1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

battery & OTA

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by KimB, Dec 29, 2012.

1. KimB

KimB Newbie

I currently have a Droid X2 and it's almost upgrade time. I'm looking at the Droid Razr Maxx HD or the Samsung sIII. Two things I'm concerned about...a comparison I read says the Maxx HD battery is not removable and that it does not receive OTA updates. Does anyone know if this info is correct?? Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Ag76

Ag76 Member

The Razr Maxx HD does not have a removable battery, but I received the Jelly Bean update OTA.

3. PowrDroid

PowrDroid Well-Known Member

I came from a Droid 2 Global to the Razr Maxx HD. It is true that the Razr Maxx HD battery is not removable. Why do people want removable batteries? In case they are out somewhere and their battery gets low and they have no place to charge it. Never fear. The Maxx HD's battery is the largest one available on a mobile phone. With average to moderate usage I can easily get into day three before I need a charge. It's such a huge change from my D2G. Instead of looking at my battery meter in fear, wondering if I need to charge it, I now look at my battery meter in awe, wondering what day I will need to charge it.

As to OTA updates, my Maxx HD was ICS when I bought it and I received the Jelly Bean OTA, so yes, it does receive OTA's.

4. KimB

KimB Newbie

Thank you both for the info. Regarding the removable battery, I have had to do a battery pull on my X2 many times in the past 2 years for a variety of reasons, none of which had anything to do with charging the battery. As much as I like the Maxx HD, I think the battery issue will keep me away from it. Thanks again!

5. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Android Expert

The equivalent of a battery pull is available by holding the power button and volume down for 10 seconds. Have not had to do it yet. This phone is awesome - no freezes or lockups for me. I came from an X and was concerned about not having a removable battery - I always carried a spare around. No need now. I get at least two days of use before a charge is necessary. Sure you can go with Sammy, but in my brief experience trying one, the build quality is not there and the radio is not as good as the worst moto product.

6. tatootie67

tatootie67 Member

You'll never have to battery pull on this phone. When or if it crashes you can do a soft reset with the hardware keys.

7. Ag76

Ag76 Member

I was concerned what would happen if my battery went bad before my contract period was up and I could replace the phone with an upgrade. So I bought the protection plan with includes a manufacturer extended warranty. As was explained to me by the Verizon salesman, it extends the Motorola warranty for the second year, so I assume if the battery goes bad the phone should be replaced with no deductible. The other part of the plan is the protection plan with Assurion. I usually don't spend the extra money for extended warranties, etc., but I felt like it was a good idea with this phone.

But I concur with other posters, my battery will last two full days, and sometimes three. But I charge it every other day whether it needs it or not.:)

8. Xelios

Xelios Android Enthusiast

As mentioned already, there's a software battery pull technique, volume down and power for about 10 seconds. Works every time, even if the phone is frozen. I have needed to use it only once so far, but it does indeed work.

And as far as it not getting OTA's, thats a little ridiculous. It sure does.

Despite it being non-removable, it can be replaced. I'm sure it's not THAT difficult, other phones have been like this before. Just ruins your warranty if you open it. But you shouldn't have to anyway.

9. dhbuckley

dhbuckley Well-Known Member

I have a couple of friends who have S3 and wish they had rmhd.

It lasts 2 - 3 days on a charge. There is no phone on the market that comes close. The build quality is superb and the S3 feels toy like in comparison.

I have the rmhd in an Otterbox and it is rock solid and reliable and by far the best phone I've ever had. Never drops calls, hardly ever freezes, is the closest to pure Android you can get without going Nexus.

Motorola Droid RAZR HD / MAXX HD Forum

The Motorola Droid RAZR HD / MAXX HD release date was November 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 3300mAh battery.

November 2012
Release Date
Reviews