• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery saving apps

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since i always leave data or wifi off unless I'm actually browsing or checking my mail or using e buddy, and i leave screen brightness at its lowest unless i go in the sun, none of the battery saving apps would benefit me at all right?

I can only see things like juicedefender etc working if i left data on all the time by controlling how often apps sync, etc.

You gotta keep in mind that these devices are essentially tiny computers. I mean if your trying to compare your new flashy android phone to your old flip phone its never going to happen. All the smartphones come with big screens which have amazing displays on them which drain battery. Getting through 1 full day is pretty much my goal during work days..

Upvote 0
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since i always leave data or wifi off unless I'm actually browsing or checking my mail or using e buddy, and i leave screen brightness at its lowest unless i go in the sun, none of the battery saving apps would benefit me at all right?

I can only see things like juicedefender etc working if i left data on all the time by controlling how often apps sync, etc.

Probably right as all they would do is set-up an "intelligent" way of switching data on/off, though the only one I've used its 'Green Power' and that didn't do anything for my phone. I've a Desire HD and was getting a day from each charge so plugged it in at night (and If I was in the car). As I've been at home for a few days I switched off wifi and 3G as I have a PC that does everything better than the phone (I have a 24" screen on the PC ... :D ) and a charge now lasts 3 days. OK, it's not much of a *smart* phone in this mode but it's called being "user smart", you only use the "smart" bits when you need to.

Dave

Upvote 0
Here's another saver: free 'Y5' (in the market). It doesn't save your battery (doesn't drain it either), but it does save your data plan as it auto-switches from 3G/GPRS to WiFi whenever you get in range of a known hotspot.

On a similar note, I'm in the UK and have my phone and broadband with BT. That means, and I'm not sure of al the details about which plans are eligible but I'm sure you can find out (!!!), that I get a login/password for all BT Openzone wifi spots in the UK. Most coffee houses have these so you're set. NO 3G needed, just use the wifi.

Dave

Upvote 0
Here's another saver: free 'Y5' (in the market). It doesn't save your battery (doesn't drain it either), but it does save your data plan as it auto-switches from 3G/GPRS to WiFi whenever you get in range of a known hotspot.

Correct me if I'm wrong but free 'Y5' must be using wifi itself to try and locate known hotspots. Either it uses GPS or wifi to try and gain knowledge of where you are, or it uses 3G triangulation to find out where you are.

Anyway, besides the point, in my opinion this would drain the battery regardless of which way it tries to find your location. So doesn't seem to be a battery conservation tool.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones