• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery problems, quirks and issues: Read first.

At almost 14 hours now and at 80% battery. Almost no usage, though I will use it a bit later at work, we'll see how it fares at 24 hours. Personally, I am very happy right now, this is the kinda battery life I was hoping for.

*edit* Also I have been using the USB to "top off" the battery, battery level has usually been at 80-90% when I initiated charging. I imagine to fully charge from discharge using USB it could potentially take most of the day. Begining with the phone off, would speed up charging a bit as there would be no background drain. Just a thought of course.

Upvote 0
Personally, I would recommend against using the default weather widget just because its ugly.

If you must have a weather widget, use Beautiful Widgets which will give you a flip clock with weather ala HTC Hero, or get the Weather widget - Donate off market. Which will give you the option of sevetal different widgets including the flip clock. You have far more control over how often these widgets will pull GPS and data

I will however be trying out your Maps suggestion and see if that makes any difference.

I purchased this on your suggestion and I LOVE it! It has all the information I need in a beautiful display. Thank you! :)

Upvote 0
Do we need to go back to the battery charging graph again?

Constant voltage is used for the last couple of hours to charge the battery and there is very little current draw from that point, especially in the last hour or so of charging. I'm seeing the same battery life you guys charging on USB are and have never charged via USB.

It doesn't matter what your source, 4.5v charger, a messed up USB port putting out 5.5v, it all gets regulated down to 4.2 for charging. Only the first part of the charge will be affected by a different current rating on the charger, not the last.

Upvote 0
Do we need to go back to the battery charging graph again?

Constant voltage is used for the last couple of hours to charge the battery and there is very little current draw from that point, especially in the last hour or so of charging. I'm seeing the same battery life you guys charging on USB are and have never charged via USB.

It doesn't matter what your source, 4.5v charger, a messed up USB port putting out 5.5v, it all gets regulated down to 4.2 for charging. Only the first part of the charge will be affected by a different current rating on the charger, not the last.

Hey, I'm only reporting my results.

And as of 10:30am I am still at 80% that is 16 hours. To me the evidence is undeniable. And there seems to be others on the board getting similar results.

And noone is argueing that said chart is wrong or that a battery isn't charged in that way. We are only saying we ARE getting a better charge from the USB.

Upvote 0
Hey, I'm only reporting my results.

And as of 10:30am I am still at 80% that is 16 hours. To me the evidence is undeniable. And there seems to be others on the board getting similar results.

And noone is argueing that said chart is wrong or that a battery isn't charged in that way. We are only saying we ARE getting a better charge from the USB.

Adrift: That's good. I will try the USB to charge my Moment. Thanks for the tip and testing from your part.

Upvote 0
Personally, I would recommend against using the default weather widget just because its ugly.

If you must have a weather widget, use Beautiful Widgets which will give you a flip clock with weather ala HTC Hero, or get the Weather widget - Donate off market. Which will give you the option of sevetal different widgets including the flip clock. You have far more control over how often these widgets will pull GPS and data

I will however be trying out your Maps suggestion and see if that makes any difference.

+rep

Thanks for the widget suggestion!

Upvote 0
All I have to say it follow the dozens of other posts that tell you to do a FULL battery drain, like let the phone die, wait a bit try to restart it until it dies before it can complete boot so the battery is totally drained, then plug it in recharge to full without disconnecting(I didn't even turn the phone on till the charge was full), do that about 2-3 times.

My phone would not only run out of battery life in like 4 hours or less after a full charge, but would usually die once and not restart when I pressed the on button, I would have to pull the battery then put it back in before it would even reboot, then it would come up with 25 to 10% battery life and die within an hour. I hadn't heard of a problem where you had to pull the battery to make it restart so I thought it was a hardware problem at first, maybe some type of overheating since the phone would get a little warm. After doing the full drain and full charge a few times I used the phone for about 12 hours or more with moderate use without having to recharge. I'm going to do the full drain 1, maybe 2 more times, but I no longer have my phone randomly turn off after a short amount of time anymore, it's actually a real phone now that I can use for more than 3 hours without recharging.

Upvote 0
All I have to say it follow the dozens of other posts that tell you to do a FULL battery drain, like let the phone die, wait a bit try to restart it until it dies before it can complete boot so the battery is totally drained, then plug it in recharge to full without disconnecting(I didn't even turn the phone on till the charge was full), do that about 2-3 times.

My phone would not only run out of battery life in like 4 hours or less after a full charge, but would usually die once and not restart when I pressed the on button, I would have to pull the battery then put it back in before it would even reboot, then it would come up with 25 to 10% battery life and die within an hour. I hadn't heard of a problem where you had to pull the battery to make it restart so I thought it was a hardware problem at first, maybe some type of overheating since the phone would get a little warm. After doing the full drain and full charge a few times I used the phone for about 12 hours or more with moderate use without having to recharge. I'm going to do the full drain 1, maybe 2 more times, but I no longer have my phone randomly turn off after a short amount of time anymore, it's actually a real phone now that I can use for more than 3 hours without recharging.
Nice to hear you had luck, and are now pleased with the phone!

BTW as of 2:30 I am still at 70%. That is 20 Hours now off the charger, with the phone on, light use, a couple calls, a few text messages, watched a tiny amount of Sprint TV last night. This is Awesome!,

Yes, I am still attributing it to USB charging. I can't explain why the wall charger would charge to 100% then immediately go to 80-90% once disconnected, then if you reattatch it to the wall charger, within minutes it shows "fully charged" again. Then if you take the phone from the wall charger to the USB charger it can take a few hours, sometimes, to reach "fully charged".

And yes, I understand the reasoning of it taking longer to charge to 100% from 80-90% than from full drain, and this being why it takes so long to get there when using USB charging. This does not explain why the wall charger seems to falsely read "fully charged" and then prematurely cut charging. If this were not the case then hooking the phone back up to the wall charger should render you similar results as the USB charger, only marginally sooner reading "fully charged". Also battery graph shows, using wall charger, the battery reaching 100% from 0% within 4 hours... this is just silly.

I believe I will be charging solely from USB, until a fix comes out. <--- I will be "testing this method" if this doesn't render good results I will go back to wall charging till "fully charged" then topping off with USB.

Upvote 0
I my experience this has been the case with the majority of phones, or many types of batteries for that matter. Many of the htc winmo phones I have owned typically held a charge (or at least a higher percentage) longer by usb charging as opposed to the actual power cord. With that said I dont think that has anything to do with our battery meters. One persons experience is not representative of the entire group. I have had the moment since the first and have used both the usb cable and power cord with random mixed results on both. I think there is just driver issuse of some sort.

Upvote 0
I still wouldn't solely charge off the usb. I think we can get the same result by wall charging and then moving it to usb when its done.
Woops..meant to add I am only going to test charging from USB solely. If that doesnt work, will be doing wall then USB to top off. That is what I have been doing. Though if you could give some insight into your reasoning that would be helpful.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I wasn't meaning to imply anything. I just know from my Winmo ROM building days that some of the battery drivers would give false results mostly when using drivers for 5% and 1% incerements. HTC probaby has coded their own driver hence the reason the hero has 1% increments. This is just my belief though, and Im not as familiar with android under the hood as I was with winmo.

Upvote 0
Argh. I wish I could figure this out. I think there may be something to the top off method. Last time, I charged with wall charger, used the phone for a bit (1/2 hour?) -- saw it dropped to 80% so plugged it into usb. After reaching 100%, it was above 15% for about 15 hours -- mostly no use, but some intense (games) use.

Last night, I charged it with just the usb; unplugged and used after it reached 100%. Noticed a drop to 80%; plugged it back into the usb. Took it off the charger this morning at 9:30. By 2:30 its at 15%.

I'm not sure what it is. Adrift, did you change any of your settings? Change 'background data'? remove widgets? so on? Did you turn off any radios? Bluetooth, GPS, wireless?

Upvote 0
Argh. I wish I could figure this out. I think there may be something to the top off method. Last time, I charged with wall charger, used the phone for a bit (1/2 hour?) -- saw it dropped to 80% so plugged it into usb. After reaching 100%, it was above 15% for about 15 hours -- mostly no use, but some intense (games) use.

Last night, I charged it with just the usb; unplugged and used after it reached 100%. Noticed a drop to 80%; plugged it back into the usb. Took it off the charger this morning at 9:30. By 2:30 its at 15%.

I'm not sure what it is. Adrift, did you change any of your settings? Change 'background data'? remove widgets? so on? Did you turn off any radios? Bluetooth, GPS, wireless?
Background data on, killed weather widget, bluetooth off, GPS and Wireless on.

24 hours since last charge... Still at 70%

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones