1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Battery suddenly drains EVO 4G

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kryptonyt, Nov 14, 2011.

1. kryptonyt

kryptonyt Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2011
    My battery stand-by, plus phone and text life has been amazing! From Friday morning until late Sunday night the indicator was green. I plugged into AC and charged over night to full charge. No phone use all day until 4PM. When I went to make a call there was a red indicator and it said plug in phone soon or immediately.
    I was told to never allow the phone battery to run down completely. Not sure if that has to do with the phone or it being rooted???
    Anyway, I rn out to the car, plugged it into the car charger, sat with it for 10 mins or so and when I unplugged to go back into the store I was at it said 12% charge left charge phone soon. I turned off the phone completely and now have it charging from the off position.

I did check while it was on the car charger to see if I left the wifi on ( no ) but did notice that 4G was on and don't remember turning it on and in fact was told to leave it off with the rooted phone. Can it be that the 4G enabled cause this outrageous drain? The onl other thing that I noticed was two "network" button checked that I never noticed before.

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    *moved to EVO 4G forum*

andygu3 and kryptonyt like this.
  3. kryptonyt

Aug 3, 2011
    Thanks Luna, Didn't realize that the battery question would be phone specific. But as you may have noticed I posted another question in the lounge thinking that it was kinda a generic question. If you will please move that one too. I'll be sure to post all my EVO questions in the EVO forum.

Thanks again!

lunatic59 likes this.
  4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    This should really belong in the root forum seeing how your rooted(if we wanna get technical ;)).

Are you on the stock ROM? If not, which one are you using?

Stock kernel? Once again, if not which one?

Theres no reason you can't use 4G while being rooted, but it is a giant battery hog and that very well could be causing your battery drain issues.

If you are still using the stock ROM and really want some better battery life I would look into getting something a bit lighter such as MikG or even AOSP. Installing some custom kernels along with SetCPU can REALLY help with battery life as well.

Come check us out in the All Things Root section sometime!

andygu3 likes this.
  5. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
    Moved to the 'All Things Root' section

Rxpert83 likes this.
  6. mikem0269

mikem0269 Android Expert
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Male
    Illinois
    The 4g will add to battery drain and if its on and you dont have a 4g sig it will realy drain it. Mikg2.60 is awsome with the battery life.
    I would recomend this rom as a first flash and its my daily.
    I use it as mik has it set up no set cpu and stock kernel.
    Tahe a look at my battery today so far with average use for me,

Attached Files:

7. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    To answer your question, yes, if 4G was enabled, it will eat your battery alive. Make sure it's off if you're not actively using it.

8. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

Feb 24, 2010
    Male
    ET
    SC
    Hey Kryp!

looks like the guys got you covered! hope you are doing well!

9. kryptonyt

Aug 3, 2011
    Sorry it has taken so long to get back to this issue and your questions for trying to help me.

The problem did not repeat itself after a full charge with the phone turned off. After turning the phone back on and changing the 4G setting to the off position and making sure that the other well known drains were turned off; I left on a trip. Since the problem was gone I didn't check back in here to close the subject. Once again I am sorry about that and maybe there is still something to learn about what caused this to happen.

Two of your questions:
    Are you on the stock ROM? If not, which one are you using?

No. Not stock ROM. I'll have to go back to my first thread on this great forum and see what was recommended to me. I followed the advice of those members who really understand how to make this EVO work better than it did out of the box. The change absolutely effected the efficiency of the battery. I went from charging it twice a day to charging it every two or three days.

( I think that I have been automatically signed out of the forum so I'm going to attempt to post this with a sign back in and then look up the ROM question and edit this post.

Stock kernel? Once again, if not which one?

Not sure.

10. kryptonyt

Aug 3, 2011
    I'm checking mine now after the phone has been "on" but not charged for 36 hours or so.

And this is typical for me: since i do not check this battery feature very often i can't seem to find it where i thought it would be. Will find it and report back.

11. kryptonyt

Aug 3, 2011
    From my first post here; this is the ROM that i used: 4.24.651.1 Odexed

Still not sure about the kernel.

i'm pretty sure i was told not to use 4G. It may have something to do the way the phone was set up to work on networks other than sprint. i don't know that for sure but i was led to believe that less is better...just pay your bill and don't talk about the details of your account.

Someday i may have a way of checking my phones performance against another EVO; a side by side drag race so to speak. Otherwise all i know is that every thing seems to work and that makes me satisfied to the point of keeping the 4G off.

Once again most everyone here on androidforums.com has been as helpful as anyone could want.

Thanks for jumping in to help!

Granite1 and dustwun77 like this.
  12. kryptonyt

Aug 3, 2011
    Yep Dustwun, As always; this is the place for Droiders to come for help!

Have a great holiday(s)!

13. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

Feb 24, 2010
    Male
    ET
    SC
    Same to you, Kryp!

14. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA
    What's up Krypt!

I'm glad to see you back on the forums! :)
    36 hours is awesome battery time for our phones, its working properly. ;)
    To find your battery info go to Menu / settings / about phone (very bottom) / battery click around in this menu there's a few screens you can check out that will show what has been using the battery.
    Any questions you know where to come! Happy Holidays ! :D

15. kryptonyt

Aug 3, 2011
    Hey Granite,

It's always good to be back here among friends!

Following your instructions i get to a screen that looks a little different than screen than the one posted. It seems similar but different. Is there a way that i can take a screen shot ot the battery use and upload it here?
    Mine says: 19h 51m25s on battery. The battery indicator looks completely full green:
    wifi 19%
    Android System 20%
    Dialer 20%
    Call standby 17%
    Phone idel 16%
    Display 6%
    Maps 2%

The 36 Hr's is great but when that 4G was checked the battery lasted about 8 hours.

And i still think the reason the guy i got the phone from told me not to use 4G is because it just doesn't seem to work at all in that i can not make a phone call when 4G is checked unless i'm in a wifi zone ( like home ) when i leave wifi checked as you can see in the above battery use break down.

Tags: