1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Battery Overcharging?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jdragione, Mar 9, 2016.

1. jdragione

jdragione Lurker
    None

Apr 30, 2012
    Although the battery life is good with my S7 it still gets down into the 10s-20s by dinner time with heavy use. So I am wondering if it is possible to over charge the battery? Back in the day of flip phones Verizon used to say if you charge the phone too much it kills the battery - is that still the case? I have a QI pad in my office, a QI pad in my car, if I just charge the phone off and on throughout the day and on the way to/from work is it going to end up having a negative affect on my overall battery life? Should I still let it get pretty low then charge back to 100% to keep it at the maximum capacity?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    You shouldn't have to worry about overcharging - charging circuits are pretty sophisticated these days (they need to be - lithium batteries are dangerous if misused).

Running it low before recharging will not keep it at maximum capacity (that's NiCd batteries). It will actually do the opposite. It's better for a lithium battery's longevity if you charge it well before it gets to that point.

Snakeyeskm and psionandy like this.
  3. KupKrazy

KupKrazy Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    Male
    The Big Apple
    Also, doesn't the phone stop charging when the battery has reached full charge? The charge indicator in the battery turns off soon after the charge is at 100% which I believe indicates that the charging has stopped.

4. Luddite Finn

Luddite Finn Lurker
    None

Mar 2, 2016
    Male
    It would be great to have that confirmed KupKrazy (Go Wings!).

5. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US

There is always a trickle charge from a charging pad, that's why a phone left on the pad remains at 100%. Remove it, even with the screen off, it will still discharge slowly. Fortunately, the trickle charge will not heat up the phone and cause any damage, unless the phone is defective. Unfortunately most cases, even slim ones, increase the load and effectiveness of the wireless charge and more importantly contain the heat within the case. If you try to use a wireless charger on a phone with a case that is more than 50% discharged, you will have a heating problem that at the very least could shorten the life of your battery.

This is going to sound crazy and overboard, but here goes. I have a Spigen neo hybrid case on my Galaxy S6 edge (now my wife's) and the same brand on my Galaxy S7 edge. On both I have used a standard paper hold punch to punch out small holes in the central area of the rubber/plastic back side. Protection is unchanged, but hopefully they will allow some heated airflow out of the case while charging. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Consider this a patent application.

#5 Snakeyeskm, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.