• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
just wondering, my husband has the droid eris, which he washed a couple days ago. when he got his new phone and the "return package" the envelope said to place the phone, but leave the battery, charger and any other accessories out of the envelope. we were talking about selling the battery on ebay, but he noticed that there was a red dot on the edge of the battery. knowing that most phones have a patch of something or other inside the battery compartment that changes color when you get it wet, so you cant fraudulently return it under warranty, do batteries do this as well? or does the battery always have this red dot on the edge?
get-attachment1.jpg

i would never sell a waterlogged battery on ebay, if it didnt work. if its dried out and works, i see no problem in selling it on ebay, as long as i disclose that the phone was washed in the item description. as far as testing it to see if it works, he placed it in the broken phone and it turned on, but he couldnt press anything on the screen as the phone itself didnt work.

Upvote 0
i would never sell a waterlogged battery on ebay, if it didnt work. if its dried out and works, i see no problem in selling it on ebay, as long as i disclose that the phone was washed in the item description. as far as testing it to see if it works, he placed it in the broken phone and it turned on, but he couldnt press anything on the screen as the phone itself didnt work.

You should bring it in to a Verizon store and ask if the battery looks damaged. It's just that for the money you will get from a used battery on ebay you might as well keep a second spare one. Throw it in a glove compartment for those times when you need it.

Upvote 0
I am 99.5% sure that when that dot turns completely red it is just an indicator to the cell phone company that the phone was submerged in water just as the phones have.

You could sell it "as is" with no warranty on eBay. I'm sure if you start it cheap enough someone would buy it. But I wouldn't expect to get a large sum for it.

Just be honest and provide full disclosure.

Upvote 0
ive had this issue before...as far as warranty goes..it May* be able to be replaced by your provider,depending on what kind of insurance you have.if you have extended or no warranty,im pretty sure they wont replace it.but in the case you have the ASURION,or the next step up from extended warranty(dont exactly remember the plan names)..you Should* be able to just call verizon and tell them exactly what happened,and in any case they'll tell you if you can have it replaced or not.as far as selling it goes..i agree with previous posters,if it functions,then i personally would just keep it as a spare....the price youd pay to even ship it to someone would probably be better off investing in a new one...:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones