1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Battery stops charging once it hits 100% then starts discharging when plugged

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shaddyyy, Dec 20, 2011.

1. shaddyyy

shaddyyy Well-Known Member

The battery stops charging once it reaches 100% then starts discharging as if it's no longer plugged in. The farthest i seen it discharge is to 98%. The battery symbol at the top shows the lighting bolt and minimalistic text shows neither discharging or charging. Anyone know if this is a known issue or not or do i need to get a replacement?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ez12a

ez12a Member

Pretty sure this is normal. Once the phone reaches 100% the phone begins to trickle charge the battery at which point it'll slowly go down to a set % and then recharge back to 100%.

I know portable Macs do this by design.

3. shaddyyy

Oh ok, thanks. Because all the phone i had this is the first time i've seen this happen.

4. rezeew

rezeew Well-Known Member

My Dinc did the same thing too. It'd run down (to 90% I think) before starting to charge again. Something about it being bad for the battery to keep constantly pinning it at 100%

5. shaddyyy

I had a droid incredible and that never happened to me. Thats why im so surprised that my nexus is doing that.

6. Beatlesfan

Beatlesfan Well-Known Member

The dinc does this. It was a huge pain. You'd unplug the phone, and it'd drop to 80% within 10 minutes. Bump charging is the only way to get a full charge.

7. rezeew

rezeew Well-Known Member

Sounds like you never noticed - which is good I guess, means it wasn't negatively impacting your use - but all Dincs do/did it. It caused a minor forums uproar when the phone was brand new and gave birth to the "bump" charging thing.

Bump Charging: What it is and how to do it | Android Central

8. res

res Newbie

I also had an Incredible and my phone didn't do this and its something I definitely would have noticed. I also didn't have any of the other problems others were complaining about on the forums.

I loved my incredible and had 0 issues with it.. minus the shattered screen after dropping it down the stairs Haha

res

9. WoodrowB

WoodrowB Newbie

My Nexus One has done this forever. I assume it is by design.

10. jackdubl

jackdubl Android Expert

I thought most phones did this.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews