• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

>> Battery specs are a joke!

From the Motorola site:

Global_Icons_Power_lg.JPG

POWER

up to 360 min / 6 hrs
USAGE TIME (CONTINUOUS)2

• BATTERY TYPE
    1420 mAh lithium polymer
  • STANDBY TIME2
    up to 325 hrs / 13.5 days

I did away with all the motoblur stuff but I've been having problems with my battery life still.... I've been running a bunch of apps, IMing, emails, wifi etc.... and it's been lasting about 6 hours.

Today I cut everything back using "advanced task manager free" and after about 6 or 7 hours I still only had like 40% left...... no where near anything like the specs.

Six hours
continuous talk time???? 325 hours standby??? Certainly not the way it comes out of the box!!! Who are they trying to kid????? Is anyone getting anything near this?? Is there even any way to get close to that???? WTF??? Does anyone find these specifications deceptive?

My battery might not be the best but it seems to be at least average from what I hear. Please tell me what setting I need to get this kid of battery life!!!!!

Some people here have said deep cycling the battery helps but that's supposed to be bad for lipo batteries

Some people also say you need to charge the battery fully before first use or you can ruin it but no other sites mention that.

I want to be able to use gps and apps and wifi and email and IM during the day w/o being tied to a charger all day. I was a dedicated sidekick user but now love the cliq.... except for the battery life.

I thought of getting a spare battery but don't want to lug an extra battery around...... I've seen apps (APNdroid) that shut off the data to conserve battery life but I want to use the features of the phone... that's why I have it....... what's the answer????

btw: "battery graph" and "spare parts" are great apps to monitor battery usage.

Also, in some places it says the bp6x battery is rated at 1300 mAh and in other is says 1420 mAh but it's the same battery!!! What's up with that???

Question: What kind of battery life do you experience with "normal" usage??? Does anyone know what settings to use to approximate the times noted in the Cliq specifications?

Thanks!!

From the Motorola site:

Global_Icons_Power_lg.JPG

POWER

up to 360 min / 6 hrs
USAGE TIME (CONTINUOUS)2

• BATTERY TYPE
    1420 mAh lithium polymer
  • STANDBY TIME2
    up to 325 hrs / 13.5 days

I did away with all the motoblur stuff but I've been having problems with my battery life still.... I've been running a bunch of apps, IMing, emails, wifi etc.... and it's been lasting about 6 hours.

Today I cut everything back using "advanced task manager free" and after about 6 or 7 hours I still only had like 40% left...... no where near anything like the specs.

Six hours
continuous talk time???? 325 hours standby??? Certainly not the way it comes out of the box!!! Who are they trying to kid????? Is anyone getting anything near this?? Is there even any way to get close to that???? WTF??? Does anyone find these specifications deceptive?

My battery might not be the best but it seems to be at least average from what I hear. Please tell me what setting I need to get this kid of battery life!!!!!

Some people here have said deep cycling the battery helps but that's supposed to be bad for lipo batteries

Some people also say you need to charge the battery fully before first use or you can ruin it but no other sites mention that.

I want to be able to use gps and apps and wifi and email and IM during the day w/o being tied to a charger all day. I was a dedicated sidekick user but now love the cliq.... except for the battery life.

I thought of getting a spare battery but don't want to lug an extra battery around...... I've seen apps (APNdroid) that shut off the data to conserve battery life but I want to use the features of the phone... that's why I have it....... what's the answer????

btw: "battery graph" and "spare parts" are great apps to monitor battery usage.

Also, in some places it says the bp6x battery is rated at 1300 mAh and in other is says 1420 mAh but it's the same battery!!! What's up with that???

Question: What kind of battery life do you experience with "normal" usage??? Does anyone know what settings to use to approximate the times noted in the Cliq specifications?

Thanks!!

As I am sure you have heard and recognized, Android eats up battery on any device. Closing background apps helps much. Disengaging the widgets is also a great idea on your part; that's what I did.

However, you need to realize that they make these phones with features you love... but not enough battery to handle it ALL DAY. Sure you want to use these services, but don't use them all day. I have and application called "Nice Battery" and I use it to quickly turn on/off wi-fi, gps, bluetooth, cell location, and of course 3G. Most people don't turn off their 3G because they want all access to 3G, but you really don't need it if you're not being heavily data intensive in my opinion. That and turning down the brightness of the screen and I've gotten about 15 hours on my battery.

But there are days when the battery just winds down and i dont know why with the very same settings and estimated usage. I use my phone moderately to heavily on a day to day basis.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones