1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Battery, or not the battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BarkingGhost, Jul 30, 2011.

1. BarkingGhost

BarkingGhost Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Telecommunications
    Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth, Sol
    I have an original MyT3g phone that I got ona new contract at the end of November 2009. This is with TMo on a two-line family plan and the other phone is GSM only.

Two days ago, I got up to a dead phone. Turned out the battery discharged overnight. First time that has happened to me. I plugged it in and charged it fully, but ~12 hours after a full charge it completely discharged again--and I never used it for anything in that time.

I charged it again and after about 5 hours noticed the charged had dropped to 59%. I went in to see what was consuming the battery the most and it reported Cell Standby, which I believe is the transceiver performing basic keep-alive with the TMo network.

By the 12th hour the phone was completely discharged again. Ok, is this a bad battery, or is the transmitter having an antenna issue and thinking the nearest cell tower is now farther away (and thus using a higher transmission power level, which in turn discharges the battery faster?

At the end of this contract, I am terminating this phone and 3G service (i.e. UMTS data plan) and replacing this phone with a straight GSM service. In the past year I have not really used any of the data services, and on those rare occasions its been rather poor in my area (suburb of Atlanta).

I'm guessing I can live with a 12-hour phone for 4 months, but wondered if anyone else experienced eerily similar conditions and found a resolution. I am running the latest ANDROID OS.

Advertisement

2. BarkingGhost

BarkingGhost Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Telecommunications
    Ok, so I have conducted some additional observations, including charging and not using the cell phone. It takes 2.5-3 hours to fully charge and approximately 12 hours to discharge. In each cycle 98% of battery use is Cell Standby and 2% is Cell Idle. I then charged the phone and when fully charged, I removed the battery. I figured if it was the battery then it might still leak its charge [fractionally] while out of the phone. After 7 hours I put it back into the phone and turned the phone on. Battery was 100% charged. I'm concluding it is NOT the battery. There have been no ANDROID updates, no application updates, etc. and I have not been using the phone for anything. But something is causing the Cell Standby function to consume the battery at a high rate (almost as if I was constantly using it for calling. My next test will be to recharge the unit and then turn the phone off, but leave the battery in it. I want to see if the battery discharges while in the phone and it powered off. If this doesn't show any signs of a discharge, I'll try to perform the equivalent of a factory reset. Does anyone know if a factory reset can be done, and if so what version I should expect to see of ANDROID afterwards? I think it originally came with 1.5 or older (currently on Froyo).

3. BarkingGhost

BarkingGhost Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Telecommunications
    Hmm, there is no equivalent of a factory reset for this phone. My final experiment was to charge the phone, turn off all data services, syncing services, and force 2G only and the problem continues. I replied to a thread on TMo's support forum regarding their seemingly battery-issue MT3G and then I got a response they have been having the exact problem for about the same period of time.

No coincidence. Unfortunately, TMo has decided to taken on the personification of AT&T and tell people they are SOL as it is a defective phone and they will not be supporting it. Well, TMo is now defective in my book.

I'll replace this phone with a non-smartphone and terminate service in 4 months. What a pity this is the state of wireless in the USA. The We Don't Care business generation.