1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Battery practices

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hawker, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    Male
    UK
    When I'm at work, I usually connect by GS2 to my PC via USB, and keep it plugged in all day even after its fully charged.

Will this be detrimental to my battery in any way?

Also, do you let your battery drain down completely every so often.

Advertisement

2. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Android Expert

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    I will let mine drain down completely occasionally but I won't do this too often as it's apparently better to keep them topped up.

I would assume that keeping it plugged in all day will affect the life of your battery as every battery has a maximum number of charges before It starts to die.

3. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Android Enthusiast
    None

May 11, 2011
    Owner
    Jacksonville, FL
    I would NEVER allow it to drain to dead. That WILL shorten the life of the battery.

It will not over charge but a little exercise would not hurt it. I have laptops that I do the same and then take them out on the road and they work on battery just fine.

4. loony

loony Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    australia
    as much as there is a warning to plug into a charger, there is one to disconnect it once full.
    i try not to do either.

i believe someone (might have been chobosandwich) explained it in an old thread. about "vampiric drain" where each charge is a cycle, the life of a battery will do so many cycles....leaving it connected means it charges for a little. stops, run down a little, then charges a little, repeat...hence, using up those cycles....just REALLY slowly.
    wont damage it, just wont last as long as some others in the "technical" long run, which to me wont be a large difference.