• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery problems, quirks and issues: Read first.

I've had the phone a few days not and experienced the same battery meter issues as others. I let the phone wind down to 5% a couple of days in a row and I find that the battery meter seems to work better. I was wondering if the meter needs to calibrate before it can work accurately. Now after 10 hours with moderate use I am at 60%.

By the way, I have been using APNdroid and I can still access the internet even though it have comm switched off. Any ideas?

Antonio
Patent Law for Inventors Blog

Upvote 0
The fact that some of you have to go through this is unbelievable. I returned mine, however my wife will be getting one in a few weeks. Hopefully this gets resolved.
I don't follow?

It was found that the battery life is actually quite good, it's just that the meter is "uncalibrated" out of the box. With a little conditioning the battery, and battery meter, perform great in most cases... AMAZING in others.

I am going on 41 hours of not charging my phone and am at 60% battery life.

Upvote 0
I have read this whole thread an havent seen anyone mention network settings?
Changing mine from auto to local has made a definite improvement in battery life
I have gone from hitting yellow in the afternoon to not hitting yellow till evening now
Could just be where I live but it helped
Sorry I havent done all the time measuring stuff just know the phone lasts long enough now that Im keeping it
I also deleted the weather widget and put up a shortcut in its place

Upvote 0
Hey folks,

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed their Moment saying "Fully Charged" then shortly after taking it off the charger it reports at 80% left?

It's not that its draining that much battery that fast it just seems that it is not getting fully charged. The battery also isn't discharging abnormally fast like Hero pre 3rd party messaging, it just seems to report falsly that it is completely charged and stops charging. Has anyone else experienced this? Or should I go for an exchange and get a properly charging unit?

Doing some more tests to see if it will do this every time, or if I can get the bettery to take a full charge somehow.
Yup, but shortly is a bad term--Immediately comes to mind. Everytime on mine.

Upvote 0
I don't follow?

It was found that the battery life is actually quite good, it's just that the meter is "uncalibrated" out of the box. With a little conditioning the battery, and battery meter, perform great in most cases... AMAZING in others.

I am going on 41 hours of not charging my phone and am at 60% battery life.

That's the case for some, but not others. Some of you seem to have the greatest smartphone battery ever. Repeated discharging and charging did zilch for me.

Upvote 0
Yup, but shortly is a bad term--Immediately comes to mind. Everytime on mine.

Yes, this is a common quirk, and later in this thread there is a solution discussed that seems to work for a majority of folks. I would suggest maybe trying it out and reporting back on whether or not it worked for you? This way we can get a better feel as to the effectivness of the solution.

Upvote 0
It doesn't matter how much battery they cram into the phone you'll always end up with people complaining about it.

If it isn't because they can't get through a normal day it's because they can't get through a normal day with 6 home screens of widgets and email polling every 5 minutes over the cell network.
Exactly how DOES one get 6 home screens full of widgets? I thought we were stuck with just three?

Upvote 0
Yes, this is a common quirk, and later in this thread there is a solution discussed that seems to work for a majority of folks. I would suggest maybe trying it out and reporting back on whether or not it worked for you? This way we can get a better feel as to the effectivness of the solution.
Whew--done, gonna try a bunch of that. Sure am glad I read most of the thread. The google maps thing was an excellent idea.

Upvote 0
Found this on droidforums.net, basically a recap of what we've learned from this thread...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
How to Maximize the life of your battery.There are several things you can do to maximize the useful life of your battery. Batteries typically have 300 to 400 charge cycles in their life span.
Dirty battery contacts are the number one source of charging problems. Clean the battery contacts with either an eraser or use alcohol and a cotton swab from time to time. Make sure no eraser or cotton is left on the contact points.
Don

Upvote 0
Another tidbit from droidforums.net member keichii25, very informative:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Something people need to understand a little with battery life and those nags people get about phones.

First off - Out of the Box Battery Life - I am sure many of you remember that the rep and even some manuals say you should 'charge your battery for 24 hours before using'. This is roughly 'conditioning the battery'. By Law, devices are not suppose to be shipped with the battery installed. And more to the point, the battery is not to be at 'full charge'. The reason for the message of needing to charge the battery for 24 hours is to insure it has a good standing charge and to get the most out of the battery as much as possible.

What most people don't do, and I am also one who has done it with my own droid, is assume that we have a good battery and just use it. Problem is, most batteries do not function in a 'linear' way. Linear meaning, I go 5 steps, it is 5 steps down, I go another 5 steps, it is another 5 steps down.

Most batteries function in a logrhytmic way. Logrhythmic, meaning that I go 5 steps, it will go down 2, I go another 5 steps, it may go down 3, another 5, it may go down to 3.5. It isn't steady or 'straightforward'.

Standby/Talk time - People wonder why there are two different times, and yes, I know many of you know standby means phone isn't being used, and

Talk is when it is. What people don't understand is why the battery can't maintain both at the time.

Standby is longer due to the fact that you are not broadcasting. Broadcasting a signal, even with towers trying to receive signals, still takes a reasonable amount of power for a device of its size. The power to just 'listen' for a "Hey, you got a call/text" is minute mostly because you just need to receive a signal and process it. But when talking or making a call, you are not only receiving and processing the signal, but also trying to send out a message back out and hoping another tower will receive and process it. If these were the old Analog phones, the ones with the big battery packs and huge antennas, you would be using a lot more power to do the same thing.

Apps - As many people here have stated, you really don't need to go Kill App crazy, however, you do need to understand something with regards to some apps.

Any app that needs to use the network, will cause a slight drain in the battery. Why? Well, let's explain something about how the internet works.
Network Apps need to 'talk' to something. They send data to a server saying, "Hey, give me data for this..." So now, you are spending a little 'talk time' because your phone is sending a signal out due to that app.
Things like Streaming Music, IM, or even that little weather update app you have running. They will go "Hey, I need more info, send it to me." So you are burning battery power because these chatty programs are sending data out to get more data in.

This is the reason why one of the battery conservation suggestions from the droid booklet says to not have background data or sync on all the time. While Gmail can push its mail, the pop/imap stuff will require you to setup a time interval so you can get your mail, but generally, you want it at a longer time interval to avoid constant 'chatter'.

And just so you know, IM is one of those constant chatter apps because it does ping the IM Server with the "I'm online" status. Most IM programs don't have a convenient 'sync' timer to do that, as IM servers and clients like to keep 'up to date' on status for that reason.

This is not to say you need to go crazy or OCD on killing tasks, just be aware that if you want to prolong your battery life, make sure you minimize the number of network talking apps as much as possible. The fewer there are, the less 'talk time' is used on the battery charge.

Upvote 0
I've had my phone off the charger for a little over 3 hours now and it is still at full charge.

-I used the USB charger connected to my computer.
-Took it off the charger with a full charge at 9:30am
-Have received multiple text messages and email notifications every hour since then.
-It is now quarter to 1:00pm and still at full charge.

:D

Hey, good to see you are having success with the battery! Looks like things are really starting to look up for the Moment's battery.

Update- going on 45 hours now and after some heavier use (videos, camera, text, internet, calls) I am now at 40%.

I'm think at 48 hours I'm gonna go ahead and charge it. Or would you folks prefer me to just let it run till it drops and see how far it will go?

Upvote 0
Hey, good to see you are having success with the battery! Looks like things are really starting to look up for the Moment's battery.

Update- going on 45 hours now and after some heavier use (videos, camera, text, internet, calls) I am now at 40%.

I'm think at 48 hours I'm gonna go ahead and charge it. Or would you folks prefer me to just let it run till it drops and see how far it will go?

This is like that Seinfeld episode with Kramer and the car salesman. Keep driving!

Upvote 0
Hey guys - awesome work, first off. So, I've been doing my best to condition the battery; charging it full and trying to use it until it dies. At night, a couple hours before I go to bed, I try to drain as quick as I can by turning on WiFi, GPS, Location (which puts me in Fiji now.. ?) and I leave Google Maps running with no screen time out. Last night it sat at 5% for 3 hours and wouldn't freakin die. This is the last question I thought I'd be asking, but, anything else you recommend to drain my battery as quickly as possible so I can get my condition on? I've been able to do full cycles twice (in the last week), and aside from improved meter accuracy, I'll still get 30-50% drops within minutes.
I do need to be able to use my phone for alarm in the morning, which is why I try to take care of this at night.
Thx!

Upvote 0
Hey guys - awesome work, first off. So, I've been doing my best to condition the battery; charging it full and trying to use it until it dies. At night, a couple hours before I go to bed, I try to drain as quick as I can by turning on WiFi, GPS, Location (which puts me in Fiji now.. ?) and I leave Google Maps running with no screen time out. Last night it sat at 5% for 3 hours and wouldn't freakin die. This is the last question I thought I'd be asking, but, anything else you recommend to drain my battery as quickly as possible so I can get my condition on? I've been able to do full cycles twice (in the last week), and aside from improved meter accuracy, I'll still get 30-50% drops within minutes.
I do need to be able to use my phone for alarm in the morning, which is why I try to take care of this at night.
Thx!

Hmmmmm...brighten screen to the fullest setting, download Droidlive and stream music via evo (not wifi) and crank up the volume. Then see if you can set this in the bacground and play a 4 hr long movie in high quality. Or just turn on your video camera and put it on standby. Theses might drain your battery faster.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones