• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery problems, quirks and issues: Read first.

After my 2nd rundown last night, charged up over night. Phone came off the charger at 6:45am and it's now 1:30pm. Battery is at 70%. Not nearly as much use today as yesterday, but still emails. occasional web, and a couple phone calls. No GPS today, didn't remeber to turn it on to make seom extra drain.

Upvote 0
i let my moment completly die last night. took it off the charger at 7am mst fully chargerd to 100%. made a couple phone calls web browsed for about ten minutes and explored the market for about fie minutes. its now 1:50pm and its only at 70%.

I took mine off at the same time you did(MST) and it's 2 now and I've got 50% after some GPS nav, all wireless turned on, some Cestos, ~30 mins of phone calls and i'd say 100 or so texts.

Upvote 0
This is ridiculous. Who the hell does the testing for these phones? Seriously, it's happening to virtually everyone. Who do I email too? This is unacceptable. It's 2009 and they should be able to release a smart-phone that can last an entire day with heavy usage without worry that the phone is going to die.

it will last the whole day the problem is that you will be staring at 15% mark for most of it :D

but if you do get that email post it so they get the patch out sooner.

Upvote 0
After unplugging at 6:45 this morning from a 2nd complete drain of the battery, I'm still chugging along. I dropped to 15% finally around 4:30pm this afternoon. Between my update earlier this afteroon and the 4:30, I surfed the web for about an hour and had 3 phone calls, probably 30 minutes talk time and a few texts.

Since 4:30, been at 15% and have been playing around since 6:30pm or so. Gonna do a 3rd full drain tonight, but not sure how long it will take as I have run for over 2 hours on 15% reading.

Upvote 0
This is ridiculous. Who the hell does the testing for these phones? Seriously, it's happening to virtually everyone. Who do I email too? This is unacceptable. It's 2009 and they should be able to release a smart-phone that can last an entire day with heavy usage without worry that the phone is going to die.

The only smart phone ive had that could actually last all day of real heavy use is my blackberry

Upvote 0
I posted this to one of the Sprint forums as well. Anyone have any ideas on the cover?

I managed to get 12 hours today with moderate usage and GPS off. Not great, but maybe the minimum amount I'm willing to accept. We'll see. I did make an interesting discovery. The extended battery for my old phone (Samsung Ace/Blackjack II) almost fits in to this phone (it's slightly shorter, so you have to wedge a small piece of paper or something at the bottom to hold it in place. The phone runs just fine with this battery which is 1800 mAH, so you could possibly squeeze a little more runtime out that way. Now if I could figure out some way to get a battery door that fits. Is there any way to order some extra doors that I could then experiment modifying?

Upvote 0
I posted this to one of the Sprint forums as well. Anyone have any ideas on the cover?

I managed to get 12 hours today with moderate usage and GPS off. Not great, but maybe the minimum amount I'm willing to accept. We'll see. I did make an interesting discovery. The extended battery for my old phone (Samsung Ace/Blackjack II) almost fits in to this phone (it's slightly shorter, so you have to wedge a small piece of paper or something at the bottom to hold it in place. The phone runs just fine with this battery which is 1800 mAH, so you could possibly squeeze a little more runtime out that way. Now if I could figure out some way to get a battery door that fits. Is there any way to order some extra doors that I could then experiment modifying?

I'm getting more than 15 hours of moderate usage, GPS always on (only used when an app calls for it) out of my moment. I'd take an extended battery too, but not one that requires a new battery panel.

Edit:
Now almost 9:30, been streaming pandora since 7pm in the background and surfing the web and Market the whole time. Still at 15% on the meter. I'm trying to kill the battery for a 3rd night in a row, but it looks like it's getting tougher to get it to die after 2 complete drains the last 2 nights... which of course is good news.

11pm edit:
Well, I tried tonight. I turned on wifi and GPS, ran pandora and google maps, phone is still going albeit reading 3% and I'm not sure when it went to 3%, but has not turned off once. I am cautiously optimistic that the guage is getting a little better, but based on today's experience I gotta say I'm pretty happy with the ACTUAL battery life as I'm approaching 18 hours since I left the charger.

Tomorrow, I think I'll go back to trying to run it down by starting earlier, turning on GPS on the way to work etc.

I did talk to a guy at work today who has a G1 and he mentioned that his battery was absolute crap at first, but after a couple weeks he was happier and now after a few months it easily lasts him all day and then some. He did do some complete drains at first too and he periodically drains the battery still. Maybe a placebo (his words, but I agree), but it makes him feel confident in his battery. He never said his battery guage was goofy, but maybe he trusted it more than most of us are trusting the moment guage and for good reason.

Upvote 0
These are my results for the first day after drain and full battery charge.

Took the phone off the charge at 8:30 this morning; went from 100% -> 80% 9:30. By 10:30 it was at 70%, but stayed that way all the way up until 3-4:00. Was at 30% by 9:30. Started messing with the phone a lot (gps/txting/phone calls/youtube) around 10:30, went to 5% and died around 11:30.

Battery seems much better than the palm pre. I'll post again for day 2.

Upvote 0
I've been following this thread for the obvious reasons but, I have a question. How do you go about getting this thing to charge up to 100% ?.
I've drained it dead for two nights in a row and the next morning it is only showing 90% and drops ridiculously in an hour although it does stay running from 7:00AM until 7:00PM and craps out shortly after.

I don't know how anyone else has done it but I ran mine to the point it wouldn't turn back on for the past two nights. Charged it each time for no less than 7 hours each night. Moderate use through each day and then this morning it hit 100% for the first time. It's been off of the charger for about 45 minutes so far and is still at 100%. I guess we'll see how well the battery holds through the day.

Upvote 0
After third kill I've been off the charger for about an hour and I'm at 100%. I do notice that when it gets close to the end it will spontaneously reboot itself during processor intensive stuff. Mine only did it once but it was at the point where the battery meter was a red battery with a slash through it(it actually got there instead of dying at 5%).

If you want to kill the phone faster don't use WiFi. It is MUCH less of a battery hog than cellular data is.

Since I wanted to keep using my phone last night after I killed it I was forced to use it on the charger. I REALLY like where they placed the usb on this phone. A couple of reviews said it sucked because you can't use it with car docks but i'd rather be able to use it normally when charging than have it in a dock.

Upvote 0
Just a note: But if you guys/gals really want to make a meaningful comparison on battery usage - YOU MUST ALL have the SAME setup (settings + programs + alarms + volume settings....etc...) on your phones, as well as take the same routes every morning.

In regards to the keyboard lights going off at 15% and below - maybe it's time to generate a STICKY of what we want for the next update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones