1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Battle of the budget tablets, looking for thoughts on a few specific models

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by TomNotThatTom, Apr 17, 2012.

1. TomNotThatTom

TomNotThatTom Lurker

I'm looking for a low-end tablet to take with me to a convention for editing and uploading photos, as well as a basic computing device for beyond that. Under $300 is where I'm looking to stay, and I prefer the 7-9" screen size.

Some of the options I've been looking at are the Archos G80 9, the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, and the Kindle Fire. I've also been considering the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, which you can find for around $270 refurbished.

Pretty sure I'm not really interested in the Fire due to its lack of Honycomb / ICS, but I'm not all too familiar with the the power of the chipsets inside the other tabs and how they compare with each other.

As far as I know, the G80 uses an unspecified 1 Ghz dual core Cortex A8. Its the oldest of the bunch, but, since I work at Staples, I can get it for around $160, pretty tempting.

Then there's the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, which runs a 1.2 Ghz Exynos chip. How much performance increase are we talking about from that and double the RAM from 512 MB to 1 GB? Enough to justify a $110 price hike?

And then, I believe I read that the 'Tab 2 7.0 is running a Tegra 2. Isn't that similar in performance to the G80's hardware? Is it even worth considering when it would be almost as expensive as a refurb Tab Plus?

Thanks for any advice you can give, I'm new to Android tablets so I don't have a strong grip around the intimate details yet!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Well, the Exynos is considered by some to be the best chipset available for any Android device, benchmark tests between a Galaxy S2 with 1.2Ghz Exynos shows superior or similar performance to a 1.5Ghz Qualcomm chip.

The double RAM does not necessarily means increased performance, it depends on how your device is setup. The RAM only means you have the ability to run more active applications at the same time without Android having to manage RAM. If your setup calls for using a lot less than 512mb, it shouldn't matter. However I do say just go for 1GB.

All in all, I say for for the Plus. However since you said its refurbished, you may want to check the Tab 2. Nothing against the Archos, but I'm a believer of "You get what you pay for". Go cheap, you'll probably have more problems.

3. TomNotThatTom

TomNotThatTom Lurker

Wow...the Exynos must have some serious balls then...may have to jump on the Tab Plus...it must totally smoke a Tegra 2 performance-wise...

Is it the GPU that makes it so much faster? I dunno how the CPU's compare spec for spec but there's obviously more than clockspeed going on here XD

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Its the entire chipset architecture, not just GPU. And well, no two CPU's perform the same way even with the same clockspeed anyway (same goes for PC CPUs).