• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help battery use; LG optimus q

lightsleeper23

Android Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2011
Salt Lake City
My battery on my lg optimus q for straight talk drains within hours. Is this because I'm on the internet a lot, or is this a problem?
I do not run live wallpaper, I am synched to one email account, but I try to keep everything possible from running in the background while not using. The only things I let run are the basic android system stuff. I even keep google maps turned off when not using. My wifi, gps, and bluetooth are always off, and my screen brightness is kept very low. I do like playing angry birds and solitaire quite a bit, but when checking battery use these register very low, usually in the 5 percent range.
Internet, or data usage does not seem to be counted at all in the battery use section, so I have no idea how much it uses. Could this be why I am having to charge my battery during the day, as well as overnight?

Welcome to AF :D

Generally any data use will drain the battery faster, if you are browsing using 3G instead of WiFi it will cause battery drain. Games also drain the battery fast.

While looking at the specs of the phone on a few different websites if you are a heavy user then draining the battery in a few hours sounds about right. The phone is reported to have between a 4 and 5 hour talk time, if you are surfing the web for a few hours or playing games for a while I would think that you should see about 4 to 5 hours in your range.

Upvote 0
*moved to LG Optimus Q2 forum*

One of the main reasons why you got so many views with no replies was that you posted a device specific question in the Android Lounge. The lounge is used for general discussion so not only won't users be expecting to answer support questions there, but most won't have any experience with your model so they simply can't answer. People who don't have your model phone can guess if it's a general Android issue, but since every android phone is a little different, the best answers always come from those with the same phone.

I hope someone here will get you straightened out relatively quickly.

Upvote 0
I tried looking to post in a device specific category, but there was none for my phone. It is NOT an lg optimus q2, but an lg optimus q. Is this basically thr same phone? I don't think so, any more than any lg optimus is the same as each other. The q2 has a four inch screen and five megapixel camera and other differences. Mine has 3.2 inch and only 3.4 mega pixels. Since there is not just one category for all optimus phones, I figured they must be different from each other. I posted the model of my phone in the thread title, so I thought people would only view it if they were familiar with that phone or similar. I expected a few views with no reply, but not 59.

With that being said, I would like to thank the people who have replied now, you have been very helpful.

Upvote 0
I was shocked at the battery life as well.

Then I tried the free version of JuiceDefender. It gave me more time.
I upgraded to the Ultimate and got about 1.5 times more.

Regardless, I will be seeking a more powerful battery even if it thickens the depth.
I have more resources now b/c before android was costing me more than twice
what I now pay. I am sticking to Straight Talk! Love it.

Reactions: lightsleeper23
Upvote 0
lightsleeper23: I recently purchased the same phone and have the same issue. My brother warned me when I got a smart phone that I would want to get a car charger right away, it eats battery faster than a "dumb" phone. I do use mine a lot. I try to keep things turned off with advanced task manager but it still goes fast. So I suppose you are not alone and this is normal. I keep chargers nearby whenever I can.

Reactions: lightsleeper23
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones