state that all Samsung devices are vigorously checked and passed through the optimum criteria needed to assure the device meets the customers standards. It is not normal or rare to see the device completely flat, this may occur in Samsung devices. Please note that this is not a concern and this does not indicate any damage to the battery."
I think they meant to say "it is not unusual" rather than not normal as they say it is fine.

I can understand they will be inclined to say OK but surprised really.
From nearly everything read online a flat battery is not good, perhaps not always that detrimental but from a new phone that has to last 2 years.
Especially as I had pointed out that the oem supplied charger would not actually charge the phone at all (OK , perhaps a faulty charger but I have still be using it & it is fine (They only wanted the phone, I kept the rest & the new set)
So the samsung smart charger did not recognise the phone enough to charge, to me implies that is was so flat it did not know what to do with it. If I did not have my own charger I would have had to send the whole lot back anyway.

JUst thought I would update on Samsungs attitude.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I took your advise and fortunately my provider (UK) replaced without any problems.

In the mean time I had emailed Samsung for advise, they have just replied as below...
"I can state that all Samsung devices are vigorously checked and passed through the optimum criteria needed to assure the device meets the customers standards. It is not normal or rare to see the device completely flat, this may occur in Samsung devices. Please note that this is not a concern and this does not indicate any damage to the battery."
I think they meant to say "it is not unusual" rather than not normal as they say it is fine.

I can understand they will be inclined to say OK but surprised really.
From nearly everything read online a flat battery is not good, perhaps not always that detrimental but from a new phone that has to last 2 years.
Especially as I had pointed out that the oem supplied charger would not actually charge the phone at all (OK , perhaps a faulty charger but I have still be using it & it is fine (They only wanted the phone, I kept the rest & the new set)
So the samsung smart charger did not recognise the phone enough to charge, to me implies that is was so flat it did not know what to do with it. If I did not have my own charger I would have had to send the whole lot back anyway.

JUst thought I would update on Samsungs attitude.
Sounds a pre generated reply anyway. It is true though. A flat battery or one below 40% does not necessarily mean the battery is damaged. However there is just a higher likelihood that it is.

Upvote 0
Regarding your OEM charger, if you are in USA/Canada, you need to buy a charger that is UL listed as shown in the photo. UL listed chargers are certified to work properly according to the national standards. In the EU, that should be the "CE" marking that you should be looking for. Using chargers that are not certified may/may not damage your device.

Um4G4Xt.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones