• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery temperature

gie62001

Android Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2009
UK
hi to all,
wanted to ask or just share what i observer, my battery is running quite warm according to battery information (type in your htc dialer screen *#*#4636#*#* battery information = 35C degrees) compared to my samsung galaxy (3.2c degress). as you see the difference is huge so dont know what should be considered normal.
so could you check your battery temperatures and let me know
thanx
btw both temperatures taken with everything off: no widgets, 3g off, background, wifi, bluetooth, sync, gps, a-gps. which shows that not the processes are keeping the battery warm.

nope nothing is wrong in my readings :) just checking now my samsung galaxy is showing 2.7C degrees ( centegrates not farengeights) so it is above 0 trust me :) with 3g on.
htc desire:
Imageshack - img1678pl.jpg

samsung galaxy:
Imageshack - img1677m.jpg

so can anyone else comment on this or people with other android phones could take their readings? would be interesting to know what temperatures orthers get as i think cooler battery can last longer

Upvote 0
hmm i don't keep it in the fridge, lol. but i see you don't believe what you see. it either due to processor being around 500 mhz or RAM or 192MB or all some other things. or samsung managed to keep it somehow that cool.
if you don't believe in screenshots you can ask guys at samsung galaxy thread and i believe their reading will be similar (up to 10C degrees (centegrate))

Upvote 0
as i said it might be due to processor being on much lower frequency and little of ram and smaller screen and maybe some kind of other matterials that they put in to make sure the battery stays cool (which should enable for longer battery life - which in galaxy case is completelly useless and barelly last a day with all off and various tweeks and tricks :) ) so so far im very happy with battery life of HTC desire and i know it will improve after a week or so usage
however this thread was open as i was concerned with high temperature as i've been used to see 1.5 - 4C degrees (centegrate) temperature on my galaxy
but i think the temperature could be brought down on desire as well if we used SetCPU on rooted desire to set cpu on lower frequencies which should keep the battery cooler as not much processing power would be involved
will root my desire one day and will come back to this thread with new readings :) but for now keep posting your temperatures so we can see some kind of consistency and maybe we can help each other if we see some odd readings

Upvote 0
In the Galaxy they are probably measuring the temperature diference related to the "average" or "standard" value, or if that phone is fancy enough it may be showing the additional temperature with respect to the room temperature.

It can't be 2 - 5 degrees above 0, regardless the CPU speed or memory, just take the battery off the phone and see if it feels like a piece of ice, if that is the case then I will buy a few of those batteries to keep my beer cold in the cooler. :)

Upvote 0
temperature as i've been used to see 1.5 - 4C degrees (centegrate) temperature on my galaxy
but i think the temperature could be brought down on desire as well if we used SetCPU on rooted desire to set cpu on lower frequencies which should keep the battery cooler as not much processing power would be involved
For starters, SetCPU isn't really necessary as the Desire adjusts the processor speed from as low as 200MHz when idle, up to its full speed which is 998MHz. The only reason to use SetCPU would be to drop the top speed down permanently for battery saving, which I think defeats the purpose of having a fast processor and a smartphone.
:D
As for temps, I would say the Galaxy is not reading the actual battery temp as that would be impossible, unless it's in a cold environment all the time. The only way it could be so far below typical room ambient temps is if it had active cooling, like a large heatsink and fan, which it doesn't. I think either the software is reporting with the wrong decimal place as suggested earlier, or the sensor is just completely wonky. All batteries produce heat when they are charging/discharging, it's simple physics, so it's not possible for the battery temp to be a few degrees above zero inside the Galaxy.

My Desire reports ~25C when idle and ~35C when heavily used in a room at typical temps of about 20C. When I'm outside on a cold day (-10C outside) and it's in my jacket pocket, it may read ~10C. During a warm day (30C outside) it may read ~40C at idle. I would say my Desire is reporting fairly accurately. The Galaxy clearly is not reporting correctly, for whatever reason.
:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
As for temps, I would say the Galaxy is not reading the actual battery temp as that would be impossible, unless it's in a cold environment all the time. The only way it could be so far below typical room ambient temps is if it had active cooling, like a large heatsink and fan, which it doesn't. I think either the software is reporting with the wrong decimal place as suggested earlier, or the sensor is just completely wonky. All batteries produce heat when they are charging/discharging, it's simple physics, so it's not possible for the battery temp to be a few degrees above zero inside the Galaxy.

Even a H/S + Fan won't get anything below ambient. Ye cannae break the laws of physics Jim.

Upvote 0
Oh wow I wasn't thinking straight with that one...maybe I was sleepy.
:eek:
I know a heatsink can't go below ambient air temps. That wasn't my point...my point was that the temps reported were impossible.
:D

I know, sorry. Was having a hard day at work (doing some thermal testing, as it happens!), and needed a little a little facetiousness to lighten the mood.
It's quite obvious that the Galaxy is reporting incorrectly, why some people believe it amazes me.
And why I'm commenting on a thread that's nearly a year old is also quite puzzling. I'll get me coat.

Upvote 0
I know, sorry. Was having a hard day at work (doing some thermal testing, as it happens!), and needed a little a little facetiousness to lighten the mood.
It's quite obvious that the Galaxy is reporting incorrectly, why some people believe it amazes me.
And why I'm commenting on a thread that's nearly a year old is also quite puzzling. I'll get me coat.
Ha, I didn't even realize it was that old...the thread was revived I guess. I also didn't use Android until July 2010 and joined these forums some time later, so I missed a lot of older threads. I have to say though, I've never been a fan of Samsung phones - too many problems and failures. I like their TVs though. Go figure.

Upvote 0
Ha, I didn't even realize it was that old...the thread was revived I guess. I also didn't use Android until July 2010 and joined these forums some time later, so I missed a lot of older threads. I have to say though, I've never been a fan of Samsung phones - too many problems and failures. I like their TVs though. Go figure.

I agree, I hate their phones....but without fail, they always have the best picture on the tv's when I go to an electronic store.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones