1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Battery?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by z28forlife, Feb 3, 2011.

1. z28forlife

z28forlife Member

I know on the evo 4g if you leave the phone plugged in for a while after the light turns green it starts to slowly lose its charge. Thats why when you unplug it it goes from 100% to 85-90% in a matter of minutes, because it was actually never at 100%. Does the shift do this as well? I hate having to charge my evo when I go to bed and then unplug it and recharge it again in the morning before I go to work. I wish it would charge to 100% and stay there as long as its plugged in. Please tell me it doesnt have that problem like the evo 4g. Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Everything with a lithium battery has this operation to prevent the batteries catching on fire - literally.

The old battery tech would trickle-charge once at 100% and if you were using it while plugged in, the actual power to run would come from the charging circuit.

The new stuff - including your Evo - charges to 100% and then immediately starts running on battery. When it hits its low point, 92~93% on the Evo, it starts charging again - other devices hit theirs at the 95~96% mark - it's make/model dependent.

If you take your phone off the charger the moment it hits green, assuming a non-damaged phone/battery, it will show 100% and not drop quickly - because it's really at 100%.

If you wait and take it off, it'll show 100%, but really be lower and it takes several minutes for the actual power levels to update.

This gives the appearance of rapid battery drop or failure to charge to full power - but that's not the case. Laptops behave in exactly this same way - except people often buy laptop batteries unnecessarily over this misunderstanding.

If you were to magically be able to graph anything with a lithium battery charging, it would kinda trace out what looks like a rollercoaster - up to 100%, down to the low set-point, up to 100%, down to the low set-point and so forth.

How fast it drops on the charger depends on what processes you may have running and updating overnight - that will vary for each user.

As for the Shift specifically - it's going to behave the same way by definition, but it's not as noticeable. The components in the Shift are just way more energy efficient than the Evo - and it's sporting the Evo's battery. So - it's already going to rollercoaster way less than the Evo - and I suspect that they've raised the set-point to 95% or above - because with this silicon, they can.

Hope I made a lick of sense somewhere there.

3. zombiepete

zombiepete Newbie

The battery on this thing is leaps and bounds better than the OG EVO. You won't notice.

4. Tockets

Tockets Newbie

I concur, I was worried coming off a palm pre and hearing about the Evo and droid phones in general.

I have not put my phone down (It's still new) and I'm going to bed with like 40% battery life. I am a heavy user (truly heavy, 200 emails a day, 150 text a day, hour or more of phone calls, light gaming)

No idea why my battery seems to be so amazing but I hope it's not a fluke. I did follow the evo guide for battery life and I am making good use of my radios.

5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

It's really an efficient little beast.

On a lark, I decided to leave GPS, wifi and 3G constantly on just to make WifelyMon's life easier. Background data, auto-sync, always on, calls going to Calendar with CallTrack and syncing to the cloud, Twitter updates every hour, multiple email accounts updating every 2 hours - all of the stuff I'd never do on my Evo.

She's been getting full, hard-use workdays and coming home with power to spare - maybe about 40%. So - the battery tricks work and it's not lasting as long as yours - but if you just want convenience, this phone rocks.

Tockets likes this.
  6. Tockets

Tockets Newbie

Thanks EarlyMon, I havent had a chance to really run it through it's paces. I'm going to leave everything on tomorrow minus 4g (Don't get the best coverage) and give it a go.

I know I sound like a broken record, but the battery life really is amazing.

7. z28forlife

z28forlife Member

I'm still in my 30 day free trial and I'm waiting to here what's going to be coming out on Feb 7th. If its nothing really that great I might switch to the shift. I don't really use the front camera or the kickstand, the large screen is really nice though. It's such a toss up, I can't make up my mind...uuugggg!

8. Kenneth196

Kenneth196 Member

I'm getting an Evo Shift soon & was wondering, can someone link me to the Evo battery thread you guys are talking about?

HTC EVO Shift 4G Forum

The HTC EVO Shift 4G release date was January 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.6" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

January 2011
Release Date
Reviews