• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root BB 0.2 Froyo ... "Epic"? ... Really?

Give the guy a break. This is probably his first ROM that actually had some problems but only a few users are experiencing this. I'm not running his ROM at this current moment, but I'm sure he worked really hard on it. Its the effort that counts, and Pete will bring us the real cake once he figures out whats wrong.

I mean, it's Pete. Hes been working for us ever since 2.0. And the best part? Hes doing it for free so we have NO right whatsoever to complain.

I don't think anyone is complaining. I am amazingly appreciative of what Pete and all the other Devs out there are doing, and so is mostly everyone else on this forum. We are just trying to help them out so they can develop better products.

Upvote 0
I haven't had any problems with 0.2 at all. I can't tell much difference between 0.1 and 0.2 however. I get better quadrant scores, but that was it. I think the biggest issue is the interpretation of "epic." When I think epic I think, "Wow, this is going to be something new or different that will set this ROM apart." I don't know much about code or what goes into the dev process, though. Pete and other devs may be able to see something that us regular folk can't?

Upvote 0
Am I missing something?

I'm installing now, but I was expecting something "epic" in the changelog. Just my opinion of course. Or maybe my definition of "epic" is a little different. I ain't mad ... just sayin'. :)

What says you?

Agreed. If he would have said "Cool things coming in v.2" I wouldnt have thought anything of it. But epic is a over statement. The first Froyo Leak was epic BB .2 is not.

Upvote 0
I did an install over my functioning FR57 build. No issues yet, no reboots, everything seems to work. (Wifi, Maps, Market, 3G, Flash)

Still I wouldn't call it Epic, the best thing that this has that I didn't already have working is the Google DNS, of which I am a fan, but having to retweak, re-install and re-remove apps was a little frustrating since I had it all setup fine.

I see no performance boost over my first Froyo Rom as far as Linpack and Quadrant are concerned.

I don't want Apps2SD by default. (I've fixed this now) I dunno I guess for my use maybe vanilla is a better starting point, I seem to have no issues tweaking things to my liking from that base. I feel like I have to do twice the work now. (remove stuff and add stuff back)

I waited on v.01 and now it looks like I'll be updating to .03 or whatever is next almost immediately anyway. I don't mind tweaking and setting up ROMs, but I don't want to do it every day.

Upvote 0
My phone shut itself down last night after I installed 0.2 and it's been behaving ever since. My only curiosity is that every time I try to populate a folder on my home screen, it empties itself when I come out of standby! I think that's a Froyo issue, though, since it also happened on 0.1. I loaded P3's 1GHz kernel but SetCPU only has me peaked at 800MHz. No complaints there though. Now if Pete could just fix this folder thing...

Upvote 0
Am I missing something?

I'm installing now, but I was expecting something "epic" in the changelog. Just my opinion of course. Or maybe my definition of "epic" is a little different. I ain't mad ... just sayin'. :)

What says you?
I tend to agree. I'm going to guess that "epic" was either referring to the fact that this ROM could be installed over other FRF57 ROMs without wiping data, or because of all the built-in functionality with scripts and embedded apps.

I certainly appreciate all of Pete's work regardless, and although I'm choosing to skip the v0.2 ROM, I still run v0.1 which I have found to be the most solid of froyo ROMs I have flashed thus far.

Upvote 0
My phone shut itself down last night after I installed 0.2 and it's been behaving ever since. My only curiosity is that every time I try to populate a folder on my home screen, it empties itself when I come out of standby! I think that's a Froyo issue, though, since it also happened on 0.1. I loaded P3's 1GHz kernel but SetCPU only has me peaked at 800MHz. No complaints there though. Now if Pete could just fix this folder thing...

For a Chief you sure do have issues...... LoL

Upvote 0
Fastest ROM I've used so far...

Linpack scores hover around 17

Quadrant: 1536
303k3m9.png

No lag at all flipping through screens, opening apps, rotating the screen... I'm loving it! (v0.2.1 w/P3's 1100 LV Kernel)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones