1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Battery Overcharging?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jdragione, Mar 9, 2016.

1. jdragione

jdragione Lurker

Although the battery life is good with my S7 it still gets down into the 10s-20s by dinner time with heavy use. So I am wondering if it is possible to over charge the battery? Back in the day of flip phones Verizon used to say if you charge the phone too much it kills the battery - is that still the case? I have a QI pad in my office, a QI pad in my car, if I just charge the phone off and on throughout the day and on the way to/from work is it going to end up having a negative affect on my overall battery life? Should I still let it get pretty low then charge back to 100% to keep it at the maximum capacity?

Thanks!

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

You shouldn't have to worry about overcharging - charging circuits are pretty sophisticated these days (they need to be - lithium batteries are dangerous if misused).

Running it low before recharging will not keep it at maximum capacity (that's NiCd batteries). It will actually do the opposite. It's better for a lithium battery's longevity if you charge it well before it gets to that point.

Snakeyeskm and psionandy like this.
  3. KupKrazy

KupKrazy Android Enthusiast

Also, doesn't the phone stop charging when the battery has reached full charge? The charge indicator in the battery turns off soon after the charge is at 100% which I believe indicates that the charging has stopped.

4. Luddite Finn

Luddite Finn Lurker

It would be great to have that confirmed KupKrazy (Go Wings!).

Samsung Galaxy S7 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S7 release date was March 2016. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Exynos 8890 Octa processor, and 3000mAh battery.

March 2016
Release Date
Reviews