1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Battery Usage, Cell Standby, & Network mode ?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mdawdy, Jan 19, 2014.

1. mdawdy

mdawdy Member
    None

Dec 12, 2013
    Retired
    Canada
    I would like to understand whatever relationships exist among Battery Usage, Cell Standby, & Network Mode.

I am seeing that Cell Standby accounts for 40% of my battery usage - with GPD, Wi-Fi, and mobile data all turned off.

Under network mode i have 4 choices ...
    1. GSM/HPSA/LTE auto connect
    2. GSM/HPSA auto connect
    3. GSM only
    4. HPSA only
    Will my choice among these affect my battery usage?

What is the difference if i do not choose an auto connect option? I am guessing that auto connect simply means that the phone will choose the best option, so auto connect is not necessary when there is just one choice.

I do not need the extra hi speed of LTE. Rogers coverage in Canada is slightly better with GSM/EDGE than with HPSA. So i am considering setting my phone to GSM only.

Here is the coverage map ...
    Rogers Mobile Internet | Coverage Map

What do ya think?

Samsung Galaxy S4 mini SGH-I257M, 4.2.2

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    That's 40% of the amount being used, not 40% of the capacity of the battery.

Yes. If you make the wrong choice, the phone will constantly be hunting for a network connection, and that eats a lot of battery.

GSM is for phone calls (unless you like super-low-speed data). HSPA is for data. So is LTE. The best choice is usually the one the phone came with.

GSM/EDGE is VERY slow. Unless you're limiting yourself to a weather widget and email, you won't be very happy.

Turn your screen down. Keep the screen timeout short. 30 seconds is all anyone needs - i5 seconds is usually enough.

Turn data off unless you're using it. (The Data ON-OFF widget makes it easy.) Keep any radios you're not using off - Bluetooth, GPS, Wifi.

Condition your battery when you get it. Charge it when it falls to 50%.

Not using LTE for the few seconds you're going to need it isn't going to make much difference.

Coverage maps are drawn by marketing departments - they have very little to do with coverage.

4 Days on a battery with a Note 3 doing it my way. What do YOU think?

3. mdawdy

mdawdy Member
    None

Dec 12, 2013
    Retired
    Canada
    Thank you for the helpful info :)

4. mdawdy

mdawdy Member
    None

Dec 12, 2013
    Retired
    Canada
    OK, i set the phone to HPSA Only, turned down the screen brightness, and set the screen timeout to 15 sec's.

What is the reason for charging when it gets down to 50%? I usually wait until it is quite low, occasionally i let it shut itself off.

5. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    These batteries don't like to be completely drained. While there is most likely a safety in the battery that prevents it from being FULLY drained before it shuts down the phone, you still should not do it.

I'd recommend charging the phone every night when you go to bed (or whenever it is that you sleep :) ), whether the phone NEEDS it or not.
    If you do things that drain the battery in less than a day, then try to charge it before the battery runs down enough that the phone shuts itself off. Ultimately it's better for the battery.

6. mdawdy

mdawdy Member
    None

Dec 12, 2013
    Retired
    Canada
    Thank you.

The knowledge and opinions on batteries are many, I understand that batteries are different now than they once were when rechargeable batteries were said to have a "memory". You were supposed to run them down.

A knowledgeable guy on one of these S4 mini forums [i haunt 4 or 5 of them] recommended letting the battery run down until it shuts off, and to do this about once a month. Somehow this is supposed to be good for the battery IHO.

I'll see if i can find the reference and post it back here.

EDIT: looked all over, not finding it.

7. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I have read where it's good to do it once when you first get the phone. It wasn't for the sake of the battery though, but rather for the battery status monitor. That gave it clear 'top' and 'bottom' values, so that it could more accurately tell you how much battery was remaining.
    I don't know if this is true or myth, but doing it once probably can't hurt it.

8. mdawdy

mdawdy Member
    None

Dec 12, 2013
    Retired
    Canada
    I Googled around. There are several versions of the battery calibration instructions with various people professing each. I think my battery is fine and i'll just put myself into "normal mode" here - other things to do.

Thanx again,

Mick

9. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    lol - agreed.
    Personally, I charge a new device WHILE I'm setting it up (who can wait?!) then let it fully charge overnight.
    After that I use it during the day, charge it every night.

mdawdy likes this.