• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

battery saver and app killer

ok, so i just bought the commando couple days ago my dad has the same phone and first thing we did was installed a battery saver (juice defender) and a app killer (i had automatic app killer , he has something else) anyway, wen to a friend of mine who is really good wit phones like these its like his thing. he said to take off both apps that the phone saves battery itself. iv really noticed no difference in my battery life. so i cant tell whether or not the apps actually worked or not....my question is does anyone else on here use the battery saver app and app killer? or are they really useless....just trying to get more than one opinion.

ok, so i just bought the commando couple days ago my dad has the same phone and first thing we did was installed a battery saver (juice defender) and a app killer (i had automatic app killer , he has something else) anyway, wen to a friend of mine who is really good wit phones like these its like his thing. he said to take off both apps that the phone saves battery itself. iv really noticed no difference in my battery life. so i cant tell whether or not the apps actually worked or not....my question is does anyone else on here use the battery saver app and app killer? or are they really useless....just trying to get more than one opinion.
I'm no expert by any means, but thats the reason I read up on stuff, to learn, and what I've read and learned about our commandos is they do not need either one. An app killer will shutdown an app that will just restart in the background, so what's the point? Furthermore I have read that "juice defender " actually uses more resources than it conserves. I have an app called "1 tap cleaner" that tells me what's running and lets me clear and refresh mem with a tap. I can't really tell any difference one way or the other, but I use it sometimes. Your best bet might be to try them out and see for yourself. Alot of times a battery saving app usually just turns stuff down or off and usually it's stuff I like to set the way I like it. I keep my screen at 100% bright and screen timeout at 1 min. The battery saver app will reset my settings. I don't want them reset. So to each their own. I don't use that stuff.

Upvote 0
Task killers are bad for android, here's why:

I develop Android apps so I though I'd explain why a task killer isn't needed on an Android system.

Activities
Android apps use activites to preform tasks. For example, if you use a file manager to send a picture via email, the file manager calls the send activity within an email app, passes the file name to it and the email app sends the picture.. not the file manager. This will result in seeing the email app as "running" even though the user didn't actually launch that email app.

Smaller apps
Using activites helps developers design smaller apps. A file manager app that contains every bit of code needed to do everything a file manager does would likely be so large that no one would want to install it. Developers know that an android phone more than likely has an email app so there is no need for the developer to include email code in his/her file manager to send a picture when he/she can call an activity in an existing email app to do the job. This results in a smaller file manager app since there is no need to include email code or any other code for an activity that can be done via an app that is already present on the phone. This also alleviates redundant code. When you install an app outside of the android market, also known as sideloading, the file manager app calls the package installer (already present in Android) to install the requested app.

Running apps vs. cached apps
The "Manage Applications" list included in many android devices lists running apps as well as cached apps. Cached apps don't use any CPU or battery, they're cached so they will load faster the next time you need them. Killing cached apps results in those apps requiring more time to load the next time they are launched.

System management
By default, every android application runs in its own Linux process. Android starts the process when any of the application

Reactions: Emgo and cbreze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones