• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

battery - tell me what im doing wrong!

i came to this forum to find out what was up with the battery so cheers! glad isnt just me and ill be patient for the next week or 2, as these first 2 days (with 8ish hours uptime) scared me.
not used to having a li-ion battery that takes a bit to get to peak capacity it was unexpected.

im on my 3rd day and currently running it till out of charge then charging till fun, switch on again, is this the best thing to do?

Upvote 0
had my first charge yesterday at 7, only let it charge for 2 hours because i just couldn't wait any longer anymore.

Phone has 15% left atm and shows 16 hours uptime. And that is with the screenbrightness at 15-20% bluetooth, 3G and gps off. But with wifi on for a couple of hours, abit of replica island and that racing game, internet, email, sorting contacts, and some periods of alot of texting (about 202 send & recieved)

I'm happy :)!

edit: sorry 16h 42min uptime

Upvote 0
I posted something similar in another thread yesterday, but today I'll say this again, after a few days I'm finding the battery life to be acceptable. The last two days I got to work with about 80% left, and after a full day of work it's at 55% - that's with push email on constantly, the odd email checked and sent, and a couple of short phonecalls. Heavy web browsing still eats the battery life, but it's good to know that with 'normal' everyday work use as a phone (and push mail for exchange) it comfortably lasts 24 hours.

Upvote 0
This might be a stupid question (I haven't got the phone yet), but can you use it whilst it's plugged in, if you're at your desk or whatever, and does this help with the battery issue?

The phone sounds great, but what's the point of having a phone that does all these great things if you're having to worry about the battery all the time? I know it's an issue with similar phones, not just this one, but isn't it annoying?

Upvote 0
You can used plugged in, but remember li-on batteries have a fixed charge life. Every charge, whether for a full charge or only a few min, reduces the charge life by 1.

Also, keeping devices on charge all the time knackers the battery. My Dad kills phone batteries charging them all the time and never turning them on, or using very little. And he wonders why after 4 months his new phone wont stay on for more than 10 minutes.

Upvote 0
well... day 4 and its been on 24hrs and @ 65%
with bluetooth on constantly
3g on for about 2hrs combined, wifi for about 3hrs
downloading some apps,
playing with google skymap last night
sorting out ui and generally playing
plus acually making a call for 40min :eek:

i was pretty amazed since this jump in battery life has happened after just the 3 charge and only thing i did was turn off live wallpaper.

Upvote 0
I'm now finding the battery life to be absolutely fine. I have a live wallpaper, push email on all the time, screen brightness on a medium level and I'm finding that when I go to bed it's usually at 30-40% ish when it has been off charge since 8.30AM.

I don't play with it for hours but then if you do you can't expect too much from the battery.

Upvote 0
Well to be fair, if you buy a phone like this you should know the battery won't be lasting for days on end.
It's got a beautiful huge display which demands a certain amount of power. And it has lots of features that require power aswell.

However considering everything it can do and how much I personally use it (quite alot) the battery is amazing.

I can understand that if you come from an old (not a smart)phone with a small display and a hardware keyboard you'll think the battery isn't good. I used to have a samsung U600 and it lasted longer than the desire. However, I only used it for texting and a few calls. I use the desire for texting, email, phone calls, facebook, twitter, games, calendar, internet, and so on! So considering the possibilities the battery is very good.

Upvote 0
black screen wallpaper
No auto wifi connection
3g is always on though
auto check emails every hour
brightness down to a 3rd or bit less
dont run friends streaming all day
some widgets will kill it. Obviously ones that update all the time.
Set weather to update every 6 hours.

thats given me more on only my second day in. Should improve after about a week of charging too. Thats the way these new batteries need some conditioning before they are at peak.

Upvote 0
I'm a little puzzled about this 2g/3g thing. I have a HTC Desire on Orange in the UK, and I don't see an option to toggle 2g/3g or even data using the power widget. I had to google for it, because there's no documentation/help, but it seems that the options on the power widget are: wifi bluetooth gps auto sync brightness Some people say to use "2g only" but when I go: Menu/settings/wireless & networks I don't see a 2g/3g option. There's "mobile network" which turns on/off data, but it's really all or nothing. How are you guys doing this?

Upvote 0
Could you please tell me how to get to that settings page and what the option is called?

Press menu/settings/wireless&networks/mobile networks/network mode then 3 choices WCDMA only (3g) GSM only and both...

Hope this helps

Edit:- The only thing i would say on this topic is the specs say you'll get better standby time using WCDMA and better Talk time using GSM but very marginal.

Power & Battery1
Battery type: Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery
Capacity: 1400 mAh

Talk time:
WCDMA: Up to 390 mins
GSM: Up to 400 mins

Standby time:
WCDMA: Up to 360 hours
GSM: Up to 340 hours

Upvote 0
Press menu/settings/wireless&networks/mobile networks/network mode then 3 choices WCDMA only (3g) GSM only and both...

I didn't realise WCDMA meant 3G - from what i've been reading it looks like some people get 3G as a menu choice. I'll try fiddling with that option and see if it helps.

I want to turn off 3g when I'm not using it because I understand from what I've read that if it's on and you're not using it it wastes power looking for a signal, especially if you're somewhere with bad 3g reception, like where I work (in..uh..central London, oddly). I'm going to be using wifi when i'm at home, so i'll only use non-wifi when I'm out and about, and because when I'm out and about I won't have access to a charger I'll want to save power. Having a slower data connection seems a reasonable compromise. The figures you've provided are interesting, but I've resigned myself to charging every day, so a few tens of hours out of hundreds of hours on standby doesn't really tie in with my usage (my phone wlil be fiddled with quite a lot!)

Does this make sense?

Upvote 0
I didn't realise WCDMA meant 3G - from what i've been reading it looks like some people get 3G as a menu choice. I'll try fiddling with that option and see if it helps.

I want to turn off 3g when I'm not using it because I understand from what I've read that if it's on and you're not using it it wastes power looking for a signal, especially if you're somewhere with bad 3g reception, like where I work (in..uh..central London, oddly). I'm going to be using wifi when i'm at home, so i'll only use non-wifi when I'm out and about, and because when I'm out and about I won't have access to a charger I'll want to save power. Having a slower data connection seems a reasonable compromise. The figures you've provided are interesting, but I've resigned myself to charging every day, so a few tens of hours out of hundreds of hours on standby doesn't really tie in with my usage (my phone wlil be fiddled with quite a lot!)

Does this make sense?

Definitely makes sense was thinking of this myself (switching to 3G or Wifi manually when surfing etc) as i have the same issue at work switching between 3G/2G quite a lot so might try this myself, the only downside is if you have a lot syncing eg. mail and a lot of apps over 2G these would take longer (data wise depending on update rate or push e-mail) to sync drawing more power.

Looks like a trade off worth investigating let me know what you find thanks...

Edit: found this app for switching called Network http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/de.mangelow.network/Network

Upvote 0
Just a quick question - what does "Enable always-on mobile data" option mean?

Also, does the "Mobile" power widget correspond to this option?

edit: Does the "Sync" button on the power widget correspond to Auto-Update? If I have auto-update on, will this overide the manual update settings I have chosen for programs, or does turning it off simply mean apps will not update?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I posted something similar in another thread yesterday, but today I'll say this again, after a few days I'm finding the battery life to be acceptable. The last two days I got to work with about 80% left, and after a full day of work it's at 55% - that's with push email on constantly, the odd email checked and sent, and a couple of short phonecalls. Heavy web browsing still eats the battery life, but it's good to know that with 'normal' everyday work use as a phone (and push mail for exchange) it comfortably lasts 24 hours.

Hi can I ask how you find push exchange? What version of exchange are you using at work ? Can you pls test something for me. Please send yourself 10 emails and then on your phone delete every other email and read the others (do this quickly on the phone). When you look on your pc at work has it sync'd all these back correctly or has it left some of the read items as unread etc ? I am having lots of problems getting it to sync properly (used lots of other phones WM and never had this prob before).

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Hi there, Noob here with this phone (got it Thursday), but have android 1.6 on my Archos 5, but I was wondering that as well, dont want to un-tick until I know for defo

After looking around for a bit I *think* that this option basically stops your phone using 2G/3G or variants, and will just become a normal phone.

So basically you can make calls, texts, etc. but you can't use any "data" features. There is a widget you can add called "Mobile" which you can toggle on/off. Just realised I've been using this all along :p.

I would still like to know if Auto-Sync overides the manually set app updates or if it simply means that the app updates will update on their set timescale.

Upvote 0
After looking around for a bit I *think* that this option basically stops your phone using 2G/3G or variants, and will just become a normal phone.

So basically you can make calls, texts, etc. but you can't use any "data" features. There is a widget you can add called "Mobile" which you can toggle on/off. Just realised I've been using this all along :p.

if thats what it is then I assume that will be very very handy when you go abroad on holiday to make sure you dont have sky-high mobile data charges

anyone know exactly what this widget is called, search mobile on the market and you will be there forever looking lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones