• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Temp with Wireless Tethering

I see that there's a discussion of this for the Droid, but I want to get some more opinions for my phone specifically.

The free wireless I was stealing definitely just put up a firewall, so I countered fate with my Jesus phone's magical Wireless Tether. Almost immediately though, the temperature rose to 42C or about 105F. It worries me mostly because I am poor/cheap and will likely be using my phone for the internet until some unsuspecting tenant unlocks or forgets to lock their wireless. I just really, really don't want to pay for wireless when I'm living in an apartment complex in the middle of one of the most "connected" cities--that should mean free internet by proxy.

Anyway, I'm also overclocking at 528 and I've a feeling that's only adding to the issue. (Although, apparently you can overclock at 1200...which would be nice if anyone can assist me there.)

To sum it up:
Will my phone suffer or break from being this hot?
Does the overclocking worsen it? (Aside: how can I overclock to 1200? I use SetCPU)
Is there anything I can do to keep it from getting so hot other than freezing ice every day to put it on as necessary? Because that's looking like my best option.

I note your concern and can tell you i've experienced the same thing. I have done several hours of straight downloads and although the phone/battery does get hot, I have not noticed and decreased life or other issues because of it.

The reason your battery is getting hot is because of the high discharge rate. Wi-Fi tether is a high energy usage application and this creates the heat.

If I recall correctly the max temp on a lithium battery is 60c or 140F. To be safe I would shut the phone off if it ever got to 115 or higher. After this temp possibility off explosion or fire increase greatly.

Hope this helps!
Nic

Upvote 0
If I recall correctly the max temp on a lithium battery is 60c or 140F. To be safe I would shut the phone off if it ever got to 115 or higher. After this temp possibility off explosion or fire increase greatly.

Hope this helps!
Nic

you need to check the batteries on my helicopter after a flight... 140F is the norm (it's a Lithium Polymer battery pack)

the battery getting warm is normal... of course if your wanting to use less battery power, use PDAnet and usb tether the phone and your computer..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones