1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Battery questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ncyrider16, Jan 5, 2015.

1. ncyrider16

ncyrider16 Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    My Galaxy S5 battery runs out faster than when I first got the phone a while ago. Can this be from letting the charge drop to 10% or less, and leaving it like that for a few hours (I've done that a few times)? Because I'm wondering if I should get a new battery soon. The battery can still last for well over a day, though. And I always do basic stuff to save batt life, like adjusting screen brightness and killing apps.

If I should get a new battery, is it best to stick with Samsung, or get another brand battery like this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IJ1L4BG...TF8&colid=3R6S14MWXAM0J&coliid=I141Q1RPCY0OLX

Also, my S5 doesn't have an SD card. Would it help out/make the phone work better if I installed one? About 85% of the storage is being used from the 16gb, so I'm assuming it would...

Advertisement

2. systemofadown

systemofadown Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    North Carolina
    A battery calabration might help, but its probably apps running in the background that eats up your battery. I'm not a professional at this so don't take my word as android law ;). I never let my battery run below 15% if it can be helped - its not good for lithium batteries. Do you run GPS in the location setting? If so unselect high accuracy.

I'd get a battery directly from Samsung if you do replace the original. I've never trusted the various other brands,copy's,counterfeits in an expensive device. Plus if you do use the NFC capabilities you'll have to have the stock Samsung NFC battery.
    I use a class 10 quality micro SD card to help keep my internal memory from being full as on some devices that can cause a bit of slowdown..

3. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    History: I'm a retired electronics tech, working with batteries in the communications industry, 2 way radios, Microwave radios, Police radios, Fire Department (20 years) 911 dispatch centers, standby generators that need batteries Hot All the Time)..... I've been in the industry since 1958, I doubt many of you were even alive then. I retired Christmas 2010.
    Enjoy, the world has a lot of great things to show us.... I hope to see a few more great scientific things before I leave here.

Just as a general rule of thumb, most batteries will give better life if you do not deep cycle them all the time. That includes "Deep Cycle Marine Batteries" which are purposely made to be run almost flat; even so, it hurts them badly to pull them into the bottom 1/3rd of their capacity. Most fisherman don't give a rats arse, all they want is Long Life between charges for a few weeks to get thru this season, then next season it is a New Battery.

Most cell phone users are cheap skates, we don't want to waste money on batteries unless we absolutely have to.

I personally have the Low Battery alarm set for 40%, and when I note that the phone is getting somewhere near 50% down or more, I will throw it on the Qi charger pad. Daytime or Bedtime, I don't care, I just lay it on the pad and go about life until I need the phone. Easy to pick it up, no USB wires involved. It is an easy life style for me.

That all being said, I have been sick for the last week, my head feels like an explosion went off and my ears and sinuses hurt... (must have overcharged the phone [​IMG][​IMG] )

The screenshot shows my phone at 64% after being off charge now for 2 days and 18 hours. that's almost 3 full days.. The only use my phone has had is two conversations of about an hour, and several times looking at the Settings Menus to help forum users, looking at how to write up macros for a specific user's needs. In other words, short screen times... I just checked it, Screen time is 1 hr 30 minutes.

I still won't bother throwing it on the charger pad until some time tomorrow when it gets closer to the 50% point.

Okay, you are asking me "What the Hell does this have to do with 'My S5' "... I am trying to show you that you must have some apps running in the background, or you have a lot of screen time, or you don't turn OFF your data and Wifi radios like I do.

I use MacroDroid to automate the way my phone is used. ie, if the phone is idle and laying on the table, the WiFi and Data radios are both turned off. Why? It is impossible for any apps to call home to ET and talk to momma and get an update. Updates? I have those turned OFF also, they aren't needed unless something breaks the app. then I will update that one app.

In other words, there is no CPU activity hardly at all with my S5 if it is not being used. It is idling at a very low power cycle and battery drain is extremely low.

For the OP, do as already suggested and do a Battery Recalibration on your phone. Then take a good hard look at your habits. do you demand that the WiFi and Data radios always be ON because you don't dare miss a Twinkle or a Faceless idiot update? If that is the case, your battery will suffer, period. You can't have your cake and eat it too. No way, Jose. (sorry, an old Electronics Tech saying)

You either cull out the offending apps, change the way you use the phone, and get better life from the battery, or you have to Pay the Piper. There just is no other way with the Law of Physics and Chemistry. That battery will serve you well indeed if you keep it on the top half of its' capacity. When I am working full time, I drop the phone on the Qi pad when I get home and it stays there until I leave for work at 0500. I want to have a full battery at the start of the day every day.

Now that I am off work (I'm seasonal, 72 yrs old, drive a spray truck in the summers) I don't use my phone much, so it coasts thru day after day w/o using the battery much. see my screen shot. Oh, I got bored setting around at home, so I went back to work. Keeps my muscles moving, and my brain engaged.

. 2 days 18 hrs Battery.png

MacroDroid senses Scrn off, turns Wifi & Data OFF,
    MD senses Scrn on, turns WiFi & Data ON

#3 AZgl1500, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.