• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

BB bold to a N1

Erikclaw

May 26, 2010
Well I am seriously thinking about dumping my bold for the N1. I have been researching hear and was wondering is there anything I should look for or do? It will be with AT&T. I know the new update is coming out and should that help with some of the 3g and batter problems that I have read?

Thanks

I have an ATT version, absolutely no 3G issues. I don't know what you mean by a "batter" issue.

Edit: Just figured out that "batter" is a typo for battery - I didn't mean to sound like a jerk, I had just woken up and I don't operate too well for at least an hour after waking up, haha.

Battery lasts just as well as it should considering all that the phone can do. If you were to put the battery into any other less feature rich phone it would probably last 4 days.

Upvote 0
Battery life is about as normal as any smartphone, but they're still working hard on improving it. Froyo boasts a huge performance increase but is also supposed to optimize battery life a bit. I think.

But ofc the battery will mainly just drain more when you use it more, the magnificent screen is the main battery drain.

Upvote 0
i went from a bold 9700 to nexus one last week. i love it! my only complaint so far is the lack of phone profiles (loud, normal, silent, vibrate). i assume there's an app that will add that kind of functionality but i havent gotten around to looking for one yet. otherwise, ive been more than happy with it. much faster, way better screen, typing is a breeze (i had concerns there prior to switching). im not going back to blackberry, thats for sure.

Upvote 0
I have an ATT version, absolutely no 3G issues. I don't know what you mean by a "batter" issue.

Edit: Just figured out that "batter" is a typo for battery - I didn't mean to sound like a jerk, I had just woken up and I don't operate too well for at least an hour after waking up, haha.

Battery lasts just as well as it should considering all that the phone can do. If you were to put the battery into any other less feature rich phone it would probably last 4 days.
Yeah sorry, that was suppose to be battery.

Upvote 0
Battery life is about as normal as any smartphone, but they're still working hard on improving it. Froyo boasts a huge performance increase but is also supposed to optimize battery life a bit. I think.

But ofc the battery will mainly just drain more when you use it more, the magnificent screen is the main battery drain.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. This phone needs a lot of juice to run everything.

Upvote 0
i went from a bold 9700 to nexus one last week. i love it! my only complaint so far is the lack of phone profiles (loud, normal, silent, vibrate). i assume there's an app that will add that kind of functionality but i havent gotten around to looking for one yet. otherwise, ive been more than happy with it. much faster, way better screen, typing is a breeze (i had concerns there prior to switching). im not going back to blackberry, thats for sure.

I did read about the lack of profile settings. I really like being able to set all the tones and volumes for each separate one. I like the thought of a fast, efficient cool looking phone.

Upvote 0
A better alternative to the old profiles system, for me is: Quick Settings - Cyrket
I acces it by long pressing the search and it contains everything from volume settings (every single one), to toggling data to turning your screen into a flashlight.

So I just adjust my brightness, volume etc based on my current needs, so I don't need to figure out which one of the set profiles fits the situation the best.

One of the handiest apps I've had so far.

Upvote 0
Well, compared to any other phone, this phone's software is pretty much free as a bird :p
Meaning you'll be able to to more and tweak more through apps then on any other phone OS.
But there are ofc some restrictions. But the main reasons for rooting for most people are the custom ROMs, the ability to flash an almost entirely new OS on your phone. These custom ROMs often provide some new features or functionnality, like storing your apps on your SD card (many of these options will also appear in the next OTA update, coming soon).

I say get the phone, explore all the functions and if then there is something you find missing, see if it's available through rooting.

The N1 is also supposedly the easiest phone to root. But make no mistake, you can still eff it up :p

Upvote 0
Well the first step if you want to do something with your phone is check: "is there an app for that?"
In 90% of the cases there probably is, considering you don't want to use your phone as a slushy machine or smth :D

EDIT: Google, make my N1 a froyo dispenser, dammit! :p

Ok, I like that there are soo much to do with these things! Well I ordered it and is there any performance tweaks or ROM's that most agree upon and why? New phone a whole new set of rules. lol

Upvote 0
Well my advice is get to know the phone on your own a bit for starters, it's closer to a pc OS then any other phone I've ever had and it took me a week or 2 to understand it properly.
As for 'tweaking', the system handles it's memory pool and everything else pretty well.
The only 'tweak' I've made is installing a new homescreen launcher (which is basically just another app: HelixLauncher) which is alot faster and provides some more functionality, but the upcoming update of the OS will fix that anyway.
And I replaced the stock keyboard with the HTC keyboard, for which I created my own skin :)
For the rest it's loaded up with tons of apps, but you'll have plenty of fun discovering those on your own :) (you can use sites like appbrain or androidzoom if the market app feels lacking in search functions)

There are however some tweaks that should help with the relatively short battery life, but those require root.
Flashing your kernel with an undervolted kernel (every action takes up less power). And using setCPU to keep your processor cycles low when idle.

But again, I'd advise you to wait a while before rooting and just read lots of topics here ;)

I myself am waiting for the update of froyo before deciding if I root or not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones