1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

BBC News

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Deleted User, May 25, 2011.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Looks like the official BBC news app was just released:

https://market.android.com/details?id=bbc.mobile.news.uk

However, I am unable to download it. When I try from the above link, my phone, Epic, is greyed out. When I search the Market on my phone, I cannot find the app. Anyone else having problems downloading it?

neils31 and alan_s like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Just downloaded and installed it from the Market after reading your post.

UPDATE

This story seems to indicate that it is for UK residents/TV license payers who fund the BBC.

BBC News Android app now available - TNW Apps

Although they seem to go on to say that there will be a worldwide release at a later date! :thinking:

3. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Ah, I just hovered my mouse over my phone's name in the Market when trying to install it. It says not available in my country..... I am in the US.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

So far it seems like a top notch app. Video quality is pretty poor but I guess they've designed it with 3G in mind.

5. xmjox

xmjox Well-Known Member

w00p! Have been looking for a decent news app on Android and looks like this is the one :)

6. Fishyweb

Fishyweb Android Enthusiast

This app is rather good. Makes me an even happier license fee payer!

7. neils31

neils31 Newbie

Theres a BBC news app by jim blacker which is excellent, installing the officail one now.

8. alan_s

alan_s Newbie

Cool! I have managed to download, it looks good. Has the option of playing video too which doesn't work in the browser because of lack of flash in android 2.1

9. alan_s

alan_s Newbie

Was that when on mobile network or wifi? Video on wifi seems fine so maybe the app knows which network you're on and streams accordingly

10. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

On WiFi yep.

11. alan_s

alan_s Newbie

Hmm. not sure why you were getting "poor" video then - for me its just as good as sky news

12. janpetras

janpetras Well-Known Member

[deleted] I prefer an aggregator which allows me to gather news from a lot of different sources (Google Reader anyone).

BBC can push it's OWN news, influencing everything you know, everything you read. Agenda setting effect at it's maximum, global scale. Don't fall for it.

13. sparkerzzzz

sparkerzzzz Newbie

Anyone having problems with the video? I get sound but a black screen. Desire HD.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest