• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Saver/Wifi Connections

This just popped up my on my twitter...

Y5 Battery Saver Keeps Wi-Fi On Only Near Trusted Spots

When you connect to wifi, it'll remember the rough location (without GPS). Periodically it'll tap back into that location and if you are near it it'll flip on WiFi so you can connect. If you aren't near an area you've connected too before, it'll keep wifi off.

I discovered this app today as well. Seems interesting. I have Tasker and will likely try to recreate this app with it. Question though:

Wifi uses less battery when available and browsing. Check. I can wrap my head around that.

But when wifi is on, but not in use, screen off, does it go to sleep? I have had it on here, connected to my router for a while and the battery hasn't gone down a bit.
I am just used to laptops and such, that when the wifi is simply 'on', your battery life sucks. Whether you are browsing or not, the battery life drops a lot just by having it connected.

Upvote 0
This just popped up my on my twitter...

Y5 Battery Saver Keeps Wi-Fi On Only Near Trusted Spots

When you connect to wifi, it'll remember the rough location (without GPS). Periodically it'll tap back into that location and if you are near it it'll flip on WiFi so you can connect. If you aren't near an area you've connected too before, it'll keep wifi off.

y5 never really worked for me. I'm guessing it's largely due to the same tower covering the house, and work, and the mall/church/brothel/bar/etc...

It's just easier to have WiFi Status - Cyrket and to just turn off/om wifi as needed. Or just leave it on constantly...currently I have wifi 90% of the time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones