1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Battery question from an android noob

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mpetruzz, Dec 22, 2011.

1. mpetruzz

mpetruzz Newbie
    None

Nov 25, 2011
    First off I love this phone!! So many things are great, but my only complaint is the battery. I don't want to have to get the extended battery cause I toss my phone in my front pocket quite a bit.

Anywho, I have had my phone for a few days and I just wanted to reach out to everyone to see if what I'm experiencing is normal. I charged my phone to 100%, while it was on. I unplugged it and within 1 hour of it sitting on my desk and me not touching it, went down to 81%. I know that this phone is powerful and uses quite a bit of juice, but that seems a bit much. 20% in an hour and i didn't even touch it!!

I mean, no email, no text, nothing!!

I've read about 2x battery and juice defender. Are those gimmicky apps or could they help??

BTW i have it at normal power mode and screen brightness at 40%

Does this sound like a defective battery or some other issue??

Advertisement

2. ToyotaTacoma

ToyotaTacoma Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Not normal.

Don't worry about any gimmicky battery solutions.... Those worked pre android 2.2, but not needed now.

Start by turning off GPS and any apps that sync constantly.. or adjust the frequency they sync.

Check your signal... If you are in a bad coverage area, that can also kill your battery. Try using WiFi when possible, it will greatly increase battery life.

I get 18 hours regularly with my Rezound (at the end of 18 hours I am usually at 30%).

3. mpetruzz

mpetruzz Newbie
    None

Nov 25, 2011
    Thanks for the response. I just wanted to ask cause I'm coming from an iPhone. I knew that the battery life would be worse, but this was a bit much.

So far I'm getting these results with GPS off, 4g off and the only thing syncing is gmail.

I even used the cleantool to remove the bloat and sense.

Is it a battery issue or could it be something with the phone. I'm getting full bars in regards to signal.

4. ToyotaTacoma

None

Mar 18, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I don't know what this is, but I wonder if it is causing the issue?

Compared to a coworkers iPhone 4, I get much better battery life.

I always leave 4g on.

For your battery to drain so quickly in standby, something is draining it.

Go into settings and battery use and see what "android os" percentage is. If it is over 5-6%, it is probably a rogue app.

5. mpetruzz

mpetruzz Newbie
    None

Nov 25, 2011
    Just checked and heres what it said. Display 78, standby 7, idle 5, android os 2. I only had a few other apps that were like 2%

6. ToyotaTacoma

None

Mar 18, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    That all sounds normal... It is possible it is a battery issue. I wouldn't worry until about a week into cycling the battery. Hopefully someone else can chime in and help.

I can tell you that on normal days, it takes me 8 or so hours to get my battery under 80%.

7. mpetruzz

mpetruzz Newbie
    None

Nov 25, 2011
    Thanks for the help so far. Should i let the battery drain all the way down before charging??

8. ToyotaTacoma

None

Mar 18, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    There are many theories on that... Personally, I have never worried about that, I just charge it at the end of the day regardless.

It might make a difference, but I am not sure.

9. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    The newer batteries don't gather a ring memory of drain so it really doesn't matter when you charge it. Normally it will take a couple of charge/drain cycles for the battery to settle in. I would keep an eye on it for a few days. If you don't find an app or bad signal doing your batter in and it's still draining too .. it must be the battery. The Rezound is pretty good on battery usage.

10. Guardian Enzo

Guardian Enzo Newbie
    None

When I'm not using it, I lose a little less than 2% an hour, so your drain is not normal. It could be a bad battery, but I'd certainly try adjusting the sync rate for whatever services you're running. Probably the single biggest thing that helped my battery life was always using wifi when at home.

11. nynvolt

nynvolt Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    SoCal
    That's not normal battery drain. It definitely has inproved in the two weeks Ive owned it. Even new it didn't drain that fast. On the charge the battery had brand new I played with it a couple hourse before putting it on the charger for the first time, even then it was still green. I'd call customer service. You may get a free battery sent to you if you dont want to replace the phone. Be aware that they will have usage records so they will know calls, texts and internet or market usage so be honest and polite, they will fix you up.

12. mpetruzz

mpetruzz Newbie
    None

Nov 25, 2011
    Thanks for all the help everyone. I never thought of the wifi use when I'm at home to save battery. Do i need to toggle it off if I leave my house?? I'm assuming that if i'm not getting wifi then it'll drain the battery as well.

I have had a few people say to turn on the setting that turns everything off when the screen is off except for phone and messaging. how do I do that?? That seems like it would help quite a bit. I've looked at what's using the battery and I don't have any culprits. The only thing i was using was beautiful widgets and that was set to update once an hour.

13. trophynuts

trophynuts Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    Yes turn the wifi off when your not going to use it.

to your other suggestion to me at that point you turn a smartphone into a dumb phone.

Give it a couple more days. I consistently got 10 - 15 hours on mine when i had it with my usage.

14. boatingal

boatingal Lurker
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    I found one of the best things for battery life is to make sure the phone is set to sleep automatically (under settings / power). Right now I have been on for 12 hours and have 66% left. I haven't played much with the phone today but did make some calls, texts, etc. I leave GPS and 4g on all the time (although it goes to wifi when I get home).

I use the Camel app to automatically turn the wi-fi on when I arrive home and off when I leave. It also can change the volume automatically when I get to work which is cool.

15. Kane5581

Kane5581 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Just get a spare battery and a standalone charger then you never even need to care. Abuse your phone all day and when you hear that little beep swap the battery and start all over fresh without ever being tethered to a charger.

Tags: