• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Percentage Indicator on StatusBar

I'd imagine that, just like Windows Mobile phones before, once a person roots the phone, there's probably a way to edit the registry so that it moves that over to the right corner (although, I really don't know because I haven't rooted yet), instead of having to flash an entire ROM. Nontheless, I wouldn't be surprised if that info is already somewhere on XDA.

Android show various things in the notification bar. Stuff on the left are apps you have currently running, and will (normally) show up in the notification panel under "ongoing". You can't move them to the right side. The icons on the right are set, system icons. You can hack certain things with root, though, to modify how the system ones act. For example, you can modify the battery icon set to display the battery percentage. Doing so requires root, as it is modifying framework files. It has nothing to do with market apps. It's actually modifying the system.

I'm confused, isn't that what I said in the first part of my paragraph by saying "...once a person roots..."?

And "editing the registry" is a Windows mobile term that would be the same as "modifying the system" as you say. Sorry, I haven't rooted since moving over to Android when I got my EVO at launch, but I believe what you are saying is exactly the point that I was making.

Upvote 0
I'm confused, isn't that what I said in the first part of my paragraph by saying "...once a person roots..."?

And "editing the registry" is a Windows mobile term that would be the same as "modifying the system" as you say. Sorry, I haven't rooted since moving over to Android when I got my EVO at launch, but I believe what you are saying is exactly the point that I was making.

Lol, yes, we're basically talking about the same thing. I was just making a distinction between the icons on the left and those on the right. You are correct. Once you root, you can have the battery percentage on the right, in place of the normal battery icons.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Lol, yes, we're basically talking about the same thing. I was just making a distinction between the icons on the left and those on the right. You are correct. Once you root, you can have the battery percentage on the right, in place of the normal battery icons.

Okay good. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't completely confused, since I've only been an Android user for 8 months.

I guess there are really 2 things I miss from Windows Mobile 1) better video calling and 2) administrator access to phone data w/o having to "root"

Upvote 0
I didn't see a thread in here discussing this, but I'm using a battery percentage indicator that shows the percentage in the status bar. I just want to get an idea of what everybody else is using.

The one I downloaded from the appmarket is cool for being free, but if anybody has recommendations, I'd love to hear them. I really want the one that HTC makes, but it's only available for the N1 and Desire right now.

Post up the different ones being used.

go over to forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=921151&page=3 and look at post 24 with the zip file attached.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
On alot of these apps and widgets I notice it is tough to find one that has a percentage reading for example: 79% without it being inside another battery icon. I do not want 2 different battery icons on my status bar! I understand replacing the OEM battery icon or removing it is usually not possible ( Motorola Atrix). I would like to keep the regular battery icon but with the ability to put on NUMBER percentage battery reading without another battery icon on the status bar! If this has been discussed in another forum here please sticky it to me please! Or just let me know what the app is! Thank you. Sadly Iphone 4 got this right and they only display the number percentage (99%) without the battery icon.

Upvote 0
On alot of these apps and widgets I notice it is tough to find one that has a percentage reading for example: 79% without it being inside another battery icon. I do not want 2 different battery icons on my status bar! I understand replacing the OEM battery icon or removing it is usually not possible ( Motorola Atrix). I would like to keep the regular battery icon but with the ability to put on NUMBER percentage battery reading without another battery icon on the status bar! If this has been discussed in another forum here please sticky it to me please! Or just let me know what the app is! Thank you. Sadly Iphone 4 got this right and they only display the number percentage (99%) without the battery icon.

Chill out. I use Battery Indicator Pro and your eyes won't even shift to the battery status on the right side of the status bar. My eyes automatically shift to my battery indicator on the left of the status bar with the percentage. Android was created because everyone likes something different on their phone. With Android you can change almost anything and you won't find any phone utilizing Android with the same screen setup unlike iPhones.

Upvote 0
Both he and I are looking for something like these two from http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/91853-lets-us-peek-your-screens-102.html

KingOfDiamonds' -

KingOfDiamonds.jpg

VGArtwork's -

VGArtwork.jpg

Upvote 0
i am using the MikRom:
[ROM] - [MikRoms] - [12/17/2011] - MikG v3.0 - Re-Engineered GB Sense 2.1 + 3.0 - xda-developers

it has the battery life LINE.. at the very top.. very thin line across the top edge.. above the notification bar. the length of the line and color tells you quickly what you have in batter life. I love it!!! if it is half way across the top.. then you have 50% battery.

at first, i did not know what that was.. and thought it was just a bug.. bad position of the screen... and it changed size and color throughout the day? what is that thing... LOL

Upvote 0

I used ninjamorph to change out my system icons. Changing a battery icon takes a little work from the way I did it. But it can be done infact each and everything can be changed on these phones.

Upvote 0
I used ninjamorph to change out my system icons. Changing a battery icon takes a little work from the way I did it. But it can be done infact each and everything can be changed on these phones.

You are correct, any .PNG found in the Rom can be swapped out. As long as it is the same size and name you're good to go. :)

Upvote 0
I am using an app called BatteryBot. It really is a good app. It has a customizable little icon in the right corner of the status bar. It also tells me how much longer I have to use my phone until it goes dead. Oh and a lot of people were wondering about if these apps use battery themselves. I mean they are apps... That's what apps do. But... I turned on the battery saver that was built into my phone under an app called smartactions and it works great without draining the battery. I even looked at my battery thing on my phone and it said tht it didnt even drain 1% of my battery. You guys should really try it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones