• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Overheating

Wordslinger

Apr 24, 2010
I used the camcorder on my Incredible today while outside to shoot some footage and test out the quality. I had the camcorder running for about five consecutive minutes and noticed the back of the phone was hot (it's in the Verizon shell/holster combo). I have BatteryLife running and it said the battery was overheating at 118 degrees. I turned the camcorder off, but it stayed that way for at least half an hour afterwards, even though I had gone inside. It was around 85 degrees outside, which may have been a factor.

The Incredible is my first smartphone, so I'm slowly learning what it's all about. I'm not sure what is considered an acceptable temperature. Even though it was hot out, it struck me as odd that the battery would heat up like that.

If its anything like the Eris, when the phone itself overheats, the LED at the top will flash alternating colors (I believe red/yellow, although it may be red/green). I'd be more concerned about that than the battery feeling hot (unless it burns you ;)), but I don't know the "safe" temps for the battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones