• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Overcharging?

jdragione

Lurker
Apr 30, 2012
Although the battery life is good with my S7 it still gets down into the 10s-20s by dinner time with heavy use. So I am wondering if it is possible to over charge the battery? Back in the day of flip phones Verizon used to say if you charge the phone too much it kills the battery - is that still the case? I have a QI pad in my office, a QI pad in my car, if I just charge the phone off and on throughout the day and on the way to/from work is it going to end up having a negative affect on my overall battery life? Should I still let it get pretty low then charge back to 100% to keep it at the maximum capacity?

Thanks!

You shouldn't have to worry about overcharging - charging circuits are pretty sophisticated these days (they need to be - lithium batteries are dangerous if misused).

Running it low before recharging will not keep it at maximum capacity (that's NiCd batteries). It will actually do the opposite. It's better for a lithium battery's longevity if you charge it well before it gets to that point.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones